The Student Room Group

*Support for NHS students announced- aka medics, nurses, physios*

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know I would be eligible for this? Scottish Student planning to study medicine as a second degree in England.
Reply 61
Original post by Dunn0
Wait, so if i do med in 2012 my 9k fees are paid of and i dont have to repay it at all?

I would like to know this as well. Also, are EU-students coming to study in the UK eligible too?
Original post by Rand
are EU-students coming to study in the UK eligible too?

No, only UK residents (who have lived here for more than 3 years before the start of your course) are eligible.
Reply 63
Original post by PhoenixFortune
No, only UK residents (who have lived here for more than 3 years before the start of your course) are eligible.

OK, thank you! But what is it exactly? Are the 9k fees provided for by the NHS for future doctors/nurses that are UK residents?
Original post by Rand
OK, thank you! But what is it exactly? Are the 9k fees provided for by the NHS for future doctors/nurses that are UK residents?

From what I've read about the changes, that's what it sounds like, yes.
Anyone know where I can find information about the Social Work Bursary?

Apparently it doesn't come under NHS Support...but I have no clue when/how I'm meant to apply since the site below hasn't given any information on HOW to apply for 2012, since all the forms say 2011/12:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/825.aspx

I really don't want to miss any important deadlines...can anyone help? Or lead me to the right thread?
Original post by miss_colourful
Anyone know where I cants you're entitled yo Kay find information about the Social Work Bursary?

Apparently it doesn't come under NHS Support...but I have no clue when/how I'm meant to apply since the site below hasn't given any information on HOW to apply for 2012, since all the forms say 2011/12:

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/825.aspx

I really don't want to miss any important deadlines...can anyone help? Or lead me to the right thread?

That's the only information available for the time being I'm afraid. Thesocial work bursary is administrated by the NHS bursary people but is not strictly considered NHS funding. Information for the new academic year (I.e. 2012 - 2013) won't be released until May or June time. Generally the guidance on entitlement to a bursary (e.g. Residency requirements, and the income assessed part) will stay the same year on year, but the amount you're entitled to ny fluctuate slightly.
Original post by jellybeanjen

Original post by jellybeanjen
That's the only information available for the time being I'm afraid. Thesocial work bursary is administrated by the NHS bursary people but is not strictly considered NHS funding. Information for the new academic year (I.e. 2012 - 2013) won't be released until May or June time. Generally the guidance on entitlement to a bursary (e.g. Residency requirements, and the income assessed part) will stay the same year on year, but the amount you're entitled to ny fluctuate slightly.

Thanks, so basically just keep checking the site until something comes up?
Reply 68
Oh I could kiss someone. I've just seen how low the estimate is from student finance. The £1000 will be highly appreciated, I can tell you that now. Hoorah for nursing.
I am so confused. I live in Kent and will be commuting to London for my physio degree. The NHS website says their max bursary is £4737 but Directgov says this

£1,000 grant from the NHS
£3,263 maintenance loan from Student Finance England
£5,460 bursary from the NHS

I've also seen we get a reduced loan because of the bursary, does anyone know the rough figures. I'm trying to work out my costs. I will be means tested highest grant as I'm living alone on low income.

Thanks
Reply 70
Original post by dotlibbydot
I am so confused. I live in Kent and will be commuting to London for my physio degree. The NHS website says their max bursary is £4737 but Directgov says this

£1,000 grant from the NHS
£3,263 maintenance loan from Student Finance England
£5,460 bursary from the NHS

I've also seen we get a reduced loan because of the bursary, does anyone know the rough figures. I'm trying to work out my costs. I will be means tested highest grant as I'm living alone on low income.

Thanks

Are you over 25 or fit into one of the other categories to make you an independent student?

The discrepancy you're seeing is because of the studying in London increase (directgov says "up to"):

Students on university courses (which lead to registration with the Health Professions Council) for certain allied health professions may be eligible for financial help from the NHS, while studying.

Eligible students who are accepted onto approved courses will usually have their tuition fees paid in full and may receive financial support in the form of a bursary.

All eligible students will receive a £1,000 grant each year. They will also be eligible to apply for an additional means-tested bursary of up to £4,395 per year. Students in London will qualify for more (up to £5,460)

NHS Student Bursaries provides financial support to eligible students taking approved (NHS funded) courses in the following subjects.

•dietetics
•occupational therapy
•operating department practice
•orthoptics
•orthotics & prosthetics
•physiotherapy
•podiatry/chiropody
•radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
•speech and language therapy
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm 24 and live in my own rented flat, and work a minimum wage full time job. I've just read this http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorganisation/Workforce/WorkingintheNHS/DH_128397
and seen

Non-means tested grant - £1,000 Means tested bursary £4,395 Non-means tested maintenance loan £2,324

Is the maintenance loan just once a year? Also does anyone know if there's anything I can apply for to help with travel expenses? Or would that be something I apply for through the uni? Thanks for your help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by dotlibbydot
I'm 24 and live in my own rented flat, and work a minimum wage full time job. I've just read this http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorganisation/Workforce/WorkingintheNHS/DH_128397
and seen

Non-means tested grant - £1,000 Means tested bursary £4,395 Non-means tested maintenance loan £2,324

Is the maintenance loan just once a year? Also does anyone know if there's anything I can apply for to help with travel expenses? Or would that be something I apply for through the uni? Thanks for your help.

If you will still be 24 when you start you will need to prove financial independence for 3 years from your parents in order to be an independent student and not be assessed on their income.

Yes, the loan is the total for the year paid in 3 installments. There will be no other funding for travel expenses - that is what your loan/grant/bursary is for.
So are the £9000 tuition fees fully covered by the NHS in years 5 (and 6) of medicine degrees?
Reply 74
Hello. I am starting an OT degree in Sept and have been advised that, in addition to the bursary, NHS funded students are also entitled to a grant of £1000. Is this the case? If so how do we apply? I have already applied for the loan and understand the bursary application will be sent out later on in the summer.
Original post by L-2011
Hello. I am starting an OT degree in Sept and have been advised that, in addition to the bursary, NHS funded students are also entitled to a grant of £1000. Is this the case? If so how do we apply? I have already applied for the loan and understand the bursary application will be sent out later on in the summer.

Yes, that is correct. You apply for it at the same time as the NHS bursary, check the NHSBSA website for further information about when to apply (the system has changed for 2012 entry, so I'm not that familiar with it).
(edited 11 years ago)
Ooh, yay! Orthoptics students get money (although only a 'yay' if I miss my firm).
Original post by Subcutaneous
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Managingyourorganisation/Workforce/WorkingintheNHS/DH_128397

Views?...waaay overdue (by about 18months).

So seems everyone will be eligable for a £1000 grant, with a means tested bursary..and then the student loan.

Hmm..better or worse than whats on offer now for students in these disciplines?! Personally i'd much rather have this than what I'm recieving at the moment!

I'd much rather have the old system!!! As a graduate starting the accelerated medical course in september the graduates are going to be completely SCREWED, since the tuition fees are no longer going to be fully covered by the NHS in years 2-4, now we take out loans to cover them and the loans are the new STUPID HIGH INTEREST ones. Big deal if they're giving everyone a 1000 grant. That's not going to put a dent in what I'm going to have to cover.

The new system is still good, if you're anything other that a medic or dentist since they'll still fund the tuition of the other courses. Really, it's unfair and discriminating :smile:
Original post by No Future
Glad med students finally get the same funding as nursing students

They don't, nurses get 3 years worth of tuition fees paid for as well. Medics DON'T :angry::angry::angry::angry:
Original post by Funky_Climber
I'd much rather have the old system!!! As a graduate starting the accelerated medical course in september the graduates are going to be completely SCREWED, since the tuition fees are no longer going to be fully covered by the NHS in years 2-4, now we take out loans to cover them and the loans are the new STUPID HIGH INTEREST ones. Big deal if they're giving everyone a 1000 grant. That's not going to put a dent in what I'm going to have to cover.

The new system is still good, if you're anything other that a medic or dentist since they'll still fund the tuition of the other courses. Really, it's unfair and discriminating :smile:

welcome to life.

Quick Reply

Latest