The Student Room Group

Possible fate of Mr Breivik?

Just read this article, about an island prison in Norway, used for some of Norway's most dangerous murderers and drug dealers.
If Breivik is convicted as a sane man, it is likely he could end up here or somewhere similar as Norway are planning more of these prisons.
Does anyone think he could be "rehabilitated" or will his indoctrination prove to difficult to overcome?
It sure would be hard to stomach for many of his victims to see him tanning on his private bungalow porch, while watching cable TV.
Does he deserve to be punished or helped?
Would a prison system like this work in the UK, or are they too intrinsically Scandinavian to help a British criminal?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1384308/Norways-controversial-cushy-prison-experiment--catch-UK.html

PS I know it is the DM, but it is actually quite a good article, and avoids the usual sensationalism.

Scroll to see replies

Why publish Breivik trial on TV? All it will do is influence more Neo-Nazis. Brev can only get 21 years in jail. If he was in US he would get death penalty. Typical European laws too soft on criminals.

It isnt to long until UK produces a Breivik, what with all the multiculturalism and foreign people and belief that is now in the UK. A lot of UK people dont like it not sure why. that breivik has character, maybe a next Adolf Hitler?
Reply 2
Well he has himself stated that Norway's prison system is pathetic. He much prefers to die rather than get the prison sentence. It's kind of sad for Norway that even criminals laugh at their penal system. They should just execute him to be honest..it's clear that this case is a deviation from traditional cases...and the punishment should also be a deviation from the traditional sentences that criminals receive.

On another note, your sig is very annoying.
NO. Absolutely not. this guy is ****ing danger to society. Let him rot in prison.
I like how Breveik is giving Norway constructive criticism on their prison system lol. Tbh, I doubt there'll be a Breveik over here on Great Britain or in Northern Ireland because we don't have 21 years as a maximum prison sentence. I think the lack of punishment in Norway helped drive Breveik as well as the country's stupid immigration policies.
Reply 5
Bastoy's 16% reoffending rate speaks for itself.

I think the article's hit the nail on the head about it being a deeply intrinsic idea that prison's a place for punishment and deterrent, hence so many responses on any crime article being along the lines of 'let them rot'. What's the point of letting them rot in an incredibly unsuccessful punishment based system like ours or the USA's when you can slash reoffending rates massively and produce useful members of society by doing something like Bastoy? I know there's obvious societal differences between us and the Scandinavian countries but even within Norway Bastoy has the lowest reoffending rates. The nearest thing we have in the UK (open prisons) have relatively low reoffending rates too. I really don't see why we wouldn't give something Bastoy a go.
Reply 6
Original post by Mufasaa

I think the article's hit the nail on the head about it being a deeply intrinsic idea that prison's a place for punishment and deterrent, hence so many responses on any crime article being along the lines of 'let them rot'. What's the point of letting them rot in an incredibly unsuccessful punishment based system like ours or the USA's when you can slash reoffending rates massively and produce useful members of society by doing something like Bastoy? I know there's obvious societal differences between us and the Scandinavian countries but even within Norway Bastoy has the lowest reoffending rates. The nearest thing we have in the UK (open prisons) have relatively low reoffending rates too. I really don't see why we wouldn't give something Bastoy a go.

You know we're talking about someone who killed 77 people by bombing an entire street and massacring people at a youth camp, right?
Reply 7
Original post by Mufasaa

Um this is a man who has no remorse for his actions, and plans to do the same thing again if given the freedom to do so. Such people cannot be rehabilitated and no amount of working on a farm and living on a secluded island prison and all that is going to change this man's mentality. He is a complete sane person, knows the full extent of his actions, and is in full control of himself. He still chooses to kill people in order achieve his own personal ideals in society.

Not sure why you brought Bastoy up, because we aren't talking about a remorseful and guilty criminal here...he is a cold blooded and calculating monster.
Original post by Snagprophet
I like how Breveik is giving Norway constructive criticism on their prison system lol. Tbh, I doubt there'll be a Breveik over here on Great Britain or in Northern Ireland because we don't have 21 years as a maximum prison sentence. I think the lack of punishment in Norway helped drive Breveik as well as the country's stupid immigration policies.

I dont think someone like Breivik would be detered by harsher prison sentences. Usually people like that have reached a point where they have little else in their lives and dont care whether they die or spend the rest of their lives in jail.

And Britain has already had its own "Breiviks" before, David Copeland for example. There have been many would be's too. Its only a matter of time before there is another one.
Reply 9
Original post by Aaron_xyz
You know we're talking about someone who killed 77 people by bombing an entire street and massacring people at a youth camp, right?

Original post by .eXe
Um this is a man who has no remorse for his actions, and plans to do the same thing again if given the freedom to do so. Such people cannot be rehabilitated and no amount of working on a farm and living on a secluded island prison and all that is going to change this man's mentality. He is a complete sane person, knows the full extent of his actions, and is in full control of himself. He still chooses to kill people in order achieve his own personal ideals in society.

Not sure why you brought Bastoy up, because we aren't talking about a remorseful and guilty criminal here...he is a cold blooded and calculating monster.

I didn't mention Breivik. I think it's a stretch to say it'd work for him, but frankly I think the discussion should be about Bastoy and not Breivik. Something that could potentially change the world's ideas on crime and punishment over the actions of one mad man. I'm not sure if you read the link in the OP but it's about Bastoy, it doesn't even mention Breivik.

EDIT: Not to mention, if Breivik ever does end up in Bastoy it'll only be towards the end of his sentence, he'll do time in a 'proper' prison either way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Mufasaa
I didn't mention Breivik. I think it's a stretch to say it'd work for him, but frankly I think the discussion should be about Bastoy and not Breivik. Something that could potentially change the world's ideas on crime and punishment over the actions of one mad man. I'm not sure if you read the link in the OP but it's about Bastoy, it doesn't even mention Breivik.

EDIT: Not to mention, if Breivik ever does end up in Bastoy it'll only be towards the end of his sentence, he'll do time in a 'proper' prison either way.

The thread is about a hypothetical situation if Breivik ends up there and everyones' posts are about that. Your post didn't specify that you weren't talking about Breivik.. most people will assume you're speaking of Breivik unless you mention otherwise.
Reply 11
does anyone think he can be rehabilitated?
no, the man is beyond redeption imho, his 'ideals' are way to deeply ingrained to ever be righted... he's quite simply evil.
I think he's made a place for himself in the ****ing Psycho Hall of Fame, he'll be up there with Ted Bundy, Charles Manson and Kiyoshi Okubo, among others.
Reply 13
they have a maximum prison sentence of 21 years wtf that's so ****ing dumb
Reply 14
Breivik's statement that he should be either acquitted or get the death penalty. At least he's consistent.
He should be tortured.

I know two wrongs don't make a right.

But there's something very wrong with that monster. He doesn't deserve to be tret like a human being.
Reply 16
The 21 years can be extended indefinitely, for people like Breivik. However they would have reviews every five years after the 21.

Or at least thats what I read. Hope its true, that man should not be allowed in free society ever again.
Reply 17
Original post by cl_steele
no, the man is beyond redeption imho, his 'ideals' are way to deeply ingrained to ever be righted... he's quite simply evil.

Yeah completely agree, from what I've heard of him, he seems to know exactly what he's doing, totally committed to his cause and as much as I hate to say, while his views are insane, the man himself actually seems pretty intelligent and certainly isn't going to let anyone rehabilitate him. As much as I understand their maximum sentence is 21 years, they'd be utterly insane to allow him back into society again, surely there's little doubt he'd do it again?
Hang the mother****er!
I'm physically disgusted that a monster like Breivik could murder 77 people in cold blood, and be "punished" for it with a 21-year-long holiday on a beautiful Norwegian island. It's one thing to not execute him, but it's quite another to literally reward him for his crimes. Are the Norwegians begging for copycat attacks?

Have extremist views, murder children in the name of those views, be allowed to air those views to the world and taunt your victims in court, spend a few years on a pretty island, then go home. Sounds wonderful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending