The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Fallowfield, University of Manchester

I have an unconditional offer to study at UoM starting this September and have applied to Oak House, Fallowfield as my accommodation. I was wondering if anyone who lives there (or knows anybody who does) might have any advice or imformation about the place that would be useful. Also, does anyone have any idea how likely it is to get your first choice of accommodation?

Scroll to see replies

Yay, Oak House! I live there!

What sort of information are you after? I can answer specific questions, but "any info" is a little broad to end up with something shorter than a dissertation :wink:

Oak House was my first choice, and I got it, but at the same time I know people who didn't get it. It's all just luck of the draw really.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Well, I liked the look of Oak House when I visited but I wasn't there for very long and didn't see much of the surrounding area. I suppose I'd like to know stuff like how the atmosphere is there (quiet, vibrant?), where the nearest shops/pubs are and how easy it is to live in day-to-day. Are there any problems you've exeperienced?
The atmosphere is quite variable, and I would very much say that it's what you make of it. Noise (once you're past freshers week, and it does decline throughout the year) has never been excessive (I've always been able to work / sleep through it), but you still get people holding flat parties etc. Anyway, I've always found it to be quite friendly.

A map will be your friend when interpreting this, but here goes: There's a large Sainsbury's and a small Tesco / Post Office about three minutes walk away, along with various fast food joints, bars and assorted shops (including everything from a brothel to the legendary Kebab King to an abortion clinic!!). All the shopping is centred around the crossroads between Wilmslow / Moseley / Wilbraham Roads, and then extending up Wilmslow Road, opposite Owens Park & Oak House (a map is your friend here). If you want South Asian / Middle Eastern food, then there lots of shops for that on the Curry Mile (Wilmslow Road, between Dickenson Road and the Hospital or thereabouts). For other things, e.g. clothes shopping, Chinatown, you'll need to go into the city centre. It's about 3 miles, and there are direct buses from outside Owens Park / Oak House, about every three minutes, which will take you straight there.

I'd say it's pretty easy to live here - everything you need for day-to-day living is on your doorstep, and there are benefits to having the large shops half an hour away - it stops you spending so much money! I've not experienced any problems that are specific to OH - everywhere has grubby kitchens and slightly obnoxious flatmates! I've never heard of any crime like burglary or assault being committed on campus - there are fences around it and security patrols which keep local ne'er-do-wells out. Despite being near some dodgier areas, it's actually pretty safe in Fallowfield.
Reply 4
My mate put Oak House as her first choice and ended up in city centre halls instead. Its luck of the draw tbh. Fallowfields is okay, parts are a bit dodgy. Same friend lives in a private house and has been burgled twice so far. I guess it just comes with being a student area though.
Original post by Shelly_x
My mate put Oak House as her first choice and ended up in city centre halls instead. Its luck of the draw tbh.

When applying for uni accommodation, they ask you which is most important to you, out of catering arrangements, bathrooms and campus. It does mean that if you really want to avoid City / VP, then you can do.

And don't forget that there's always a few people who drop out quite rapidly. That means that people are able to move halls, so if you really don't like your halls then there's always an option to swap.
Reply 6
That's really helpful, thanks very much :smile: I've seen people saying on a couple of other threads that if you choose Oak House as your first choice, you're pretty much guaranteed to get it, but I thought that seemed a bit strange.
Original post by Adam C
That's really helpful, thanks very much :smile: I've seen people saying on a couple of other threads that if you choose Oak House as your first choice, you're pretty much guaranteed to get it, but I thought that seemed a bit strange.

I wouldn't say guaranteed, although you're more likely to get it than some other halls. Part of the reason for that is that there are 1200 rooms in OH.

Don't forget that it is possible to put OH as two choices - with and without basin.
Reply 8
Original post by Origami Bullets
Don't forget that it is possible to put OH as two choices - with and without basin.

That's what I've done. I've got my fingers crossed. I put Richmond as my third choice, which I hear is difficult to get so I'm more likely to get my other choices. That was my thinking anyway.
When applying for uni accommodation, they ask you which is most important to you, out of catering arrangements, bathrooms and campus. It does mean that if you really want to avoid City / VP, then you can do.

And don't forget that there's always a few people who drop out quite rapidly. That means that people are able to move halls, so if you really don't like your halls then there's always an option to swap.

So what would you put if you wanted fallowfield, more specifically Richmond or Sheavyn, over city? Thanks.
Original post by Mugs_Maloney
So what would you put if you wanted fallowfield, more specifically Richmond or Sheavyn, over city? Thanks.

There's a number of reasons
- Fallowfield tends to attract people who want to combine a good social life with academic work. In contrast, City tends to attract those that have a more 'blinkered' view - they are there to get their degree and making friends is irrelevant, especially with people from countries other than their own, avoiding any form of integration like the plague (the Chinese are notorious for this, and they live almost exclusively in City). Victoria Park is a bit of a pain to get to / from uni compared to other halls - it's away from Wilmslow Road, a half hour walk to uni, but too close to get a bus. It tends to attract shier sorts too, who don't want the brazen sociability of Fallowfield. Obviously, these aren't absolutes, they're just tendencies.
- Fallowfield has a big Sainsbury's, whereas in City you are limited to small Express / Metro supermarkets, which are more expensive and have less choice
- 99% of society socials that I have been to have started in Fallowfield, so if I was living
- The Armitage Centre (uni owned pitches, sports halls, gym etc.) is in Fallowfield - although in fairness City does have the Sugden & Aquatics Centres. It's also closer to some other sports facilities that I use (although this latter bit will probably be irrelevant to you)
- It's a student ghetto. Not really sure if this is meant to be a good thing, but there are so many students here that people who obviously aren't students get funny looks! Anyway, that means that everything here is centred around students.
- You get some green space around your halls in Fallowfield, which tends to be in short supply in City. And ducks! We have ducks!

And Fallowfield is just plain awesome in general. Probably the best recommendation that I can give it is that if I was going to live in halls for a second year, I'd return to Oak House. As it is, I've chosen to move out with friends, but I'm staying in Fallowfield, only a few streets away from where I currently live in Oak House.

With regards to specific halls, both Richmond and Sheavyn are nice, and within the halls, the fabric of the buildings tends to be fairly similar - the same unplastered breezeblock, the same dodgy ovens, the same desks etc. So once you've chosen what campus you want, what catering arrangements, and what sort of bathroom you want (en suite / shared) then I wouldn't worry too much what you put down.

- You get some green space around your halls in Fallowfield, which tends to be in short supply in City. And ducks! We have ducks!

I found this to be the opposite, maybe it's because I'm in WP so I'm actually in a park compared to the likes of grosvenor etc but when I went to fallowfield campus for the first time I thought I'd stepped into a concerte jungle (admittedly it was OP side, so bound to be depressing!)

and we have ducks too now :wink: One is in a puddle outside my window hahaha.

If you're really after OH, put it first twice and make sure your third is a high demand hall or something. Although it is large, I know plenty of people who put it first, then put 2 other really large halls for their second and third and got those, so that might be good tip.
There's a number of reasons
- Fallowfield tends to attract people who want to combine a good social life with academic work. In contrast, City tends to attract those that have a more 'blinkered' view - they are there to get their degree and making friends is irrelevant, especially with people from countries other than their own, avoiding any form of integration like the plague (the Chinese are notorious for this, and they live almost exclusively in City). Victoria Park is a bit of a pain to get to / from uni compared to other halls - it's away from Wilmslow Road, a half hour walk to uni, but too close to get a bus. It tends to attract shier sorts too, who don't want the brazen sociability of Fallowfield. Obviously, these aren't absolutes, they're just tendencies.
- Fallowfield has a big Sainsbury's, whereas in City you are limited to small Express / Metro supermarkets, which are more expensive and have less choice
- 99% of society socials that I have been to have started in Fallowfield, so if I was living
- The Armitage Centre (uni owned pitches, sports halls, gym etc.) is in Fallowfield - although in fairness City does have the Sugden & Aquatics Centres. It's also closer to some other sports facilities that I use (although this latter bit will probably be irrelevant to you)
- It's a student ghetto. Not really sure if this is meant to be a good thing, but there are so many students here that people who obviously aren't students get funny looks! Anyway, that means that everything here is centred around students.

And Fallowfield is just plain awesome in general. Probably the best recommendation that I can give it is that if I was going to live in halls for a second year, I'd return to Oak House. As it is, I've chosen to move out with friends, but I'm staying in Fallowfield, only a few streets away from where I currently live in Oak House.

With regards to specific halls, both Richmond and Sheavyn are nice, and within the halls, the fabric of the buildings tends to be fairly similar - the same unplastered breezeblock, the same dodgy ovens, the same desks etc. So once you've chosen what campus you want, what catering arrangements, and what sort of bathroom you want (en suite / shared) then I wouldn't worry too much what you put down.

Thanks for your help but I was meaning more like what shall I put under 'Please indicate what is most important to you when considering a hall of residence?' - campus? (If I want Richmond or Sheavyn). Ta!
Original post by tillytots
I found this to be the opposite, maybe it's because I'm in WP so I'm actually in a park compared to the likes of grosvenor etc but when I went to fallowfield campus for the first time I thought I'd stepped into a concerte jungle (admittedly it was OP side, so bound to be depressing!)

and we have ducks too now :wink: One is in a puddle outside my window hahaha.

Yeah fair play, OP does have a slight concrete jungle / council estate feel to it (as does Grosvenor, in City, to some extent), and WP does have some grass going on. However, the other halls tend to have nicer surroundings (Ashburne & Sheavyn, in particular - there's a little pond thing going on there) and most places have at least a passable amount of grass.
Original post by Adam C
That's what I've done. I've got my fingers crossed. I put Richmond as my third choice, which I hear is difficult to get so I'm more likely to get my other choices. That was my thinking anyway.

Same here. I'm so anxious to get Oak House! Waiting since December has been very long. Just a few more weeks to find out!
Reply 15
Original post by takethyfacehence
Same here. I'm so anxious to get Oak House! Waiting since December has been very long. Just a few more weeks to find out!

Do you have an unconditional offer too, or were you just very swift in doing the UCAS form this year? :biggrin: What are you going to be studying?
Original post by Adam C
Do you have an unconditional offer too, or were you just very swift in doing the UCAS form this year? :biggrin: What are you going to be studying?

Unconditional since last summer. Studying Social Anthropology, how about you? :smile:
Reply 17
Philosophy for me. Really looking forward to it now, reading all the threads about accommodation and uni life has made me desperate to get there :biggrin: I think I remember reading somewhere that being unconditional givs us a leg up in getting our choice of accommodation, so if that's true we should be set.
Original post by Adam C
Philosophy for me. Really looking forward to it now, reading all the threads about accommodation and uni life has made me desperate to get there :biggrin: I think I remember reading somewhere that being unconditional givs us a leg up in getting our choice of accommodation, so if that's true we should be set.

Same, I'm sort of gagging for it now... :colondollar: left school 2 years ago, can't wait to get back into education! I do hope so. If I don't get given Oak House I will probably try get moved... if I'm not in Fallowfield I will definitely try and move. I said the most important thing for me was self-catered, so I'm hoping they won't pop me in a self-catered hall in City or Victoria Park... just want to know now!
Reply 19
Original post by takethyfacehence
Same, I'm sort of gagging for it now... :colondollar: left school 2 years ago, can't wait to get back into education! I do hope so. If I don't get given Oak House I will probably try get moved... if I'm not in Fallowfield I will definitely try and move. I said the most important thing for me was self-catered, so I'm hoping they won't pop me in a self-catered hall in City or Victoria Park... just want to know now!

How come you've been out of school for 2 years? I've been out for one, and that's because I took a gap yar by mistake :colondollar: I'm sort of glad I did though, it's been nice to relax a bit and I've had chance to do a lot of reading.

Quick Reply

Latest