The Student Room Group

Can your firm offer be lower than your insurance offer?

As I said, I'm putting Nottingham as my firm offer, but I'm thinking of adding Durham as an insurance simply for the prospect of them accepting me despite my low scores? Does that eliminate the chance of Nottingham accepting me despite the lower score or no?
Reply 1
Yes, but you're pretty unlikely to get in.

http://www.ucas.com/students/offers/faqs/replying/faq6
Reply 2
Yeah, you can, but in most cases it will pretty much defeat the object of having an insurance in the first place. E.g if you get BBB and are rejected for your firm offer of ABB, why would an insurance of AAA accept you?
Reply 3
Yeah, I understand that. And I know the chances of a Russell Group uni accepting you even if you don't meet the requirements is low, but I feel as if it will perhaps give me a slightly higher chance even if I don't meet the cut. I'm just going by the logic that Durham replied in less than a week and gave me an offer, so I'm hoping they want me even if I don't make it despite the competition xD
Reply 4
Original post by WLDL3
Yeah, I understand that. And I know the chances of a Russell Group uni accepting you even if you don't meet the requirements is low, but I feel as if it will perhaps give me a slightly higher chance even if I don't meet the cut. I'm just going by the logic that Durham replied in less than a week and gave me an offer, so I'm hoping they want me even if I don't make it despite the competition xD

No, they're just more efficient.
Reply 5
Original post by Norton1
No, they're just more efficient.

Yeah, most likely. :P Well, I've got nothing to lose if I put that as my insurance? I don't think I made myself too clear... if I don't put Durham as an insurance, I won't have an insurance since Nottingham was initially my insurance, but I decided to apply there as a firm. :P
Reply 6
Original post by WLDL3
Yeah, most likely. :P Well, I've got nothing to lose if I put that as my insurance? I don't think I made myself too clear... if I don't put Durham as an insurance, I won't have an insurance since Nottingham was initially my insurance, but I decided to apply there as a firm. :P

Well, you don't have to have an insurance really but I suppose there's no harm in having it as an insurance if you want to.
Reply 7
Original post by WLDL3

You don't have anything to 'lose' as such. The chances of you getting in are vanishingly small, that's all.
Reply 8
Both my firm and insurance were the same requirements, if I don't get in then tough lol
It is a risk I am prepared to take!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by doughnut92
Well, you don't have to have an insurance really but I suppose there's no harm in having it as an insurance if you want to.

Original post by Norton1
You don't have anything to 'lose' as such. The chances of you getting in are vanishingly small, that's all.

Ah, thanks! ((:
I'll put it just for the sake of having an insurance. Gives me a sense of security even though I am aware the chances of getting accepted ot my insurance and not my firm are basically non-existent. (:

Original post by Kya
Both my firm and insurance were the same requirements, if I don't get in then tough lol
It is a risk I am prepared to take!

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by WLDL3
Ah, thanks! ((:
I'll put it just for the sake of having an insurance. Gives me a sense of security even though I am aware the chances of getting accepted ot my insurance and not my firm are basically non-existent. (:

Good luck! :biggrin:

No problem brate! (sorry, noticed you were serbian lol)
Reply 11
Original post by Kya
No problem brate! (sorry, noticed you were serbian lol)

Hahahahaha are you Serbian or do you just know someone? xDD
Reply 12
Original post by WLDL3
Hahahahaha are you Serbian or do you just know someone? xDD

Nah I'm not Serbian but I have a few mates from there lol
Every time I see them, I yell Zdravoooo Brateeee!

Reply 13
Original post by Kya
Nah I'm not Serbian but I have a few mates from there lol
Every time I see them, I yell Zdravoooo Brateeee!

Loooool that's great xDD I swear, you can find Serbs anywhere you go...
Original post by Norton1

Sorry, one last question. If I do put Durham as an insurance, and I'm 1 point off for Nottingham, do you reckon Nottingham will just see that I have an insurance and think, "decline" or will I have an equal minimal chance of getting in despite not meeting the requirement?
Original post by WLDL3
Loooool that's great xDD I swear, you can find Serbs anywhere you go...

Sorry, one last question. If I do put Durham as an insurance, and I'm 1 point off for Nottingham, do you reckon Nottingham will just see that I have an insurance and think, "decline" or will I have an equal minimal chance of getting in despite not meeting the requirement?

If you miss your offer at your firm they will decide wether to give you an offer based on their desire to have you on their course ... insurance/no insurance/Durham/elsewhere will all be irrelevant to Nottingham
Reply 15
Original post by TenOfThem
If you miss your offer at your firm they will decide wether to give you an offer based on their desire to have you on their course ... insurance/no insurance/Durham/elsewhere will all be irrelevant to Nottingham

Thank you! (:

Quick Reply

Latest