The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4340
It would be nice to see Murray doing well if he isn't hiding some injury from everyone. Other players I'd like to see get through are Tsonga and Roddick (who has said that this may be his last Wimbledon).
Original post by D-Box
It would be nice to see Murray doing well if he isn't hiding some injury from everyone. Other players I'd like to see get through are Tsonga and Roddick (who has said that this may be his last Wimbledon).

I would love to see Roddick go deep one last time. Heck, I'd love him to win it. Alas, he's over-the-hill and I fear there's no way back.
Reply 4342
Original post by narnia123

I'd also watch out for Stanislas Wawrinka and Irina-Camelia Begu in the women's singles, she had a good season last year and made 1 or 2 rounds in Wimbledon so a fair grass court player.

Wawrinka is going to destroy the women's draw:cool:

Spoiler

Reply 4343
Original post by TheMagicRat
I would love to see Roddick go deep one last time. Heck, I'd love him to win it. Alas, he's over-the-hill and I fear there's no way back.

He's always been one of my favourite players (mainly because of his amazing serve). It's hard to think that in a few years he and Federer will have retired and the next generation will be coming through in the Grand Slams.
Reply 4344
Original post by D-Box
He's always been one of my favourite players (mainly because of his amazing serve). It's hard to think that in a few years he and Federer will have retired and the next generation will be coming through in the Grand Slams.

The worst part is knowing that the next new slam winner will likely be younger than me. That's terrifying!
Original post by Slumpy
Wawrinka is going to destroy the women's draw:cool:

Spoiler

haha what? he's a man :L
Reply 4346
Original post by narnia123
haha what? he's a man :L

The way you wrote it, it could be taken as meaning Wawrinka was one you thought could do ok in the women's draw (if you didn't know he was a man). Poor joke:p:
Original post by Slumpy
The way you wrote it, it could be taken as meaning Wawrinka was one you thought could do ok in the women's draw (if you didn't know he was a man). Poor joke:p:

oh yeah i see it now, you're right :L
Reply 4348
I can see a Djokovic win on the Mens' side and on the Women's side I shall pick a winner out of a hat. :wink:
hoping federer lands in nadal's half, so we get a chance of a federer v djokovic on a grass court final
Original post by D-Box

I love the fact he's far from the most talented player you'll ever see but he gets what he can out of his abilities and he's a fighter. As much as I'd love him to win it, it is perhaps fitting that he'll be remembered for Wimbledon 2009 when he showed us that he is the perennial loser who never gives up. That's something for him to be proud of and I think he is since he said recently that match was his best memory.

... We can still hold out hope for an Ivanisevic style run though.
Reply 4351
Original post by Red Richie
hoping federer lands in nadal's half, so we get a chance of a federer v djokovic on a grass court final

You really think Federer would be able to defeat Nadal? This might be Nadal's least favourable surface but that doesnt make it any easier for Federer
Reply 4352
There will be a nice three way battle for world number 1 at Wimbledon:

Djokovic will remain #1 if he makes it to the final.
Nadal will become #1 if he wins Wimbledon and Djokovic fails to make it to the semi-finals.
Federer will become #1 if he wins Wimbledon and Djokovic fails to make the final.
Reply 4353
Original post by Kado

Nadal will become #1 if he wins Wimbledon and Djokovic fails to make it to the semi-finals.
Federer will become #1 if he wins Wimbledon and Djokovic fails to make the final.

Wow that's interesting.

Personally, as a Nadal fan, I really really want to see an underdog cause a major upset and possibly win the tournament. 28 out of the last 29 grand slams shared between these three is quite historical and its kind of like bullying. Someone like Murray, Tsonga, Wawrinka, Ferrer or Berdych winning it would be interesting. Unfortunately, Djokovic has got his points to rescue and Nadal also has to try step up his game aswell. Federer I'm afraid isn't up to the standard to capture that wimbledon title anymore.
... and soon it will be 29 out of the last 30.

Nadal and Djokovic are way above the pack; I can't see it happening. You would need TWO major upsets for anyone to have a chance.
Original post by Kado

How will Federer become #1 if Djokovic doesn't make the final but Nadal will only become #1 if Djokovic doesn't make the semi finals? That doesn't make sense as Nadal has a higher ranking than Federer?
Reply 4356
Original post by firebolt
How will Federer become #1 if Djokovic doesn't make the final but Nadal will only become #1 if Djokovic doesn't make the semi finals? That doesn't make sense as Nadal has a higher ranking than Federer?

Nadal was a finalist last year(1200 points to defend), whereas Federer was only a QFist(360 if memory serves). So if Fed wins, he'd gain 1640 points, whereas Nads would only gain 800 for a win.
Reply 4357
If you guys have any tennis questions for Rafa, make sure you ask them on G+. They're looking for people to ask questions and judging by some of the comments, I'm sure most of you could ask good enough questions to be selected!

http://www.menstennisblog.info/2012/06/rafa-nadal-google-hangout-on-june-22nd.html
Original post by Michael XYZ
... and soon it will be 29 out of the last 30.

Nadal and Djokovic are way above the pack; I can't see it happening. You would need TWO major upsets for anyone to have a chance.

I agree. They have both been in brilliant form this season and it will take something magical for an upset.

I still think some of the lower seeds will give them a run for their money, but i can't see both being beaten!
Original post by Slumpy
Nadal was a finalist last year(1200 points to defend), whereas Federer was only a QFist(360 if memory serves). So if Fed wins, he'd gain 1640 points, whereas Nads would only gain 800 for a win.

oh right okay i always forget that it's on a yearly cycle and get confused

Latest