The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr. Bassman
Khmer is basically muay thai and hapkido takes a lot of influences from martial arts I believe in. I'm not rigid when it comes to what I think works. You instantly reject anything used in MMA, I don't instantly reject TMAs if they offer practical usage. Most just don't though, especially self-defence styles. And no, it's always been about knives for me, if I said weapons I didn't mean it. Knives are a different story entirely. Also, why all the ad hominem? There's no need to be aggressive, if you have a fair point people will take note of it, all the ad hominem just makes you seem insecure about what you're saying.

again no point spinning this again now that your original arguemnt just got blown up. mma is a nothing, it was a buzz word for tv companies to sell pay per view . I train martial arts , i have done for years and so know what i talk about, You havent and therefore dont. So youre in no position to give me advice on what works in martial arts and what doesnt, as has been offerred to you many times, go to a decent school and experience limitations you have in your mind of TMA's youll quickly learn how backward your thinking is, like any kiddy keyboard warrior . I havent ever tried to justify myself, i just correct inaccuracies when they come up, if you didnt post so much on this thread perhaps i wouldnt need to, dont confuse for aggression. Its you that always seems butthurt when theres any mention of combat sports like mma or judo. I dont reject them, (i have for example been watching judo at the olympics) i just take them for what they are and dont fall for the brainless tv hype.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
again no point spinning this again now that your original arguemnt just got blown up. mma is a nothing, it was a buzz word for tv companies to sell pay per view . I train martial arts , i have done for years and so know what i talk about, You havent and therefore dont. So youre in no position to give me advice on what works in martial arts and what doesnt, as has been offerred to you many times, go to a decent school and experience limitations you have in your mind of TMA's youll quickly learn how backward your thinking is, like any kiddy keyboard warrior . I havent ever tried to justify myself, i just correct inaccuracies when they come up, if you didnt post so much on this thread perhaps i wouldnt need to, dont confuse for aggression. Its you that always seems butthurt when theres any mention of combat sports like mma or judo. I dont reject them, (i have for example been watching judo at the olympics) i just take them for what they are and dont fall for the brainless tv hype.

Wat. I have been training martial arts for years. See, this is the problem. You literally just say things that are totally untrue and expect people to believe them. It's just bizarre. You're trying to convince me that I don't actually have any martial arts experience and I think you genuinely believe that too X_X
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Wat. I have been training martial arts for years. See, this is the problem. You literally just say things that are totally untrue and expect people to believe them. It's just bizarre. You're trying to convince me that I don't actually have any martial arts experience and I think you genuinely believe that too X_X

not really, you claim to have trained judo. and done some kick boxing, which you claimed to be muay thai till i explained the difference to you. Barely qualifies you offer advice on anything.
then theres the various statements you have tried to make that have been disproved including those today, which fits in witht he typical untrained adolescent that gets most of his info on martial arts from youtube. You not said anything else that makes me think otherwise. hence why i get bored of explaining basic concepts to you- someone that has trained would recognise the points ive been talking about form the start.
ffs is this argument still going on? Give it a rest
Reply 1684
anybody being watching the judo latly, really glad we got silver in the womans!

though i was watching today, and a lot of big people were doing judo, i dont know how they can do it at that size, it requires lots of endurance imo... they are still quite muscley though, but some were really big!
Original post by TheJ0ker
ffs is this argument still going on? Give it a rest

argument was over long time ago when dr bassmans argument got disproved, but as usual comes the straw clutching and face saving attempts. The Martial arts forum should be reserved for martial artists and those novices that wish to learn. Not wrestling donkeys that have never seen anything beyond youtubem they have their own thread after all. This thread was so much better from pages 1-25 when it seems there were other actual practicing martial artists here too.
not really, you claim to have trained judo. and done some kick boxing, which you claimed to be muay thai till i explained the difference to you. Barely qualifies you offer advice on anything.
then theres the various statements you have tried to make that have been disproved including those today, which fits in witht he typical untrained adolescent that gets most of his info on martial arts from youtube. You not said anything else that makes me think otherwise. hence why i get bored of explaining basic concepts to you- someone that has trained would recognise the points ive been talking about form the start.

Done some kickboxing? I've had major hip surgery to be able to kickbox properly because I compete... and I have trained muay thai. You don't get to decide whether I have or not, it's fact. I just find it really weird, you're not just saying that I'm wrong, you're actually telling me that I haven't trained in certain martial arts... it's bizarre.
Reply 1687
Original post by Busby_Babe
Anyone catch the Judo yesterday? Sarah Menezes was awesome. Apparently the Brazilian Judo team have a full time BJJ coach, I think it really showed.

I can't see how a BJJ coach would help at all when barely any groundwork happens now. In fact it seems like it'd be a detriment. I remember watching Menezes but I can't remember how she won her fights. Were they ground-related wins?

Original post by TheJ0ker
I watched a bit of the judo but it was pretty boring, the boxing is waaaaay better

Judo only appears boring because of the level they're at. Everybody's afraid to attack in case they're countered.

Original post by Einheri
I'm not watching it live as I disagree with Judo being an Olympic sport and don't want to support it as such. I think the Olympics are bad for Judo (unnecessary and damaging rule changes, Olympic committee has too much power/influence over Judo even at the club level, over-emphasizing the sporting aspect, et cetera).

I sort of agree here. Although they've killed many aspects of Judo I think it would kill the sport entirely if it was removed from the olympics.
Many players I knew were suddenly crippled when they couldn't attack the legs anymore, but it's not enough to make me prefer a dead sport over this. Also if I recall correctly many of the Russian players I've fought loved to attack the legs and judging by the Russians results this year I'd say it hasn't effected them too much.
Though it does seem that people only have 3 techniques; a tominage which hasn't worked once in all of the fights i've seen, a drop seonage (everybody's expecting it) and uchi mata. I'd prefer it if you could still do pick-ups or the latz (sp?).

I haven't fought for a long time, but I have noticed there's not much ground-work. Did the rules change to keep it standing or something?
(edited 11 years ago)
This thread is essentially one long argument. I wouldn't like to guess at how many people who would quite liked to have had a friendly chat about their specific interests have come in here, maybe posted once and received no reply, and probably not posted at all because the whole thread seems incredibly hostile. So much point scoring and ego and barely a post that actually helps or encourages anyone. What's the point?
Original post by Arteta
I can't see how a BJJ coach would help at all when barely any groundwork happens now. In fact it seems like it'd be a detriment. I remember watching Menezes but I can't remember how she won her fights. Were they ground-related wins?

Judo only appears boring because of the level they're at. Everybody's afraid to attack in case they're countered.

I sort of agree here. Although they've killed many aspects of Judo I think it would kill the sport entirely if it was removed from the olympics.
Many players I knew were suddenly crippled when they couldn't attack the legs anymore, but it's not enough to make me prefer a dead sport over this. Also if I recall correctly many of the Russian players I've fought loved to attack the legs and judging by the Russians results this year I'd say it hasn't effected them too much.
Though it does seem that people only have 3 techniques; a tominage which hasn't worked once in all of the fights i've seen, a drop seonage (everybody's expecting it) and uchi mata. I'd prefer it if you could still do pick-ups or the latz (sp?).

I haven't fought for a long time, but I have noticed there's not much ground-work. Did the rules change to keep it standing or something?

they can attack the legs, but only to counter a 'leg attack' such as a foot sweep attempt.

i suppose IOC want to keep a significant differenciation from the freestyle wrestling event. tbh ive quite enjoyed watching the judo, if anything to see 35 stone men wrestling each other, which outside sumo i didnt think actually happened.
Anyone think Edgar will get the title back? If he does, I dont wanna see Edgar/Bendo III lol. Bendo Vs Diaz!
Original post by Arteta

A lot of matches seem to be grip fighting putting in some alleged "offense" then hoping the ref gives your opponents more shidos than you receive. It wasn't as bad as the greco-roman though so many rounds were decided by par-terre after a full 2 mins. of failing to get a more dominant position.

Original post by Dr Tenacious
Anyone think Edgar will get the title back? If he does, I dont wanna see Edgar/Bendo III lol. Bendo Vs Diaz!

I can't believe people actually thought Edgar won that fight. I haven't really enjoyed the silliness going on at rematch-weight. However although i hope Ben wins I can't count Edgar out.
Original post by LightningBlade
I can't believe people actually thought Edgar won that fight. I haven't really enjoyed the silliness going on at rematch-weight. However although i hope Ben wins I can't count Edgar out.

Tbh I had Edgar winning 4-1 (last night), but then I saw the fight stats and I wasn't so sure lol. Melvin got KTFO!!!
Thought some might be interested in this. Judo and Jitsu techniques used by the Royal Marines but hey they're both sports and don't work in the real world.

Thought some might be interested in this. Judo and Jitsu techniques used by the Royal Marines but hey they're both sports and don't work in the real world.

you might be a little confused love, this is generic public-display self defense demonstration

did you think hip tosses and arm bars were invented with the introduction of judo?
you might be a little confused love, this is generic public-display self defense demonstration

did you think hip tosses and arm bars were invented with the introduction of judo?

Did you listen to the audio? He clearly used Judo and BJJ terminology. Why does it pain you so much that these martial arts are effective? And I'm not a woman but good job proving your an ignorant muppet by trying to sound condescending because you thought I was female.
(edited 11 years ago)
Did you listen to the audio? He clearly used Judo and BJJ terminology. Why does it pain you so much that these martial arts are effective? And I'm not a woman but good job proving your an ignorant muppet by trying to sound condescending because you thought I was female.

who cares what terminology some demonstration intsructor used, judo terminology is not exactly ancient or unique, where do you think judo came from, evolved out of nothing? -i asked you if you genuinely think armbars and hip tosses were first invented by judo?

my tone would have been the same regardless of your gender, it is determined by your apparant ignorance on this subject, and despite this ignorance, you continue to want to contribute worthless two-cents.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1697
Hello guys

I might start to take up shotokan karate soon, I just wondered if people knew

the good points?
the bad points?
Reply 1698
What does everyone think of Jon Jones refusing to fight Sonnen?

Jon Jones was then supposed to fight Lyoto but Lyoto has now turned down the fight with Jon next month and instead Belfort gets a shot.
Reply 1699
who cares what terminology some demonstration intsructor used, i asked you if you genuinely think armbars and hip tosses were first invented by judo?

my tone would have been the same regardless of your gender, it is determined by your apparant ignorance on this subject.

Armbars, chokes, submissions and throws came from Jiu Jutsu. Jigoro Kano founder of kodokan judo then took the elements of jui jutsu that will take down any opponent with the least amount of effort and yet at the same time deadly and very effective this is judo. If you think judo is weak your making a huge mistake because it is certainly not easy not only that but you can end a fight within seconds if i were to throw an opponent full force on concrete i dont think they will be standing up after they break a few bones or even crack their skull and funny enough it is because of judo's effectiveness that BJJ got born from it but mainly focusing their game on the ground so Judo and BJJ are sister arts...a good BJJ fighter would not have an easy time fighting a good judoka...this is why most of the techniques are used in MMA which relies heavily on ground game as well as standing up game. I hope thats explained some stuff for you, enjoy ur day :smile:

Im a judoka 2nd kyu

Quick Reply