The Student Room Group

Durham medical school applicants 2013

Does anyone know the difference between PBL and the case-led approach of Durham medical school?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, I went on a PBL taster session at HYMS, and I think the main difference is that the PBL courses require much more independence, and I felt it was more nebulous. I do have a cousin at HYMS though, and he loves it.
The course at Durham feels more structured, and more teacher led instead of student led. Does this help?

P.S. Does anyone know when Durham start sending out interview offers?:confused:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
They hold interviews generally in November and in March. I had my interview last March but unfortunately had to defer for 2013 entry.
Reply 3
Thank you! So will you be starting at Durham September 2013?
Reply 4
Yes I am...perhaps you'll be joining me? Where have you applied?
Reply 5
Applied to Durham, Sheffield, Queens Belfast and St Andrews. Would love to end up at Durham ( stares dreamily into the middle distance ) :smile: So you're going to be at Durham? Would you mind me asking about your offers and UKCAT?
Reply 6
I only received one interview invitation and one offer, but Durham was my first choice anyway. My UKCAT average was 665...not brilliant but I'm in!
Both of them start the same as in you are given a case at the beginning of the week. In PBL you will work as a group to understand the case and the treatment as well as affects of society etc whereas at Newcastle/Durham the information will be given to you more readily in lectures, prossection and your learning won't depend on a group of people. I guess the case led approach gives you the opportunity to learn in a clinical based scenario so you can draw all the information you have relevantly but doesn't leave you feeling as bewildered as PBL does.
Reply 8
Well, at the end of the day you only need one offer! Well done on getting in. I'm just waiting impatiently for some sort of reply now. Fingers crossed I'll get in too :h: ! Just back to the PBL for a second. A lot of the people I've spoken to say it is really bewildering at first but you learn to love, or a least tolerate, it. Apparently all med courses have aspects of PBL in them. Hope Durham isn't too heavy on it!
Reply 9
Hey guys
I'm a Durham hopeful too and I was wondering if anyone had received interview offers yet, just hope I get one haha
No, not yet, but I wouldn't worry too much. My head of sixth form say that when Durham get an application they like to 'sit on it' (her words, not mine) for as long as possible. Is it true that interviews are called in order of descending UKCAT score, or is that just a theory people have?
Reply 11
phew I'm glad to hear that and I just want an interview like now haha :P and yeah I've heard that newcastle do that, they get the highest score and then count 1000 downwards. I don't like that idea much but what can we do :frown:
Just posting in to say I have recieved an offer to come to interview from Durham for next week. It has begun!!!:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Bagpuss7142
Just posting in to say I have recieved an offer to come to interview from Durham for next week. It has begun!!!:biggrin:

Congrats that's awesome! What's your UKCAT if you don't mind me asking?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 14
congratulations!! Yeah I had the same question also this may be the weirdest but would it be possible to know the first letter of your surname... I have a theory that they may also call you up alphabetically :P well I hope
Thank you:smile:!
Right, my UKCAT was 795 and it broke down like this:
QR: 780
AR: 700
VR: 800
DA: 900
Don't think my surname will help, as I'm an H, but could it be by area maybe? I live near York, so I'm quite close.
Reply 16
wow fantastic score!!
I just thought on how they call people up because im O and I know of other people with surnames starting like B who were called up and so on for this week and I live in Darlington haha so even closer :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by ozzy599
Hey guys
I'm a Durham hopeful too and I was wondering if anyone had received interview offers yet, just hope I get one haha

I got an interview for Durham 2 weeks ago!!!! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Bagpuss7142
Thank you:smile:!
Right, my UKCAT was 795 and it broke down like this:
QR: 780
AR: 700
VR: 800
DA: 900
Don't think my surname will help, as I'm an H, but could it be by area maybe? I live near York, so I'm quite close.

I got an interview too and I live right down in the South West!!!
Congrats Emma1995! :biggrin: Have you had your interview yet? I'm really panicking about mine, so it would be nice to have some insight.
P.S. What was your UKCAT score? If you don't mind me asking.

Quick Reply

Latest