The Student Room Group

SHL numerical test

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone knows any good websites for these tests? I have to do a SHL numerical (financial data) test... Thanks

Scroll to see replies

mos def, check your PM's mate :smile:
Reply 3
I have, nothing now. (I replied to your ones last night).
Reply 4
Btw, what kind of % do you need in verbal and numerical to pass? If it differs for banks, what is it on average?

Cheers
i believe it varies as you said from bank to bank, although 70-80% would likely be the norm

+ shl tests are supposedly easier than the phl ones so you would need at least in the 65%+ ball park range as bare minimum
Reply 6
Mos Def
Btw, what kind of % do you need in verbal and numerical to pass? If it differs for banks, what is it on average?

Cheers

Can't comment oj averages, but the SHL numerical cut-off for DKIB was the 80th percentile. I'd use that as an approximate benchmark.
Reply 7
Cheers guys
Reply 8
I hate those tests!!
no time to even think lol
Reply 9
These idiotic SHL tests are just another reason to reject an applicant, I'm sure that everyone will appreciate that investment banks attracts many 1000s of applications and many of them do get the min entrance requirements of min BBBs & expectd 2:1.

When I went for interviews long time ago, they were new and were on paper format and over the years they got replaced by the PC versions. These tests don't test any form of numerical or verbal ability it is just to see whether the applicants have gone the extra mile to be hired. An dedicated applicant would have done many hours of practice reflecting that the candidate is ambitious... hungry to succeed...and done his home work.

But I would agree you need to have at least 70-80% and depending on how well the sitting class did, this could be pushed higher or lower.

Rule is simple: the more you exercise (i.e. under timed condition) the better you'll get!
Reply 10
Hmmm, reli911, I think you're building the tests up to be something they're not. It should not take five hours practice to master a one minute question.

As for the pass mark, is there one? I would've thought the test results were used to filter applications down to a sensible number, and then used in conjunction with CVs to decide who to invite to interview.
some banks (i.e. Credit Suisse, maybe DB) use PSL tests, these are different in that you can go back to the previous question and the graphs don't look as if they've been drawn by a 3 year old in a hurry.

I personally find PSL tests much easier than SHL tests as the questions are simple in that they ask you to work something different (%, fraction, currency conversion) out, rather than SHL where I have to spend precious seconds decoding the *******ing question before realising that all its asking of me is to find (?) using: (X/Y) = (Z/?). then I have to spend ages scouring the midget graphs trying to find X,Y and Z variables before giving up and randomly guessing.

ah, rant over.
efinancialcareers.co.uk has some practice tests you can do, its not phl but its still practice
Reply 13
pukey
Hmmm, reli911, I think you're building the tests up to be something they're not. It should not take five hours practice to master a one minute question.

As for the pass mark, is there one? I would've thought the test results were used to filter applications down to a sensible number, and then used in conjunction with CVs to decide who to invite to interview.

I agree that these tests aren't something special if they were they wouldn't be in the 1st stages... My point is that SHL tests are used by HRs to have a reason to reject the applicant. I can assure you if you apply for sales and trading and you do badly you won't pass the 1st stage... unless you have a stellar application (i.e. 1st class, number of internships...) many banks won't waste all the money and effort for tests where the results aren't taken seriously. Also, in my view, you can't fluke SHL tests, you need practise to do well, get used to the format, type of question etc... it has similarities similar to the GMAT for MBA or SAT (i.e. in the states) or MCAT (Medical)
i've just done shl numerical and verbal tests for a summer event (not internship), and they are not fun. for me the verbal element is so much harder.

does anyone know how much weight there is behind each of the tests? so if i do well in numerical but flunk verbal will they still consider me? or is it that if you fail one element then no matter how well you do in the other one they'll still reject you?
you have to pass both to get through,

on 2 occasions i've passed the numericals and failed the verbals...i really need to practice those damn verbals.
Reply 16
I wonder who left me neg rep. Next time leave your name. Hypocrite.
Yeah, I hate the SHL ones. Because of the time constraints (like someone said earlier, you have to decode so much rubbish), it's normal not to complete these, and so don't guess the last few, as I think they actually penalise you. I did a few applications this year to test them out ([noparse]:wink:[/noparse]), but I'm going to have practise these a lot for next year when I properly apply for internships in my penultimate year. The practice SHL ones are different to the actual ones, like the currency stuff is missed out. But I guess they're just put in different contexts (which may catch people out due to unfamiliarity) since they're basically all ratios and percentage changes.

Practise-wise, I guess you can buy psychometric books...
Reply 18
I don't think the pass mark for these tests are 80%.... I think they should be around 70%
sio06
I don't think the pass mark for these tests are 80%.... I think they should be around 70%

i think they do it by percentiles. so even if you've acheived 70% in the test but 90% of other applicants achieved above your score, then you are in the 10th percentile - and banks might only take people in the 80th or 90th percentiles. So, in a nutshell, it depends on how well other people do as well as on what you get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending