The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer: Can i accept new Masters offer?

Hello there:smile:

I'm Rizal from Malaysia. About 2 months ago, I received an unconditional offer to do my postgrad at the University of Nottingham, in which I firmly and happily accepted. The intended course will commence 24 September 2012. After a while, I decided to apply to other universities as well. Recently I have received 2 more unconditional offers from the University of Sheffield and University of Swansea. Right now, Im planning to accept the offer from Sheffield. My question would be, is it possible to change/withdraw the initial decision of accepting Nottingham and choose Sheffield instead? Am I going to be 'blacklisted' in doing so? Really need some prompt advice(s) here!..Thank you....:colondollar:
Reply 1
i dont think you will be blacklisted. Call Nottingham and explain to them your situation, its your only option. I know of people who have been successful in these circumstances so you do have a chance. Anyhow, why would did you accept the offer so quickly?
Original post by rizalptd
Hello there:smile:

I'm Rizal from Malaysia. About 2 months ago, I received an unconditional offer to do my postgrad at the University of Nottingham, in which I firmly and happily accepted. The intended course will commence 24 September 2012. After a while, I decided to apply to other universities as well. Recently I have received 2 more unconditional offers from the University of Sheffield and University of Swansea. Right now, Im planning to accept the offer from Sheffield. My question would be, is it possible to change/withdraw the initial decision of accepting Nottingham and choose Sheffield instead? Am I going to be 'blacklisted' in doing so? Really need some prompt advice(s) here!..Thank you....:colondollar:

You can do it, might be wise to accept Sheffield first and make sure that is in writing before declining Nottingham. At post-grad level the universities don't know where else you have applied unless you tell them, so there is no black listing potential. Do the decent thing and act as soon as you can though, then Nottingham may be able to re-offer that place to someone else.
Reply 3
Thanks a mil for the prompt replies... With regards to Sheffield, I was being notified via email, stating that the hard copy would follow suit. So, how do I go about? Do I have to write a formal letter, or would it be suffice to send an email to the respective Departement/School at Notts?....
Reply 4
Pakman,
The reason I accepted Nottingham was purely based on the course offered. I wanted to do international security and terrorism, and it seems (at that point of time) that Nottingham offers the best modules. But the thing is, my sponsor asked me to reconsider (if possible, it's not a MUST), due to the fact that Nottingham, unfortunately is not being listed on the top 7 university in the School/Department of Politics and International Relations (according to RAE 2008). So, that's why I applied for Sheffield, though I had to make due with Contemporay Global Security:frown: But the best part is, it took Sheffield only 9 days to give me a decision, compared to the agonizing game of waiting from the previous University. BUT still, honestly Im still not sure of which Uni to choose, though I've accepted Nottingham. Any suggestions?
Reply 5
Original post by rizalptd
Pakman,
The reason I accepted Nottingham was purely based on the course offered. I wanted to do international security and terrorism, and it seems (at that point of time) that Nottingham offers the best modules. But the thing is, my sponsor asked me to reconsider (if possible, it's not a MUST), due to the fact that Nottingham, unfortunately is not being listed on the top 7 university in the School/Department of Politics and International Relations (according to RAE 2008). So, that's why I applied for Sheffield, though I had to make due with Contemporay Global Security:frown: But the best part is, it took Sheffield only 9 days to give me a decision, compared to the agonizing game of waiting from the previous University. BUT still, honestly Im still not sure of which Uni to choose, though I've accepted Nottingham. Any suggestions?

I'd contact the sponsor and ask them how important it is that you change your course.

If it isn't imperative, I'd have thought it would be best for you to stick with Nottingham, since that is the course that you really want to do.
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Which brings us to the question: why accept offers so early? Wouldn't it make sense to wait until you hear back from all the schools you applied to before accepting any offer?
I don't think you should worry about the league tables...in my opinion nottingham is better
Reply 8
Thanks for all the comments. I guess, being a non UK person, gave me a jolt of excitement upon receiving the offer from nottingham. That's why I quickly accepted it. Anyways, I only got to know about my sponsor's concern (to seek for universities with a top 7 spot for the intended school/department) after I've informed them about accepting the offer from Notts...
I wouldn't hold too much by the league tables and would go for the uni that I feel has the best modules and course for me. Try explaining this to your sponsor maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending