The Student Room Group

LSE postgrad applicants 2012-13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Thank you for all replies.

Yesterday I've sent an e-mail to my collage to inquire about official grading system.

They answered that they use scores (100 as the highest mark) officially and each score can be classified by A/B/C/D. According to scores, my overall score is 79/100
and 79 is regarded as B in my collage. And GPA seem to be calculated only for internal use, I'm not sure though. Anyway most Chinese universities use scores rather than GPA. But I don't understand why LSE mentions GPA in their guideline for the applicants graduate from Chinese univ.

I would like to know if grade B can be considered as better class.
If they regard A as first class, then B would be upper-second. Then I can meet minimum requirement. Though 79 doesn't seem to be a high score, but my collage regard it not bad, because normally 90 is considered as the highest. Am I too optimistic?

In addtion, there isn't GPA grade in my transcript, instead there are scores and A/B/C/D grades. So, I think I might not be able to submit GPA since I don't have evidence to support it.
Reply 181
Original post by flying_ramen
What does 2:1 be equivalent of when converting to GPA on a 4 scale? Is 3.6/4 considered 2:1? I am confused.

They have an entire section on the graduate admissions site related to the conversion of international grades to a 2.1. Look for yourself.

Another thing to note is that it seems that every university has a different idea of what is equivalent to a 2.1. I remember the University of Manchester's was much lower than LSE's.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/informationForInternationalStudents/countryRegion/Home.aspx
Reply 182
No offers before christmas? :frown:
Reply 183
Original post by Franzel

I just PM'ed you :smile:
Original post by bhob
I was always under the impression that first you have to meet the minimum academic requirements, THEN they take into account things like work experience.

From the LSE website:

"All applications are considered on their individual merits. Our selectors consider not only the marks on your transcript but also the academic references, personal statement and any additional test scores. If there are extenuating circumstances to your grades, please make sure that your referee(s) mention them. Your application will be strengthened if your GRE/GMAT score (if required by your chosen programme) is high. Please bear in mind, however, that competition for places is intense, and therefore if your grades are lower than the general requirements, you are correspondingly less likely to be offered a place. "
Reply 185
Original post by Franzel

As it seems we will have to wait :frown:
Reply 186
Original post by Requiem87
As it seems we will have to wait :frown:

last year they send out offers on dec 15th and the year b4 that around the 20th. so i'm still hopeful. :smile:
Reply 187
One day left in that perspective. Anxious.
Reply 188
so no offers yet for lse huh. i recall reading somewhere that their courses close in mid feb, i guess january's gonna be a key period
Reply 189
Anyone's tracker down? Mine is.
Reply 190
i have read that if you are made an offer you can ask to be considered for another program and if you are unsuccesful you still have the initial offer (thats a fact).

anybody have experience with this? do you think chances are high (i.e. that this is merely a formal issue) especially if the other course is in the same department?
Original post by luby24
Thank you for all replies.

Yesterday I've sent an e-mail to my collage to inquire about official grading system.

They answered that they use scores (100 as the highest mark) officially and each score can be classified by A/B/C/D. According to scores, my overall score is 79/100
and 79 is regarded as B in my collage. And GPA seem to be calculated only for internal use, I'm not sure though. Anyway most Chinese universities use scores rather than GPA. But I don't understand why LSE mentions GPA in their guideline for the applicants graduate from Chinese univ.

I would like to know if grade B can be considered as better class.
If they regard A as first class, then B would be upper-second.

WES suggests that 79 in China is , indeed, equivalent of a B average:

http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp

in US a B is equivalent to 3.0 GPA, or borderline between 2:2 and a Third in UK.

This is way below minimum for LSE.
Original post by e-lover

Original post by e-lover
Anyone's tracker down? Mine is.

Mine is not. Is yours still down? Maybe they are updating your status!!!
Reply 193
Original post by flying_ramen
Mine is not. Is yours still down? Maybe they are updating your status!!!

Sadly not :frown: It's the status quo.
So the 15th is here!!! And my tracker has updated to.... nothing. It's still the same as it has been for over 2 months...grrr. Hope when others check they find something a bit more fruitful.
i dont think you should go with the 15th, the year before it was 20th, a better rule of thumb would be before they break off for christmas, ie sometime early next week or tomorrow. lets hope.
Reply 196
I think they update trackers on Fridays, so we might hear from them tomorrow...
Reply 197
Original post by Seagull234
i dont think you should go with the 15th, the year before it was 20th, a better rule of thumb would be before they break off for christmas, ie sometime early next week or tomorrow. lets hope.

We should stop with the speculating - it's no good for health! :tongue:
Reply 198
Two weeks ago I applied for Msc in Management Science (Opeerational Research), still waiting for my second referee to submit his reference letter.

Pretty nervous already....even though I know that I still have to wait for several weeks/months!

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 199
I think we all really need to calm the hell down, have an ice tea or something... i know its hard people but at this rate we'll be in straitjackets and a padded cell :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending