The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Salam alaykum.

I have a question on the Prophet Isa alayhi salam.

What does it say of him in the Quran?

Is he sinless but made mistakes?

I'm relatively confused on this issue.

Jazakullah Khair.
Reply 41
Original post by Diabolic99
Salam alaykum.

Jazakullah Khair.

Walaikum Assalam.

In the Quran Allah says that he is a Prophet. You can read the translation of the Quran, Surah Maryam, here http://quran.com/19 -- it starts from about Verse no. 16. Also there is quite a bit about it in Surah Aal Imran http://quran.com/3 -- it starts from Verse no. 35, with a bit of background on Mary(am) (alayha assalam).

Also, from what I know, prophets in Islam are considered sinless, and also are people who do not make mistakes.

What is the confusion do you have? And what are the 'mistakes' you're talking about?
Reply 42
Original post by Bouchra
Walaikum Assalam.

In the Quran Allah says that he is a Prophet. You can read the translation of the Quran, Surah Maryam, here http://quran.com/19 -- it starts from about Verse no. 16. Also there is quite a bit about it in Surah Aal Imran http://quran.com/3 -- it starts from Verse no. 35, with a bit of background on Mary(am) (alayha assalam).

Also, from what I know, prophets in Islam are considered sinless, and also are people who do not make mistakes.

What is the confusion do you have? And what are the 'mistakes' you're talking about?

Just to add a little bit; The Prophets in Islaam were the best of mankind and were infallible in the transmission of the message, i.e, the did not forget anything, nor did they deduct or add anything to what Allaah (swt) ordered them, not a major nor minor sin was committed in this regards.

As for sins in other regards, they never committed major sins but were not infallible regarding minor sins but if they committed such actions they were not left to persist therein, rather Allaah (swt) pointed that out to them and they hastened to repent therefrom. May Allaah (swt) make them a constant reminder to the Muslims and guide us like he guided them..
Reply 43
Original post by GabGirl
To the best of my knowledge what you've said is correct.
I would like to add the Quran tells the believing women to cover themselves and there are ( i assume ) many well documented hadith regarding the muslim women of that time covering by wearing a headscarf and a jilbab

the reason i assume is because as you've already said its the majority opinion which would be based on evidence from hadith.

yesit does say that women have to cover themselves up and guard their modesty but it first talks about the mans' modesty in the verse before (24:30 and 24:31)
Why are most of the prophets mentioned in the Qur'an Jewish/Greek?
Asalumu alaikum, couldn't find the Muslim society, or whatever it's called, on here, but it's still relevant if I post this in here. I have a few friends who are great friends in truth, but I want them to become Muslim and enjoy life by leading a much better lifestyle. Any duas, or anything similar, that can help let them see the truth of this beautiful religion?
Reply 46
Original post by El Ferrari
Asalumu alaikum, couldn't find the Muslim society, or whatever it's called, on here, but it's still relevant if I post this in here. I have a few friends who are great friends in truth, but I want them to become Muslim and enjoy life by leading a much better lifestyle. Any duas, or anything similar, that can help let them see the truth of this beautiful religion?

Do you want a specific dua for you to ask Allah to guide them? Or do you mean what are the best ways of doing Dawah to them?

As far as I know, there are no specific duas, you can just simply ask Allah to guide them.

If you are asking for the best ways of doing Dawah, I must tell you first of all that you cannot force someone to convert to Islam, you just have to try your best in making them realize how good Islam is, not force them to do so. You must be good to them, show them how good Islam is by your actions more than by telling that to them. Also, I would suggest you to invite them to lectures and gatherings at mosques/Islamic centers. If they are open to the idea, you can give them a copy of the translation of the Quran, pamphlets on Islam, etc.

Hope this helped.
Reply 47
Original post by SaintSoldier
Why are most of the prophets mentioned in the Qur'an Jewish/Greek?

I don't remember any prophets mentioned in the Quran who were Greek. However, most of the prophets mentioned in the Quran are also mentioned in the Injeel and Tawrah (Bible & Torah), because in Islam we believe that all prophets were sent to convey one and only message to humankind, that is: to believe in One and Only God.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Bouchra
I don't remember any prophets mentioned in the Quran who were Greek. However, most of the prophets mentioned in the Quran are also mentioned in the Injeel and Tawrah (Bible & Torah), because in Islam we believe that all prophets were sent to convey one and only message to humankind, that is: to believe in One and Only God.

Hope this helps.

Is Alexander the Great (Dhul-Qurnayn) a prophet? He's Greek.

My point is, if there are truly 125,000 prophets, as stated by the Hadith, then why are the only ones mentioned from Muhammad's own local area? If their message was one and the same, then why not mention prophets from other nations? Like India, China, Japan, America, Australia; why do they not have any prophets?
Reply 49
Original post by SaintSoldier
Is Alexander the Great (Dhul-Qurnayn) a prophet? He's Greek.

My point is, if there are truly 125,000 prophets, as stated by the Hadith, then why are the only ones mentioned from Muhammad's own local area? If their message was one and the same, then why not mention prophets from other nations? Like India, China, Japan, America, Australia; why do they not have any prophets?

As far as I know, Dhul-Qarnayn was not a prophet. He was a very good leader though, and had a huge empire. But I don't know whether he is Alexander the Great or not.

There are prophets that have been mentioned that aren't from Makkah, actually all the prophets except Ismail (AS) were actually not from Makkah. Even Prophet Ismail (AS) was not from Makkah, but he did live there from childhood.

It is said in the Quran that there are many other prophets whose names or stories haven't been mentioned, because their stories weren't as significant as the ones that were mentioned. If you notice also, there are a few prophets whose names only have been mentioned, whereas others whose names haven't been mentioned, but their stories have been mentioned (the prophet in Talut's time, some say his name is Samuel, I'm not sure). There are other prophets whose names and stories both have been mentioned, some only once, others repeated many times in different contexts due to their significance (Prophets Moses, Jesus, Abraham, Adam and Noah). Some have many pages with their stories, others have just a few verses.
Do muslims hate jews?
Original post by chiller_123
Do muslims hate jews?

Do children hate clowns?
Original post by Person1001

Do children hate clowns?

Some children do and some don...Oh I get it! :biggrin:
Was the Caliphate of the Rashidun mandated by the Prophet?

If so, why was there deliberation on the matter?
Reply 54
Salam alaykum.

Jazakullah Khair.

All prophets were sinless. But yes they could make mistakes
Reply 55
Does anyone here know a reason why some people dislike Zakir Naik? I remember a couple of years ago some people saying he said something that renders him untrustworthy, perhaps it was something about the prophet saws, but that's about all I can remember. Does anyone know?

nb: I'm not asking for a long, slanderous post against him... just can't remember this specific reason for dislike that was derived from something he said regarding the prophet.
Remember Thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the believers, I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers, Smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger tips of them." -

I keep getting people asking me about this verse. I'm pretty this was during the battle of Uhud where the army of the Prophet PBUH were losing and then this was revealed. I don't want to say something that's incorrect so if anyone can give me context into this verse, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Jazakullah Khair.
Reply 57
Remember Thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you: give firmness to the believers, I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers, Smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger tips of them." -

I keep getting people asking me about this verse. I'm pretty this was during the battle of Uhud where the army of the Prophet PBUH were losing and then this was revealed. I don't want to say something that's incorrect so if anyone can give me context into this verse, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Jazakullah Khair.

Salaam,

It was the battle of Badr.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Was the Caliphate of the Rashidun mandated by the Prophet?

If so, why was there deliberation on the matter?

i dont fully know the history about the successor, but all i know is that the right person was elected and that was Abu Bakr (may allah be please with him)
Hi. In surah al-baqarah what is the special favour referring to?

"O Children of Israel! call to mind the (special) favour which I bestowed upon you, and fulfil your covenant with Me as I fulfil My Covenant with you, and fear none but Me. "

Latest