The Student Room Group

Shorts and Flip-flops?

I'm not having a go, but I really don't understand why people insist on wearing this combination of clothing all the time. Could someone explain it to me?

At my uni, every male seems to wear shorts and flip flops at all times of the day.

Going to breakfast in the cold at 8am: Hoodie, shorts, flip-flops.
Going to a lecture at 9am: Hoodies, shorts, flip-flops.
Going out in the evening (admittedly, less people do it, but still): Hoodie, shorts, flip-flops.

It seems incredibly impractical to wear such items of clothing all day. I can understand the fashion angle of wanting to show off your Jack Wills cut-off jogging bottom things (although personally i'd never do this), but why pair it up with some flimsy, plastic, white flip-flops when the temperature is barely going over 10 degrees? This was going on in winter, too. It's beyond me. Could anyone shed some light on this? Is it purely fashion? If so, it must be the stupidest fashion trend since the sequin era.

Scroll to see replies

I did it at uni cause its quick and easy. Roll out of bed put on a pair of shorts, slip on the flip flops and head to lectures.
To be honest, I wish I could do it - it looks so comfortable. Not so acceptable for girls though :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Tokyoround
I did it at uni cause its quick and easy. Roll out of bed put on a pair of shorts, slip on the flip flops and head to lectures.

Surely it's quicker, easier and more comfortable to slip into some slip on shoes and jogging bottoms or something?
Original post by I Gurn Hard
Surely it's quicker, easier and more comfortable to slip into some slip on shoes and jogging bottoms or something?

No, no its not.

Have a race with your flatmates (assuming you have some) and find out.
Reply 5
Original post by Tokyoround
No, no its not.

Have a race with your flatmates (assuming you have some) and find out.

Why did you ignore the ease and comfort points? I'd prefer to be able to walk around campus without worrying about getting filth all over my feet, or falling flat on my face, or freezing half to death in the rain while waiting outside a lecture theater, the list goes on. Saving a few seconds on getting dressed surely doesn't outweigh these problems?
Reply 6
Because of multiculturalism.
I dunno but I wish people didn't, I hate feet.
Original post by I Gurn Hard
Why did you ignore the ease and comfort points? I'd prefer to be able to walk around campus without worrying about getting filth all over my feet, or falling flat on my face, or freezing half to death in the rain while waiting outside a lecture theater, the list goes on. Saving a few seconds on getting dressed surely doesn't outweigh these problems?

Because those are relative. Just because you don't find it comfortable doesn't mean another person feels the same.
I don't know, but I do know that here we call them flipflop waankers.
Reply 10
A guy in my class at college is like that. He's always wearing shorts even around the time when it snowed.
Reply 11
Laziness appears to be taking its toll.
Reply 12
I think quite a few guys try to appear as if they didn't put any effort/thought into what they're wearing
Reply 13
I saw Kady Harring wearing army pants and flip-flops and so I went out and bought army pants a flip-flops
It's not as stupid as chinos, and yes, im addicted to shorts and flip flops combo! haha. I just like it.
I do this late spring - late Autumn as it generally is the most comfy combination for lectures/seminars/exams. Far too cold for it just now, though.
Who doesn't want t be like Mark Zuckerberg?
Reply 17
Original post by Octohedral
To be honest, I wish I could do it - it looks so comfortable. Not so acceptable for girls though :frown:

Er, why not?!
I saw someone wearing this ensemble when it was snowing. Dedication!
Reply 19
Men shouldn't wear flip flops unless they're on a beach or in the immediate vicinity of a swimming pool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending