The Student Room Group

Does your parents swear (at you)?

I have seen some parents (especially mums) swearing at their 10 year old sons (like in supermarkets). Example: "f******* hell, just keep it there".

Personally I think this is very bad parenting.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i know, just as bad as misbehaving kids. hate to tink what its like at home...
Reply 2
then they wonder why their kids turned out to be chavs
Yes, but never when I was 10.
No. No one in my house does. We are civilized. :u:
You should hear my neighbours. They're always swearing at their kids. I'm quite sure they beat them too. Their kids are horrible.. it's probably because of the parents!

My Mum does swear sometimes, but not much. And only because I'm older so it's not like what she says now will affect how I grow up.
(edited 11 years ago)
When I was about 9 I went round to my best friend's house and her mum and dad were swearing at her almost constantly. They wouldn't bother if she swore in front of them either and once she swore in front of her gran. I felt really uncomfortable about it all because my parents never swore in front of me and I never swore myself. :colondollar:
Reply 7
My mum is an intellectual snob, she has never done it, never does and never will :redface:
My dad doesn't live with me so no idea :frown:
Reply 8
My parents don't swear when speaking to each other and they never swore when being in communication with me.
Reply 9
My parents wouldn't even have dreamt of swearing at me.
No they don't and never have.
Reply 11
Original post by blueray
No. No one in my house does. We are civilized. :u:

I fail to see how not swearing makes you any more civilised than any other person. They're only words, used by great writers like Shakespeare and Chaucer, society only dictates these words to be unclean or bad however I fail to see what seperates them from any other word in the english language, they all have a purpose.

And not when I was a young lad, my dad liked to swear at the football on the tv but not at me, because generally speaking swearing portrays anger or a seriousness which is often not aimed at kids and I suppose they were also of the opinion theres something wrong with swearing. Occasionally now I'm older though, in the way you'd jokingly call someone a ****er or tell someone to piss off when they're joking around bugging you.
Or the odd argument.

If I were to swear around my own children I would make sure they knew the proper usage of it in english. And (no **** sherlock) how to be respectful but logical around others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Megaross
I fail to see how not swearing makes you any more civilised than any other person. They're only words, used by great writers like Shakespeare and Chaucer, society only dictates these words to be unclean or bad however I fail to see what seperates them from any other word in the english language, they all have a purpose.

And not when I was a young lad, my dad liked to swear at the football on the tv but not at me, because generally speaking swearing portrays anger or a seriousness which is often not aimed at kids and I suppose they were also of the opinion theres something wrong with swearing. Occasionally now I'm older though, in the way you'd jokingly call someone a ****er or tell someone to piss off when they're joking around bugging you.
Or the odd argument.

If I were to swear around my own children I would make sure they knew the proper usage of it in english.

I stopped reading after that.
I've always grown up hearing swearing, unfortunately. My mum and brother (who is younger than me) swear at me a lot but my dad and other family don't. I started swearing when I was about 10, and infront of my parents too, I grew up hearing a lot of it not just from my parents.
When my mum swears its quite thrilling, not only is it a reminder that she's human, but it gives me license to slip in a bad word here and there, thus spreading the thrill.
My mum does.

My dad never does though, hearing a 'bloody' coming out of him is amazing...
Reply 16
Original post by blueray
I stopped reading after that.

He has a point. It's just words which society dictated to be offensive. For example "****er" is not a swear word in America. It is used freely on television over there (eg the simpsons) While saying it over here results in people like you thinking the utterer is a barbarian, saying "****er" in America results in people thinking you are a posh English guy. obviously swearing too much is bad just like saying "carroting dougnut blast" too much would be bad. My teacher once said that people who swear a lot do it because of a lack of vocabulary. but saying the f word every so often does not make one uncivilized.
Never at me.

Mum swears occasionally (if she drops something, stuff like that), but I'd bet my last pound if I swore in front of her I'd be in big trouble. :rolleyes:

I've never heard Dad do it though.
Yeah when i was really little, my dad called me a "son of a ****" once. which basically means he was swearing at himself lol.
Reply 19
No, but they have used the word 'bloody' when they have been angry, but only twice and I was old enough

Quick Reply

Latest