The Student Room Group

Why on earth is Breivik's trial being broadcast?

Why is Anders Breivik's court hearing being broadcast? He killed 77 people simply to draw attention to his views and now he is being given the air-time to express them.
This is something he appreciates having the opportunity to do so why on earth is he being allowed to do it?
Just my thoughts...

Scroll to see replies

A trial held in secret would give off the impression that their government wanted to hide his looney claims. Breiviks's supporters would use this to their advantage and give him a sort of martyr image.

It is also in the public interest, many of those affected will want to see the trial.
It's not? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I was also under the impression it wasn't also. Or him explaining his motives can't be broadcasted via tv.
Reply 4
His testimony won't be aired. Just some parts of the actual trial...his views, etc won't be shown.

Also, why do you care if they broadcast it? The world deserves to know about this fool..why keep things like this hidden?
Reply 5
Original post by chaza01
Why is Anders Breivik's court hearing being broadcast? He killed 77 people simply to draw attention to his views and now he is being given the air-time to express them.
This is something he appreciates having the opportunity to do so why on earth is he being allowed to do it?
Just my thoughts...

The time he spends on the stand isn't being broadcast specifically to deny him the air-time to express his views.
Reply 6
Where can I watch it?
Reply 7
Original post by .eXe
His testimony won't be aired. Just some parts of the actual trial...his views, etc won't be shown.

Also, why do you care if they broadcast it? The world deserves to know about this fool..why keep things like this hidden?

Oh, I see, I just assumed that the fragments of the case broadcast on the news meant that the entire thing would be broadcast. Nevertheless, he was allowed to read a 30 page document boasting of his attacks.
Reply 8
Original post by SummerAnthems
A trial held in secret would give off the impression that their government wanted to hide his looney claims. Breiviks's supporters would use this to their advantage and give him a sort of martyr image.

It is also in the public interest, many of those affected will want to see the trial.

Firstly, we don't broadcast trials here, so your first point is rather invalid. Oh and I haven't got a second point.
Reply 9
What difference does it make?

His 1500 page manifesto describes in GLORIOUS detail his views, even how to lie to get hold of bomb material etc ...

The people who 'are a danger to society' already share his viewpoints and the contacts needed

so silencing him now does very little
Reply 10
Original post by .eXe

The only reason I cared was because he appreciated it, and personally I hoped his life would be free from such pleasure. The world is well aware of his views, and they are not being discussed (as they are such ridicule).
Reply 11
Original post by Frugo

His 1500 page manifesto describes in GLORIOUS detail his views, even how to lie to get hold of bomb material etc ...

The people who 'are a danger to society' already share his viewpoints and the contacts needed

Again, I only proposed silencing him to deny him the attention he seeks, for it brings him great pleasure - I think he shouldn't be given any pleasure.
Reply 12
Original post by chaza01
Firstly, we don't broadcast trials here, so your first point is rather invalid. Oh and I haven't got a second point.

http://news.sky.com/home/supreme-court

:confused:
Reply 13
Original post by chaza01
Again, I only proposed silencing him to deny him the attention he seeks, for it brings him great pleasure - I think he shouldn't be given any pleasure.

Dude,

he will get attention regardless of whether he speaks or not
Reply 14

Oh right...Excuse my ignorance...Then what was this recent debate regarding whether trials should be broadcast or not?
Reply 15
Tbh I don't even think this guy deserves a trial. Waste of money and time. Just execute him and be done with it...seriously.
Reply 16
Should air it imo

This just reaffirms the beliefs of those who already agree with him, those who don't won't get sucked into it no matter what.
Reply 17
Original post by Frugo

I am amazed at how detailed this guy's work is.

Just astonishing.
Reply 18
Original post by .eXe

Tbh if they are going to one side have their case broadcast he should have the right as well.

Actually read a bit of the document, his actual beliefs I kinda agree with to some respect, how he went about acting on them was horrendous.
Reply 19
Original post by Idle
Tbh if they are going to one side have their case broadcast he should have the right as well.

Actually read a bit of the document, his actual beliefs I kinda agree with to some respect, how he went about acting on them was horrendous.

do you know where I can find the document? I'm interested in reading it too. and yeah his side should be broadcast too (not because I think he deserves it, but so the public in general can be better informed)

Quick Reply

Latest