The Student Room Group

***Official Summer 2012 & Off Cycle Internship Applications***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5640
Original post by lilys
I may be wrong but I thought only confirmed Masters offers count - if not, any graduate could possibly say they were going to pursue further study just to get an internship normally reserved for penultimates and then say they 'changed their mind' or sth.

Correct
I think that some banks accept summer internship applications from either final years, or those who are final years with the intent to study a masters. Some definitely only want penultimate year students.
Is this thread for university students only?
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Is this thread for university students only?

You can't do summer internships at the IBs unless you're at university, unless its a spot of nepotism. So the answer is yes.
Original post by Tsunami2011
You can't do summer internships at the IBs unless you're at university, unless its a spot of nepotism. So the answer is yes.

Hmm I heard of someone getting a week shadowing but I guess that's not really the same thing.

Thanks for the clarification :getmecoat: but... you're pre-uni too aren't you?
Original post by yothi5
Correct

Not correct. Since when are masters places confirmed in September/October the year before... Oxfords 1st deadline isnt until Mid October, and the 1st people were getting LSE offers around Early December, with the majority after the new year. Other places (non top schools), you can apply even in the summer, a few months before starting.

I just put down what was my 1st choice of masters study or location, or (where permitted) listed what I was applying for. I had internship offers and non of them have followed up for proof or confirmation of study, other than the odd passing question in an interview.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Tsunami2011

that is incorrect.. if u look hard enough you will find a few banks that offer pre uni students paid summer internships in front office divisions.
Reply 5647
Is there still much money to be made in a career as a Trader?

What are your views?
Reply 5648
Original post by isolba

What are your views?

A trader in a hedge fund; proprietary firm; investment bank? What asset classes? Extremely broad question.
Reply 5649
Original post by Raditz
A trader in a hedge fund; proprietary firm; investment bank? What asset classes? Extremely broad question.

This.

Also define 'much money'.
Reply 5650
Original post by Haz313
This.

Also define 'This'.

Useless post.
Original post by isolba

What are your views?

I hear business at spitalfields is booming, so yes.
Reply 5652
Original post by Raditz

Original post by Haz313
This.

Original post by uni-mon
Also define 'This'.

Useless post.

Original post by stevenjohnh

Bearing in mind that most Investment Banks have either, already closed proprietary desks, or are in the process of winding down their proprietary desks, in conjunction with the Dod-Frank Act enforcing Traders to have salaries based on their spreads and no longer their P&L, do you think Traders will still be pocketing big bonuses?

Or does flow trading still reap big bonuses?

(Please consider an Investment Bank as the domain i.e Traders in an investment Bank, big bonuses relative to peers e.g compared to an M&A guy)

If you can give me some rough figures- mean average, mode, upper/lower extreme- please do.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by stevenjohnh

Original. Never seen that joke on the TSR before
Did anyone get into DB for the summer? I have just had my interviews last week and waiting for results now. Was wondering other people already receive feedback?
Reply 5655
Original post by St.Hermans
Did anyone get into DB for the summer? I have just had my interviews last week and waiting for results now. Was wondering other people already receive feedback?

Surprised they're still interviewing. Which division?
Corporate Finance... (CIB)
Anyone had or know anything about the a Santander GBM AC?

I'd be very greatful for advice, or to know if it differs at all from the usual..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5658
Hey, anyone working in JPM Technology this summer? Especially as an application developer.

If so, has anyone heard any specific details about what they'll be doing yet? They said we'd hear from out hiring manager at around this time and I'd like to at least know if I'm working in the City or in Canary Wharf!

Edit: Negged for this? Odd :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5659
Which IBs consider applications for Summer Internship roles from 3rd year undergraduates who intend to study for their Masters?

So far, I know GS and JPM do.

Quick Reply