The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4620
Original post by hubble
Claycroft's not a favourite?

I'd love to know that too as my first two choices are Claycroft and Tocil for now. Any up to date pros and cons of both halls would be much appreciated :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by electriic_ink
And I believe Rootes J-L (and A-C ?) were refurbished last summer.

A-C definitely was.

Was in M in October and the kitchens didn't look like the A-C ones (Ikea chairs, etc). Photos of M block at the start of thread are from Oct 2011.
Reply 4622
Original post by partickler
Just photographs, unfortunately. Can't manage a visit to the university... I heard that they double-glazed it :smile:.

Where do you plan on applying? Sorry if you mentioned it, the size of this thread is too intimidating :P.

Oh I'm actually in my third year and still have a fourth year to go. At the moment I'm living in Canley but I was in Westwood in my first year.
Reply 4623
I spoke to the Warwick Accommodation department who told me there are no plans to restrict Tocil, meaning it should be available. They said they won't definitely be able to tell us until the forms are actually released though. Tocil was going to be one of my options so really hope it's available! :smile:
Original post by ellakhawkins
Hi everyone!

I can't decide which halls to go for. Tocil was exactly what I wanted, but since it's not an option I'm trying to find the next best thing. I'm thinking Westwood at the moment as I'm not massively keen on partying but like a drink now and again, plus I'm in Theatre and Performance which is right next door to the halls.

How much of a problem is the number of people to a kitchen and how much space do you have to store kitcheny things? And what's it like being so far away from the union?

It's either that or Lakeside at the mo and I just don't think I can justify paying almost £30 more a week for kitchen size!

I'm doing Theatre and Performance too! Yay hi! :smile: I'm going for Rootes because my best friend is there this year and absolutely loves it, I've been in her room and it's really good sized and seems like an amazing atmosphere :smile: xx
Just wondering, by having an unconditional, does that increase my chances of getting my first choice because I have met all the conditions including getting the grades far before 31st August?
Reply 4626
Original post by Deep456
Just wondering, by having an unconditional, does that increase my chances of getting my first choice because I have met all the conditions including getting the grades far before 31st August?

No - conditional offers become unconditionals anyway when the exam results are out. Housing uses some algorithm which I'm almost 100% sure doesn't take into account the conditionality of your offer, since by that time the people who are considered all have unconditional offers and hence coming to Warwick.
Original post by Narev
No - conditional offers become unconditionals anyway when the exam results are out. Housing uses some algorithm which I'm almost 100% sure doesn't take into account the conditionality of your offer, since by that time the people who are considered all have unconditional offers and hence coming to Warwick.

So wait, even if I hold an unconditional offer, I won't find out where I will be allocated until well into September?
Reply 4628
Original post by Deep456
So wait, even if I hold an unconditional offer, I won't find out where I will be allocated until well into September?

Yep. You'll find out with the rest of everyone else at the same time (or maybe a day or so difference).
Original post by Narev
Yep. You'll find out with the rest of everyone else at the same time (or maybe a day or so difference).

Mare, cheers bud, have some pos rep.
Just so you know, the kitchens and bedrooms in AV1 (and maybe the other AVs) are being refurbished over summer-so they will be as nice if not nicer than Bluebell's, and a lot cheaper :smile:
hey anyone has any idea about the latest accommodation,Sherbourne ? i m planning to apply for one that is en suite so... it's gonna be either lakeside or sherbourne
THX!!
Reply 4632
Original post by XstreaMoon
hey anyone has any idea about the latest accommodation,Sherbourne ? i m planning to apply for one that is en suite so... it's gonna be either lakeside or sherbourne
THX!!

Have a look at the first page of this thread, post 4 for some info TheTallOne has put together http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=338591
Reply 4633
Original post by ellakhawkins
Ahhhhhhhhh, you're the first person I've found who's doing theatre! Have you had your offer long? Westwood is literally right next to theatre and the walk to the union is about 20 mins. I'm thinking of getting a bike to get to the library and union to save time, plus I might get some exercise XD.

:biggrin: I got my offer in February, so a fair few months :smile: How about you? I'm umming and erring between Westwood, Cryfield and Whitefields at the minute :smile:
Reply 4634
Guys, take a look at this: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/accommodation/studentaccommodation/all/campus/residences/

I'm sorry to say quite a few that were first year undergraduate last year are not this year, ie Lakeside and Tocil. Also Hurst is not an option at because it is being knocked down. The information for the new accommodation, Sherbourne, is on that page.

PS I know Sherbourne says it is for final year undergraduates on one page, but it is for first year undergraduates. =)
can someone tell me what rootes and westwood are like? i mean the pros and cons of it all.
Reply 4636
Original post by royalpain93
can someone tell me what rootes and westwood are like? i mean the pros and cons of it all.

Your username is...quite apt. Have you tried reading the first page?
Original post by royalpain93

I can do a mini breakdown. I've visited Rootes many times, but have never been inside Westwood, so someone else can fill in the gaps there.

Rootes:

Pros:
- Lively place. It has a reputation for being the most social hall on campus.
- Lots of rooms. Therefore you are likely to get there if it's your first choice. It also makes it very easy to mingle with other people as there are so many of them!
- Decent sized rooms.
- Many people to a kitchen. Great for making friends on the first couple of days/nights.
- Close to the SU, and about 5-10 minutes from central campus lecture theatres.

Cons:
- Can be too lively, especially if you fancy sleeping over the term (though a nice pair of ear plugs does the trick apparently :tongue:), though it does settle down after freshers.
- Not ensuite (only minor)
- Not enough kitchen appliances to hold the number of people (only minor)
- Has a very aged feel to it. Could definitely do with a makeover, especially on the outside (though apparently kitchens and rooms are being seen to soon if they haven't already).

Westwood:

Pros:
- Big rooms (apparently).
- Has it's own campus feel to it. It's away from the busyness off campus.
- Has a shuttle bus at night to ferry you between there and campus for when you don't want to/feel uncomfortable to walk home.
- Has the postroom.

Cons:
- It's about 15 minutes off main campus, and an absolute age from Gibbet Hill - fine if you like early morning starts, but it doesn't mean you can roll out of bed 5 minutes before lectures.
(Since I haven't had a proper look around, I can't tell you too much else)

Hope that helps! :smile:
Does anyone know if Sherbourne will have a common room like AV?
Original post by Meeeck
:biggrin: I got my offer in February, so a fair few months :smile: How about you? I'm umming and erring between Westwood, Cryfield and Whitefields at the minute :smile:

I got mine in December :smile:. I'm definitely leaning towards Westwood at the mo since it's right next door to where we'll have most of our lectures and it sounds like the sort of atmosphere I'd like to live in. BUT all the negativity towards it is kinda putting me off a little bit XD. I'm going to have a look where it actually is on the open day in a couple of weeks and poke my nose around a couple of the others before I apply :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending