The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2740
i bought 2004 corsa today :biggrin:
Reply 2741
If you go to look at an Astra, make sure you take it on a long test drive. I find Astras have really uncomfortable seats. It's like sitting on concrete and they have poor support imo. You'll probably want a good test to see how you get along with them.
Original post by FXX
If you go to look at an Astra, make sure you take it on a long test drive. I find Astras have really uncomfortable seats. It's like sitting on concrete and they have poor support imo. You'll probably want a good test to see how you get along with them.

Oh really? Thanks for the head up, I'm kinda leaning towards either a VHall Corsa or a Ford Fiesta now ><

How much do you think the insurance should be roughly for a 1.8 VHall Corsa, with 2 named drivers (with clean records) and parked in a secure location area over nights? :redface:
Original post by ShiFty Kid
How much do you think the insurance should be roughly for a 1.8 VHall Corsa, with 2 named drivers (with clean records) and parked in a secure location area over nights? :redface:

Go on to various insurer's websites and check for yourself - it is the only way to get an accurate figure since the cost will depend on factors such as your estimated mileage, postcode etc.
Reply 2744
Original post by ShiFty Kid
Oh really? Thanks for the head up, I'm kinda leaning towards either a VHall Corsa or a Ford Fiesta now ><

The 1.8 models are pretty nippy so I suspect insurance will be pretty high. They're also quite popular with boy racers so that won't help. There's only one way to find out though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FXX
The 1.8 models are pretty nippy so I suspect insurance will be pretty high. They're also quite popular with boy racers so that won't help. There's only one way to find out though.

I've been quoted £1,300 by Admiral with my 1 years no claims :smile: This sounds pretty reasonable to me for a 1.8
Reply 2746
Buying first car, got around £1500-1750 budget, I'm only 17

Any recommendations?
get yourself a corsa, 1.2. They're cheap, reliable, and they don't look too bad either. Obviously on your budget you're looking at an 05-06ish reg
Pretty simple questions I need answering if possible;

A) A list of good first cars to buy?

B) How much should you spend on your first car?
Reply 2749
Original post by e1usive
Buying first car, got around £1500-1750 budget, I'm only 17

Any recommendations?

mazda mx-5 mk1 1.6

Can get a decent example within your budget. Will also be a car that none of your mates have, and much better/more fun to drive too. Search around for insurance deals, you'll probably be able to get insured for around the same as your mates with 1.2 corsa's 206's and iestas are paying.
Reply 2750
Original post by Maccees
1.6 3 door astras are pretty safe bets as well if you want to give them a look.

Why neg?

I had one as my first car! It broke, a lot. I would be very hesitant to buy another.

(I didn't neg you, that was someone else)

Still have very fond memories of it, and it was by far the best car in the school car park! :biggrin:

Skoda Fabia or VW Polo?

I'm leaning towards the Fabia. The Polo is slightly more expensive I've seen and I really dont mind the look of the Fabia.
Original post by 1992LP
I had one as my first car! It broke, a lot. I would be very hesitant to buy another.

(I didn't neg you, that was someone else)

Still have very fond memories of it, and it was by far the best car in the school car park! :biggrin:

I was talking about the newer shape ones, the 1.4/1.6 versions don't have any 'faults' that are likely to happen :tongue: The bigger engines have a few problems though. No idea about the MK4's though haha, they still do look sweet though.
Reply 2753
Original post by Maccees
I was talking about the newer shape ones, the 1.4/1.6 versions don't have any 'faults' that are likely to happen :tongue: The bigger engines have a few problems though. No idea about the MK4's though haha, they still do look sweet though.

Ah ok! The 1.4 and 1.6 in the mk5 are very slow though, pretty much the same engine that the mk4 had and in a car that weights a lot more. I had a 1.4 as a company car briefly (while the Focus TDCI was getting tyres) and it was a hateful thing. I couldn't believe how slow it was!

The worst thing was, it wasn't even economical because you had to push it so hard to keep up with traffic. Best avoided I think! The 1.8 VVT engine is nice in the mk5, as are the 1.9 CDTI engines but I would imagine they cost a bit more and like you say, are prone to more faults.

The mk4 was a nice car, but I had so much trouble with it. Ended up trading it in against a mk3 Mondeo for £50 less than I paid for it the year before :biggrin:
Reply 2754
Any one looking for a car try a yellow Submarine their fab
Original post by 1992LP
Ah ok! The 1.4 and 1.6 in the mk5 are very slow though, pretty much the same engine that the mk4 had and in a car that weights a lot more. I had a 1.4 as a company car briefly (while the Focus TDCI was getting tyres) and it was a hateful thing. I couldn't believe how slow it was!

The worst thing was, it wasn't even economical because you had to push it so hard to keep up with traffic. Best avoided I think! The 1.8 VVT engine is nice in the mk5, as are the 1.9 CDTI engines but I would imagine they cost a bit more and like you say, are prone to more faults.

The mk4 was a nice car, but I had so much trouble with it. Ended up trading it in against a mk3 Mondeo for £50 less than I paid for it the year before :biggrin:

I have the 1.6 MK5 and it's nippy enough for me at the moment haha, although I'm quite bored of it now :/

Do you still have the focus? I heard they aren't very good to drive?
Reply 2756
Original post by Maccees
I have the 1.6 MK5 and it's nippy enough for me at the moment haha, although I'm quite bored of it now :/

Do you still have the focus? I heard they aren't very good to drive?

I used to think my Astra was a flying machine, just wait until you drive something properly quick!

The focus was a company car, but I really liked it. Drove very well, but some of the dashboard plastics were a bit cheap. I much preferred the Mondeo that I owned at the time.

If you have some no claims you would be surprised at what is insurable for a young driver :smile:
Reply 2757
haha yeah, couldn't agree more. I see a lot of people saying their small engined hatchbacks are susprisingly "nippy", or fast enough. As soon as you drive something quicker your views of what is quick will change rapidly.

Quicker cars are safer cars anyway.....now before someone negs me or announces I'm a boy racer or something. Quicker cars nearly always have better brakes, better handling, more grip, more responsive, and the power to overtake someone and get back on the left hand side quicker, thus endangering yourself and other road users less.
Reply 2758
What car should I get?

I'm looking for a sporty kind of car, that is not too expensive.

My choices are:

Nissan Silvia
Nissan 300zx Twin turbo
Nissan Skyline R31
Nissan Skyline R32
Nissan Skyline R33
Nissan Skyline R34 (If I can find one that fits my budget)
Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO
Mitsubishi FTO
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Evo (If I can find one that fits my budget)
Toyota Celica
Toyota MR2
Toyota Supra (If I can find one that fits my budget)
Subaru Impreza WRX STI
Mazda RX8

Which one is the most powerful?
Which one has the best handling?
How much will the insurance cost?

I would like the Nissan 300zx, as it is powerful and it has a large engine (it also is pretty cheap). I keep changing my mind as the Nissan Skyline is my favourite car, but the 3000gt and the Eclipse look better.

I will also be customizing the car, I'll be adding nitrous oxide, better brakes and maybe better suspension (this will happen about 4-12 months after buying the car).

What car do you think I should get?

What other cheap, powerful cars are there?
(edited 11 years ago)
yaris!