The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DK_Tipp
Lung capacity wouldn't really be a deciding factor in an event lasting less than 10 seconds!

I thought about that, yet for some reason still decided to post :teehee:
Reply 121
Original post by OurConcern
Yes of course we are. Race has been used as some sort weapon and armour for a while now. Its certainly isnt an objective concept but why do you say its not natural? I thought the whole thing is just natural human/animal instinct something we use to protect ourselves.Looking at it logically of course its just shambles.Its destructive.

I guess I sound as if i'm contradicting myself?I know what you mean but its a fun question for me because of all those questions that arise from it. There are so many ways to look at it. If we were asking on a serious scientific note the question would only need to be'what makes a good sprinter?'

I probably should not have said natural, just objective. My point is that any division of people into racial classes is somewhat arbitrary and completely nominal. There is no absolute trait that we can say makes a black person different than a white person. There is no Aristotelian essence of black people compared to white people...and the sort of question the OP asked imply that there is.

Now it might be natural to want to see people as different 'races'...or it might not be, but just because we might naturally want to claim a proposition is true doesn't make it true!
Original post by Barden
One's genes don't change in one's lifetime.

The only genes you have are those you are born with, and these are the only ones you can pass on.

I'll use oxen as an example of why you are wrong. If you work an ox hard throughout its life, resulting it being more muscular than if it had been left alone in the wild, it's offspring will be no more likely to be more muscular. Genes cannot be altered.

However, if you take two oxen which are naturally more muscular than average, because of their genes, then their offspring will have a greater chance of being of above average strength.

Go and read up about genetics instead of arguing with a zoologist about it...

This is true because Darwin's theory of evolution disproves that other dudes one which said that if an animal uses one trait regularly e.g. a giraffe cranes its neck, it gets longer and passes it on, which shows that the slaves theory of why blacks are better are sprinting is wrong, it mos probably dates back to when humans were evolving into the modern man, and we had to survive predators and such, fossils show that there were deadlier animals in Africa than Europe.
Original post by Steevee
The difference being then that Malcolm X was a minority, and Nick Griffin is part of the majority. Malcolm X wanted rights for his people, Nick Griffin wants to maintain the way the country is, without degredation, in his view. Not so different in my opinion. The reason you see one as a racist and one as a hero is....because one is a minority and one is part of the Majority. I think neither of them are people to look up to.

Also the irony of you posting a picture of a young Nick Griffin when we have clearly shown that Malcolm X was a racist extremist in his early days :lolwut:

You're unbelievable (in thinking that race is somehow the defining trait in whether or not an individual's views deserve respect or not).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
The difference being then that Malcolm X was a minority, and Nick Griffin is part of the majority. Malcolm X wanted rights for his people, Nick Griffin wants to maintain the way the country is, without degredation, in his view. Not so different in my opinion. The reason you see one as a racist and one as a hero is....because one is a minority and one is part of the Majority. I think neither of them are people to look up to.

Also the irony of you posting a picture of a young Nick Griffin when we have clearly shown that Malcolm X was a racist extremist in his early days :lolwut:

Yes in his early days something which he publicly repented and endeavoured to change, funny how people can overlook that.

I don't recall once Griffin ever apologising for his offensive views and taking steps to mend his reputation?

Also I don't see Malcolm X as a hero because he belongs to a minority it's more the reason I just aluded to, the fact that he had the balls to admit he was wrong (very wrong) about his past views. Like you I had a massive dislike for Malcolm until I went away and actually read about the man. Millions of people in the US and abroad regard him as a hero and as an inspiration.

I for one would salute Nick Griffin if he publicly repented his views tomorrow. I'm not denying that Malcolm X made extremist views to deny that would be a total lie but as I said it was his courage to admit that he was wrong and make a concerted effort to rectifying his wrongs; that deserves respect and it's got nothing to do as to whether he's black or white (technically he had "white" blood in him as his grandfather was a Scotsman).

Also Malcolm X never proposed that black and white people be treated differently. Yes he did propose separation of racial groups but that was (back in his extremist days) because in his opinion blacks and whites could enjoy equal rights (which at the time clearly wasn't possible in a mixed socieety). Griffin proposes restoring the demographics to what it was prior to the 1940s and that this idea that you can only be British if you're white which is ludicrous and that White British people should be given preference (the indigenous people as he refers to them as) in job and social welfare allocation and if that isn't racial discrimination then I don't know what is.

He also proposes that those already settled here who or not "ethnically British" should be offered money to "go back to their countries of origin" which I think is a disgusting and insulting concept to those like myself who were born, raised and educated here and are proud to call ourselves British.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Yes in his early days something which he publicly repented and endeavoured to change, funny how people can overlook that.

I don't recall once Griffin ever apologising for his offensive views and taking steps to mend his reputation?

Also I don't see Malcolm X as a hero because he belongs to a minority it's more the reason I just aluded to, the fact that he had the balls to admit he was wrong (very wrong) about his past views. Like you I had a massive dislike for Malcolm until I went away and actually read about the man. Millions of people in the US and abroad regard him as a hero and as an inspiration.

I for one would salute Nick Griffin if he publicly repented his views tomorrow. I'm not denying that Malcolm X made extremist views to deny that would be a total lie but as I said it was his courage to admit that he was wrong and make a concerted effort to rectifying his wrongs; that deserves respect and it's got nothing to do as to whether he's black or white (technically he had "white" blood in him as his grandfather was a Scotsman).

Also Malcolm X never proposed that black and white people be treated differently. Yes he did propose separation of racial groups but that was (back in his extremist days) because in his opinion blacks and whites could enjoy equal rights (which at the time clearly wasn't possible in a mixed socieety). Griffin proposes restoring the demographics to what it was prior to the 1940s and that this idea that you can only be British if you're white which is ludicrous and that White British people should be given preference (the indigenous people as he refers to them as) in job and social welfare allocation and if that isn't racial discrimination then I don't know what is.

He also proposes that those already settled here who or not "ethnically British" should be offered money to "go back to their countries of origin" which I think is a disgusting and insulting concept to those like myself who were born, raised and educated here and are proud to call ourselves British.

Although the crux of our counter-arguments are the same, yours was far more eloquent.

Brilliant post.

The highlighted bits in particular separate the two.
Reply 126
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster

I'm not equating them as equals, merely as similar individuals. Especially in that Nick Griffin has infact repented of any racist views, but sticks to his ethno-nationalist agenda. However I firmly believe that Malcolm X has recieved treatment far different to that he would of if he was White, especially when people are taught about him today. I mean, what I was told of him certainly glossed over his NOI days.
Reply 127
Original post by Drunk Punx
I thought about that, yet for some reason still decided to post :teehee:

Hey, sure why not throw it out there anyway, eh?!
Original post by Steevee
I'm not equating them as equals, merely as similar individuals. Especially in that Nick Griffin has infact repented of any racist views, but sticks to his ethno-nationalist agenda. However I firmly believe that Malcolm X has recieved treatment far different to that he would of if he was White, especially when people are taught about him today. I mean, what I was told of him certainly glossed over his NOI days.

I'm not disagreeing there about Griffin he certainly isn't as "hardcore" as his NF Youth days but he certainly hasn't gone as far as equal rights for all notion be they white or black.

You have to appreciate that whether we like to admit it or not Afro-Americans were subjected to an awful lot of discriminaton and prejudice which has given rise to the glorfied imaage you are perhaps refering to. But I don't think that necessarily means that people are willing to overlook racism whatever the source (but Malcolm X was certainly not of the racist variety, post NOI days anyways).

It's a bit like this "anti-racist is codeword for anti-white" thing that is infesting forums and youtube videoes. Nobody has ever said that racism is "acceptable" if it's black on white as opposed to white on black etc. Racism is wrong (and illegal in he UK at least) whoever is directing it at whom.
I've read that it's a lot more to do with culture than genetics, I'm not sure of how true that is. Although many dark skinned people, in particular Jamaicans, have a high percentage of fast twitch muscles, it's been proven that 60% or so of white people also have this type of muscles. However, apparently the difference is that running is BIG in Jamaica. They have top training facilities and the belief that they can win, because they have so many top athletes competing on the world scene. There aren't many other sports that they compete in, generally, so all the top athletic types, rather than going into other sports, go into running. Parents and families see running as a way to get to the top, so they're hugely supportive, and kids see it as a way to become a superstar and have a better life, so they train like hell. And they have a very supportive coaching structure so that athletes get all the help they need to make it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App