The Student Room Group

university economics- what subjects?

Trying to aim for the best universities for Economics, i.e. Cambridge, Warwick, Exeter/Durham, but im not sure what subjects I should take for A-level; \I have completed my GCSEs. Currentl I'm taking Econ,Physics,Politics,Maths and FM, but I've heard that Physics is hard, and I'm thinking of either dropping it after AS, or just choosing a completely different subject instead of Physics. Also, is it worth taking FM, because I have heard not taking FM at all is better than getting a B in it; I am probably like the 10th best in the year at Maths atm, but I'm not sure how I will do in FM. Btw, I did Ad Maths
Reply 1
Economics is very Maths-based at the top universities, so Further Maths would be advantageous (I am taking AS FM next year). But it is certainly not essential, only Maths is. Helpful subjects would be Economics, History, Physics etc.
Reply 2
dont really want to take history; taking politics instead, but I was wondering, is dropping physics after AS valuable for good unis? Or is it not really that hard? If not, what subjects should I do instead?
Reply 3
If you do drop physics and replace it with some other subject, I strongly suggest History, as WayneCorp said... I think it's important to understand how the current economic system came into existence and how production has changed throughout time when you study economics... Though Physics is also very interesting.
I don't think physics is too hard, and the mechanics section really compliments M1 and M2 in maths/further.
Reply 5
lk thanks for the feedback, guys, but seeing as im taking 5 AS-levels, do you think Physics is worth taking for A-level?
Original post by HASH1SICKUNT
lk thanks for the feedback, guys, but seeing as im taking 5 AS-levels, do you think Physics is worth taking for A-level?
Unless you're doubtful about whether you can do well at it at AS I think you should just see where you get to - Other than having maths and one decent essay subject I'd say the next most important consideration is going to be what will you get the best grades in. If, after AS, you don't reckon you can hammer out at least an A in Physics then drop it, if it turns out that another subject is your weakpoint then you may need to keep it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by MancStudent098
Unless you're doubtful about whether you can do well at it at AS I think you should just see where you get to - Other than having maths and one decent essay subject I'd say the next most important consideration is going to be what will you get the best grades in. If, after AS, you don't reckon you can hammer out at least an A in Physics then drop it, if it turns out that another subject is your weakpoint then you may need to keep it.

sound advice, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending