The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Anyone at Winchester School of Art?

I've not come across anyone who attends here yet! Maybe they just don't on this forum??

Anyone attend there? I'd be really interested.

Scroll to see replies

I just got an offer today but its not my first choice. I'd like to know more about it too before I decide.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Oh did you have an interview? I've got mine today :smile: Looks like a really tight campus and friendly that's for sure. Winchester is a lovely place.
Reply 3
kittensmittens
I just got an offer today but its not my first choice. I'd like to know more about it too before I decide.

Oh did you have an interview? I've got mine today :smile: Looks like a really tight campus and friendly that's for sure. Winchester is a lovely place.
No, I didn't have an interview. I'm an international student from Canada so I just sent them my portfolio on CD and they accepted me for Textile Design post-grad. I wish I could visit the campus before I make a decision but its too far!!!
DTR

So how did your interview go?
Reply 6
kittensmittens
So how did your interview go?

Well i'm not sure. I'm not very confident that i'll be accepted. The course is graphic arts and my whole portfolio is photography and they spoke about me not being used to education and if i'd cope etc and have I thought about doing a lower course first etc...

So i'm not holding my breath. I've gone off the course a bit and would rather do fashion photography at London college of fashion but i've probably got even less chance of getting in there because it's so popular etc.

pretty bummed.
aww that sucks :frown: Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Good luck with LCF! UAL is way too popular ugh...my first choice is Central Saint Martins and I am going crazy every single day waiting for the results!!
Reply 8
kittensmittens
aww that sucks :frown: Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Good luck with LCF! UAL is way too popular ugh...my first choice is Central Saint Martins and I am going crazy every single day waiting for the results!!

haha guess what, i've been accepted :biggrin:

still want to apply to LCF aswell though.
Reply 9
I too have been accepted to Winchester School of Art, for fine art. It was my 2nd choice when i applied, but i dont know much about it, just that Winchester looks nice and that it has a good reputation. I am seriously considering going there now, so i want to know more too!
Reply 10
SteelApathy
I too have been accepted to Winchester School of Art, for fine art. It was my 2nd choice when i applied, but i dont know much about it, just that Winchester looks nice and that it has a good reputation. I am seriously considering going there now, so i want to know more too!

Very nice well done! What was your 1st choice?
Have you been to the uni or open day? It's a really cosy and friendly environment from what i've seen. The campus is like in a cul-de-sac so no through road so it's just students.
In fact most of Winchester is just the students going to WSA and old people haha.
I've been there twice and all I could see were students.

Winchester is a lovely place to live aswell and the halls are nice enough and only a 10 min walk, all on suite with a kitchen between 10 people I think, or was it 5, I forget.

If your course sounds good then it should be a good choice. I'm only having doubts about whether my course is right for me now.
I haven't actually put in my first choice yet but i think its going to be Norwich for Visual Studies. Not sure though, i'm so fussy. And the Visual Studies course is so different to a Fine Art course.

I do like the look of the course at Winchester and i spoke to the guy who interviewed me about it a bit, but i was so nervous i forgot half of the things i wanted to ask, so i really need to find a student who goes there to find out what it's really like i think.
I went to WSA for an open day today to look at Graphic Arts and was very impressed. Really friendly environment, facilities were amazing and Winchester is a nice place, think I might end up going there. Although I've heard nothing from them yet concerning my application.
What's best is they give you £400 towards a macbook!!!
I had my interview for Graphic Arts a month ago and received an offer (although my interview was awful).
I thought Winchester was a really nice town, but I wasn't so sure about the school itself. I didn't get to look around all the studios, but from what I did see it seemed a little sterile?
I doubt I'd put it as my firm or insurance choice, unless I get no more offers! :frown:
Reply 14
elliotshikari
I went to WSA for an open day today to look at Graphic Arts and was very impressed. Really friendly environment, facilities were amazing and Winchester is a nice place, think I might end up going there. Although I've heard nothing from them yet concerning my application.
What's best is they give you £400 towards a macbook!!!

Have you not had an interview or heard anything about it? If I were you i'd email them and just see what's going on.

Yeah it's good they give you £1000 per year bursery from the uni plus £400 toward macbook or camera or something. Tempting!
Reply 15
insomniac89
I had my interview for Graphic Arts a month ago and received an offer (although my interview was awful).
I thought Winchester was a really nice town, but I wasn't so sure about the school itself. I didn't get to look around all the studios, but from what I did see it seemed a little sterile?
I doubt I'd put it as my firm or insurance choice, unless I get no more offers! :frown:

Possibly, what do you mean by sterile? I wasn't really sure what to expect as haven't had the chance to look around any others. Where's the best studios you've seen?
DTR
Have you not had an interview or heard anything about it? If I were you i'd email them and just see what's going on.

Yeah it's good they give you £1000 per year bursery from the uni plus £400 toward macbook or camera or something. Tempting!

I applied Route A the day before the deadline and still haven't heard anything, should I of?
DTR
Possibly, what do you mean by sterile? I wasn't really sure what to expect as haven't had the chance to look around any others. Where's the best studios you've seen?

It's on the outskirts of Winchester, literally just three buildings beside the river - really nice setting but yeah it was a bit too quiet I think.

I've looked round Loughborough, Bournemouth Arts Institute, Brighton and Winchester and the best studios and facilities I saw were at Bournemouth without a doubt.
Reply 18
elliotshikari
It's on the outskirts of Winchester, literally just three buildings beside the river - really nice setting but yeah it was a bit too quiet I think.

I've looked round Loughborough, Bournemouth Arts Institute, Brighton and Winchester and the best studios and facilities I saw were at Bournemouth without a doubt.

Ah ha, is it Graphic Arts you applied for? What part of it are you most interested in e.g photography or digital animation?

Well as you applied the day before the deadline you are probably at the back of the queue as they go through applications.

I would still just email them at wsa admissions. Really friendly. Have you had the letter from them saying they have received your application from UCAS?

I agree it was quiet there but that's because it was probably Wednesday which is a day they don't have to goto uni, don't know.

Where would rank the facilities of Winchester compared to the others you visited then?
DTR
Ah ha, is it Graphic Arts you applied for? What part of it are you most interested in e.g photography or digital animation?

Well as you applied the day before the deadline you are probably at the back of the queue as they go through applications.

I would still just email them at wsa admissions. Really friendly. Have you had the letter from them saying they have received your application from UCAS?

I agree it was quiet there but that's because it was probably Wednesday which is a day they don't have to goto uni, don't know.

Where would rank the facilities of Winchester compared to the others you visited then?

Yeah I applied for Graphic Arts, most interested in Graphic Design but thats subject to change upon undertaking the course.

I did go on a Wednesday so it makes sense that it was quiet. I really wana know what it's like for night life though.

I'd rank it second almost definitely.

1st Bournemouth - superb, brand new buildings so really nicely furnished, bright, clean.
2nd Winchester - really big open studio space which matter a lot coz thats where ul be 10-5 every day, lots of PCs and MACs, nicely furnished
Joint 3rd Loughborough and Brighton - Both were just average, can't think of much else to say really. Lboro was a bit secluded and cut off from the rest of the uni, Brighton felt a bit too much like a school to me.

Quick Reply