The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sirocco11
Well fair enough, but you went overboard correcting him, it didn't require a whole tirade against Rafa. If you're going to defend Federer, defend him, you don't need to attack Rafa at the same time.

Perhaps Federer was simply being supportive of his friend in the knowledge that Nadal was about to join him in the Career Grand Slam circle, but nonetheless I'm sure Djokovic felt put out after playing such a great match against him. I'm sure he's redeemed himself in Djokovic's estimation after the praise yesterday but he's not been particularly kind to Novak over the years; not just at the USO but telling his family to be quiet at times, and yesterday having a go at Djokovic for taking too long serving. Djokovic even apologised to Federer during the match.

I realise this will generate yet more back and forth so I'll leave it there. I'm certainly not raising Rafa up as some kind of paragon either, and as you said flaws are bound with tennis at the level it is at.

Anyways, disappointed to see Na Li lose after having Clijsters on the ropes for about a set and a half, but in the end the Belgian was solid at the right moments and closed it out very well. Sadly it seems that she'll be retiring soon as she left her victory speech fairly open about the future, but she has had an incredible comeback and I was very glad for her win today, she's a great champion and there won't be many players in the near future that can match her style.

Anyone brave enough to make predictions tomorrow ? I'm hoping for a 5 setter :biggrin:

Fair play, I only responded to the original post because he brought Rafa up. It has a feel of a bad loser as if he was winning he wouldn't complain but Fed plays best with rhythm and Djokovic breaking the rules directly works against him and for Djokovic so I see no problem in highlighting it, many a player do vs Djok/Nadal.
Djokovic's family are extremely annoying, i'm glad he told them to shut up.

But we'll leave it there. Shame Li couldn't see it out, thought he had Clijsters on the ropes but tired. Kim played some great tennis to pull it out
Reply 61
Original post by Michael XYZ
Djokovic to win it in 4 sets.

You heard it here first.

I think if we did a poll that would be the most chosen.

I'm going Djok in 3 :pierre:
Original post by Michael XYZ
Djokovic to win it in 4 sets.

You heard it here first.

Incorrect! I predicted a Djokovic win in 4 sets YESTERDAY :wink:

You heard it here first. I pray to God I'm completely wrong with my prediction tbh.

:cool:
Murray in 2 sets and Djokovic to retire in the third because it's hot.

You heard it here first.
Original post by JaggySnake95
I realise that but they were completely different cir instances.

How were they different instances?

2009: Fed lost and cried
2010: Murray lost and cried

Seem pretty similar to me. I don't know how you can condemn one but not the other.

JaggySnake95

As for blaming injury, that really isn't up for debate because 90% he will find I reason for his loss and he will normally not give as muchcredit to his opponents when he loses: today was an exception.

Really? The only recent example of blaming injury I can think of was the Berdych Wimbledon match, which he shouldn't have said. Djokovic, he was positive about at AO 2011 and USO 2010. Soderling, he was positive about in the FO 2010. Del Potro, he was positive about in USO 2009. Davydenko, he was positive about in the WTF 2009. Those were his recent losses in the biggest tournaments, the only time I can think of where he didn't give full credit to his opponent was Berdych at Wimbledon.

Do you have any evidence that he "normally" doesn't give much credit to his opponent?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 65
[QUOTE=Jonty99;29638836

I chuckled. But, yes, I agree Djokovic in three sets.
Reply 66
Original post by Jonty99

I chuckled. But, yes, Djokovic in three sets sounds right.
Reply 67
Original post by Jonty99

Original post by Jonty99
How were they different instances?

Seem pretty similar to me. I don't know how you can condemn one but not the other.
I stopped following this tedious conversation out of boredom a while back - so forgive me if I have misinterpreted things - but I believe he was condemning Federer for crying because he already racked up a number of grand slams by this time (as opposed to Murray who had just lost his second final).

For the record, I don't mind that either of them cried. If they don't care about losing then they shouldn't be professional sportsmen or women. Some people can keep control these kinds of emotions better than others, so again, I'm not going to blame anyone for crying during a presentation or the interview afterwards.
Original post by m:)ckel
I stopped following this tedious conversation out of boredom a while back - so forgive me if I have misinterpreted things - but I believe he was condemning Federer for crying because he already racked up a number of grand slams by this time (as opposed to Murray who had just lost his second final).For the record, I don't mind that either of them cried. If they don't care about losing then they shouldn't be professional sportsmen or women. Some people can keep control these kinds of emotions better than others, so again, I'm not going to blame anyone for crying during a presentation or the interview afterwards.

I don't care that either cried either.

But... the person's I quoted said the following: "Remember when Federer started crying when Rafa won I think Wimbledon and again at the Australian Open? He took away Rafa's moment. A man with double figures in Grand Slams crying."

OK, I ignored the factual inaccuracy that Federer cried publicly after Wimbledon 2008. But he said Federer crying at AO 2009 took away Nadal's moment. So then surely equally, Murray took away Federer's moment in 2010? Why would the number of slams the opponent won have any bearing on the extent to which the crying "took away from their moment"? Tears from a 0 time slam winner are no different to tears from a 13 slam winner at the time.

But yes, tedious conversation. :p:
Reply 69
I don't get the crying criticism. He couldn't help it, he cried. Since when were people able to completely control their emotions?
It's unlikely with his busy schedule that Federer found the time to attend the Steven Segal school of acting...

And in 2007 Nadal didn't wait until he was off the court to break down and cry, it simply happened that way.

Anyway, I reckon Murray will win in 5 sets. Djokovic would need to finish the job in 3 or 4 if he does win, and I reckon he'll come close, but Murrays fitness will be the decider between the two. He's one of the few guys I can think of who can go toe-to-toe with Nadal in baseline rallies, and still keep going after 3+ hours.

Also, usually whenever Murray plays any of the big boys in tournaments, he steps up his game. I don't think his performance in the first two sets against Ferrer matters too much, he pushed forward and played aggressive when he had to.

FINALLY... I reckon last years final might also help him. The first time he played a final in 2008 it was his first and he was playing a Federer who was performing wonderfully, so it wasn't too much of a disappointment to see him lose.

Last year however he was being hyped as one of the big favourites, and still had a great record against Federer (6 wins to 4 I think). He possibly went into the final feeling like this was his chance, but before he knew it his chance had gone, which probably explains his emotional reaction at the end.

This year he'll be a bit wiser.
I'm predicting Murray in 4. I think he has the beating of Djok, been a while since they played each other but Murray has won the last 6 sets (all on hard court). If Murray can keep a good depth I can't see Djokovic being able to hurt him. Could well be won/lost in the head this
Reply 71
Mon the murray
If Murray can get enough first serves in and puts the ball back often enough utilising his slice to hamper Novak's rythmn he'll win.
Reply 73
Was about to post saying how important the end of the 1st would be in the context of the match, and that I thought it would decide it.

:sad:

What a point before though :eek3:
Reply 74
Feels like the final last year. No way back if he loses this set imo.
Reply 75
Eerily reminiscent of the Fed final in terms of the pattern of the match, Djok to break back and win it in a tiebreak? :holmes:
:frown:
Reply 77
He doesn't know how to win points out there, no real plan as far as I can see. Djok has been great though.

Can't see this reaching a tiebreak, Murray can't serve.
Tut, Murray is being completely outclassed here :sigh: He's not playing his best tennis, it's a shame really that he never brings his A-game to the few grand slam finals he's been in. I've seen him play better this tournament, it's probably fatigue but no excuses really...and he's had a pretty easy draft this tournament, no particularly long matches.
If he just dug this set put he can't start to tire Nole.

Latest