The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

61, but that's no surprise. Not as high a number as some of you, but it affects my life greatly. For example, failing a module because I can't give a presentation to a group of ten people =(
80. No surprise.
97....what a surprise....
Reply 44
124... Fun, fun times....
Reply 45
94...deary me...
40 (fear) + 33 (avoidance) = 73
You have marked social anxiety disorder.

Faaab, I knew I was shy and acted stupidly when around other people a lot, I guess i kinda know why now :emo:
Reply 48
93. It is partly down to a lack of will power as well. Be arsed feeling sorry for myself
28 (fear) + 30 (avoidance) = 58
You have moderate social anxiety disorder.

I haven't ever been diagnosed but I wouldn't be surprised if someone said I did have a slight bit of social anxiety. I don't have a problem with a lot of social situations, but when it gets to public speaking and being surrounded by large groups I start to get intimidated and totally change into a very anxious person.
Reply 50

'You have severe social anxiety disorder.'

Yeah, I tend to have a lot of panic attacks before having to do some of the things on that list.
hahahaha... oh dear, i'm 80.... but it says they can do "one to one" skyping sessions to help those with severe anxiety. Hell no, that sounds like torture!!!!! Skyping? one to one? with a stranger?!?! no way!!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't have anxiety (in the sense that I've never been to the doctors or been diagnosed or anything of the sort), but I did the test anyway.

Understandable. All my hang ups are related to speaking. Public speaking, speaking in a large discussion group, speaking on the phone, etc. Because I stutter... mildly. In my day to day life, I don't. Even meeting new people on a small/one-to-one basis, it's extremely minor. But in certain situations, I can tell I'm going to start, which makes me nervous, which makes me stutter even more. Then I start speaking faster, and still stuttering, until noone can tell what I'm saying. I have given presentations and stuff in lessons when I have to, but it's stressful and I have to try SO HARD to talk slowly and calmly. My self esteem is fine, I don't feel like an insecure person at all, it's just the fear of being unable to adequately translate my thoughts into verbal communication that gets me. I probably should try and get it sorted, but it just doesn't seem severe enough to bother with, because 99% of the time it does not affect me.

Who knows?
Reply 53
95... I didn't think I was that bad. Now that I think of it, I do hate being in certain situations mentioned though. Probably a big one for me is talking on the phone - especially to those not known well - I just hate it.
70 (29 fear/41 avoidance)

I'd say I'm just shy, I don't think it affects my daily life. I'm actually more anxious in my own home - I hate when the phone rings, and if someone knocks on the door and it's not the postman, I will ignore it and hide around the corner of the living room until they've gone. :o:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 55
i got 79.

this thread has actually made me feel a better. i thought i was the only one who really worried about all these things.
12 (fear) + 35 (avoidance) = 47

The test doesn't have enough options, there should be more than 4 options.
Reply 57
37 (fear) + 23 (avoidance) = 60 = Moderate Anxiety Disorder
Original post by Blueberry.
When I was younger, it used to be much more severe. Getting better. :awesome:

Worst part is finding it difficult to say no, I find.

So if me and you were at a party and I asked you to go upstairs, I would have scored? :sexface:
49 (fear) + 40 (avoidance) = 89

:frown:

Latest