The Student Room Group

Uni Scholarships

A few years back when I started researching uni's, I found a number of purely academic scholarships (eg, get 3 A's and you'll get £500 off your tuition fees) and this was before A*s at A-level. But now I haven't seen a single scholarship that is purely for academic achievement. Everything I have seen is income based. Why?

Seeing as these scholarships aren't awarded as cash, they are fee waivers, why is it income based?
Reply 1
There's a lot of new rules being pushed by the Government about letting "poorer" students into university, meaning that universities have to be seen to be giving more handouts to those from lower income families, fee wavers that are means tested are probably one of those.

For what it's worth, there are some universities that are still giving out purely academic based scholarships. I get £1000 paid into my bank for getting a first in my first year, and the same again for getting a 1st in my second year.
Reply 2
Original post by Benniboi1
A few years back when I started researching uni's, I found a number of purely academic scholarships (eg, get 3 A's and you'll get £500 off your tuition fees) and this was before A*s at A-level. But now I haven't seen a single scholarship that is purely for academic achievement. Everything I have seen is income based. Why?

Seeing as these scholarships aren't awarded as cash, they are fee waivers, why is it income based?

Well as has been pointed out unis have been told that they can only charge £9k if they have access agreements in place which include offering more bursaries for poorer students so there is less money for scholarships which have been awarded on merit. there are still some awards of this nature, including at UEA where they award £1,500 to anyone coming into the uni with AAA grades and numerous awards for achievements on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest