The Student Room Group

Aristotle’s theory of body and soul

I'm a little confused about Aristotle's ideas on the soul.

Is his version of the soul a thing's final or formal cause?
final, it was what gives the object its essence or character. so for man, it would be rational computation, for a knife if would be to cut. As he is a materialist, his definition of a soul is quite different from the spiritual one we tend to be accustomed to. Hope that helps?
just realised you're doing OCR and you seem to be in the AS year... If you manage to pick up an OCR A2 ethics textbook, it will cover the soul in there.
Reply 3
Original post by purplefrog
final, it was what gives the object its essence or character. so for man, it would be rational computation, for a knife if would be to cut. As he is a materialist, his definition of a soul is quite different from the spiritual one we tend to be accustomed to. Hope that helps?

Original post by purplefrog
just realised you're doing OCR and you seem to be in the AS year... If you manage to pick up an OCR A2 ethics textbook, it will cover the soul in there.

Ah thanks! ^_^ That really helps!

Yeah, it's a little weird... we have to know about his theory of soul in relation to causation but they cover it again at A2. I might have a little look at the A2 book just so I understand it a little better. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending