The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston Foundation Science Course

Hey there, has anybody else applied and got an offer for the Foundation Science course? I firmed the conditional offer by Kingston a month ago and cannot wait! Thinking of progressing onto MPharm if I can get the 70% requirement! :gasp:

Is there any students who were on it last year who can share some experiences on how the course was like? I know it's taught at a college but is the experience different to a normal college/sixth form or is it similar? :confused:

Hope to hear from people who've signed up for Foundation Science for 2012! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by KawaKawa
Hey there, has anybody else applied and got an offer for the Foundation Science course? I firmed the conditional offer by Kingston a month ago and cannot wait! Thinking of progressing onto MPharm if I can get the 70% requirement! :gasp:

Is there any students who were on it last year who can share some experiences on how the course was like? I know it's taught at a college but is the experience different to a normal college/sixth form or is it similar? :confused:

Hope to hear from people who've signed up for Foundation Science for 2012! :biggrin:

hey! yeah im doing this as well! have u sorted your accomodation out? im gutted because we have to go to college for a yr :/!
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by loves islam
hey! yeah im doing this as well! have u sorted your accomodation out? im gutted because we have to go to college for a yr :/!

Aye, canny crap that we gotta go to college for the first year!:mad:

I'm not sure about accomodation yet, we were meant to get the letters this week but I've got no news from Kingston except an email about the head start summer camp.:confused:
Reply 3
i got my accomdation email through today but im so confused about where to apply as do we go to a college centre on campus or a separate college of campus :s-smilie: :s-smilie: im so confused

Aye, canny crap that we gotta go to college for the first year!:mad:

I'm not sure about accomodation yet, we were meant to get the letters this week but I've got no news from Kingston except an email about the head start summer camp.:confused:

Original post by PriyaM
i got my accomdation email through today but im so confused about where to apply as do we go to a college centre on campus or a separate college of campus :s-smilie: :s-smilie: im so confused

Im thinking of doing this after my A-levels in: English, law and Psychology (shoudl I hopefully pass :biggrin:)

Im sure they do a foundation pharmacy year at kingston, but does the science foundation year still let you progress onto pharmacy? which one is better to choose?
Reply 5
Original post by PriyaM

You got your email today?! I'm still left in the dark... this is annoying since I live like 300 miles away from Kingston and halls seem like the best option for a first year student! :mad:

I'm not sure where we're studying, best to shoot an email to the science department, they reply back in 2-3 days from my experience with good info.

Original post by cool pilot dude
Im thinking of doing this after my A-levels in: English, law and Psychology (shoudl I hopefully pass :biggrin:)

Im sure they do a foundation pharmacy year at kingston, but does the science foundation year still let you progress onto pharmacy? which one is better to choose?

The foundation year for pharmacy (MPharm) in Kingston is the science foundation year that we're taking. The requirements to get onto pharmacy after the science foundation year is 70%+ overall including 70%+ in all the chemistry modules... this sounds really hard! :angry:

Though I'm thinking of progressing to biomed science, seems a lot more interesting but less paying and terrible hours once you get a job apparently. :frown:

Edit: Just checked PriyaM, it's taught at Kingston college, so it sounds like a separate college and not based on campus I'm guessing. Check out the college website for more details I guess.

http://www.kingston-college.ac.uk/course/859/science-foundation-year.html

'The Foundation Year is studied at Kingston College, which is some two hundred metres from the main University campus.'
(edited 11 years ago)
You got your email today?! I'm still left in the dark... this is annoying since I live like 300 miles away from Kingston and halls seem like the best option for a first year student! :mad:

I'm not sure where we're studying, best to shoot an email to the science department, they reply back in 2-3 days from my experience with good info.

The foundation year for pharmacy (MPharm) in Kingston is the science foundation year that we're taking. The requirements to get onto pharmacy after the science foundation year is 70%+ overall including 70%+ in all the chemistry modules... this sounds really hard! :angry:

Though I'm thinking of progressing to biomed science, seems a lot more interesting but less paying and terrible hours once you get a job apparently. :frown:

Edit: Just checked PriyaM, it's taught at Kingston college, so it sounds like a separate college and not based on campus I'm guessing. Check out the college website for more details I guess.

http://www.kingston-college.ac.uk/course/859/science-foundation-year.html

'The Foundation Year is studied at Kingston College, which is some two hundred metres from the main University campus.'

Yeah it does sound hard, but if they want 70 % pass rate in modules, then that means they want a B grade.

Im just wondering if I should take the risk doing this and working towards a pharmacy degree as I just want to get education over and done with and have a good degree. Plus I want to go into the air force to train as a pilot.

I think you will be able to pass. I know this will sound very un-original but: work hard and keep your head down! I think I will be able to do this (hopefully) should I choose to go this route. However, I am afraid of the physics and maths part! Biology is good and chemistry is more or less good.

In regards to doing biomedical science, I think you should go into pharmacy. There are many pathways and a lot of oppertunities (did I spell that right?) nationally and internationally. Plus you have the good working conditions and salary.

One of my freinds will be going to Kingston this new academic year coming and will be studying pharmacy (though she has a nursing degree) she is 22 and still young.

Anyways, I hope everything goes well! and make sure you tell me the results and how the course is! :biggrin:
Reply 7
ive jus applied for accomodation at perhyn road (dont think thats spelt right) because i looked on google maps and its like a 5 minute walk from perhyn road campus :smile:.
but ooh thankyou ill give them an email :smile:
i really wish kingston gave more advice though, on where is it, what accomodation is best etc woulda helped a whole lot more. lol
Reply 8

i want to do biomedical science too after the foundation yr :smile:! n apparently the pay has gne higher but am not sure though,
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PriyaM

same! but i rang them they said if your at college campus apply for night park or pehhnyl road or sumthing :/ do you want to get a all girls apartment? i want this but they said they need more girls to agree
Reply 10
same! but i rang them they said if your at college campus apply for night park or pehhnyl road or sumthing :/ do you want to get a all girls apartment? i want this but they said they need more girls to agree

i wanna do biomedical science too! im doing the 4 year course! lool and i dont mind if its girls or boys! but if i get the sharing a bathroom one defo all girls! i dont really wanna share a bathroom with boys..but an ensuit one i dont mind :smile: how do i agree to an all girls one?
Reply 11
Original post by cool pilot dude

Thanks mate, yeah 70% does look equivalent to a grade B so I guess if I put the effort in it'll be achievable. Still undecided whether to go into Pharmacy or Biomed, but I got plenty of time before I choose to fully start my degree.

Original post by PriyaM
ive jus applied for accomodation at perhyn road (dont think thats spelt right) because i looked on google maps and its like a 5 minute walk from perhyn road campus :smile:.
but ooh thankyou ill give them an email :smile:
i really wish kingston gave more advice though, on where is it, what accomodation is best etc woulda helped a whole lot more. lol

Yeah, I applied to Clayhill and Seething Wells since the college is next to Penrhyn Road so that means it's easy to get to and from college and back. :smile:

I do agree Kingston could give more advice on their website about accomodation, seems like I had to do a lot of work compared to my friends who've applied to places like Yorkshire, etc.

i want to do biomedical science too after the foundation yr :smile:! n apparently the pay has gne higher but am not sure though,

I haven't checked what the average pay is recently but it's defo lower than Pharmacy, but I can imagine Biomed being 10 times more interesting!
Reply 12
Original post by PriyaM
i wanna do biomedical science too! im doing the 4 year course! lool and i dont mind if its girls or boys! but if i get the sharing a bathroom one defo all girls! i dont really wanna share a bathroom with boys..but an ensuit one i dont mind :smile: how do i agree to an all girls one?

Ugh, I wouldn't want to share a bathroom with anyone, full stop! :tongue:

Ummm... I think loves islam said there has to be a certain amount of girls who want to have a same sex dorm, I'm not sure cause it doesn't mention it on the website AFAIK.
Reply 13
Ugh, I wouldn't want to share a bathroom with anyone, full stop! :tongue:

Ummm... I think loves islam said there has to be a certain amount of girls who want to have a same sex dorm, I'm not sure cause it doesn't mention it on the website AFAIK.

Yeah ive applied for the same places as you did! lool and hmmm yeh coz when i went to kingston open day i asked them about all girls and they said they dont do that! its all mixed but there will be 2 or more girls in each one!
Reply 14
Original post by PriyaM
Yeah ive applied for the same places as you did! lool and hmmm yeh coz when i went to kingston open day i asked them about all girls and they said they dont do that! its all mixed but there will be 2 or more girls in each one!

Yeah I'm sure it wouldn't be just 1 girl and like 7 lads in one dorm lol! But I guess they should have the option for a single sex dorm cause I don't think everyone wants a mixed dorm.
Reply 15
Yeah I'm sure it wouldn't be just 1 girl and like 7 lads in one dorm lol! But I guess they should have the option for a single sex dorm cause I don't think everyone wants a mixed dorm.

yeaah very truee! every other uni does it wonder why they dont :s-smilie:
Original post by PriyaM

lol samme im planin on gettin en suite becuz u hav ur own bathroom thas necessary 4 me aha, n it dsnt mention it but wen a rang they said you have to email them asking can you have jus girls theyl be lyk 6 or 7 of us so it shud be kwl :smile:
Hi guys, I'm on this course at the moment, not planning to go on to Pharmacy but 70% is very acheivable if you put the effort in. And you actually don't have to get 70% in all modules, you need 70% as an average over 7 modules (so if you get 80% in one you can afford to only get 60% in one you're not so good at.) Re. concerns about Physics: If you are planning to go on to Pharmacy or something similar, you will only do Physics in your first term up until Christmas as part of 'Fundamentals of science.' After Christmas, you will take 2 biology modules, 2 chemistry modules and a maths module.

I was a bit 'meh' when I found out I was going to be studying at the college for a year, but you can still use all the university facilities (go to the library, SU, join societies etc) so it really doesn't matter that much and it is only for the year, which flies by! Feel free to message me if you have any more questions, may not reply too quickly though as have exams the week after next so shouldn't really be spending my time on the internet!
Reply 18
Original post by MissDavies
Hi guys, I'm on this course at the moment, not planning to go on to Pharmacy but 70% is very acheivable if you put the effort in. And you actually don't have to get 70% in all modules, you need 70% as an average over 7 modules (so if you get 80% in one you can afford to only get 60% in one you're not so good at.) Re. concerns about Physics: If you are planning to go on to Pharmacy or something similar, you will only do Physics in your first term up until Christmas as part of 'Fundamentals of science.' After Christmas, you will take 2 biology modules, 2 chemistry modules and a maths module.

I was a bit 'meh' when I found out I was going to be studying at the college for a year, but you can still use all the university facilities (go to the library, SU, join societies etc) so it really doesn't matter that much and it is only for the year, which flies by! Feel free to message me if you have any more questions, may not reply too quickly though as have exams the week after next so shouldn't really be spending my time on the internet!

are you glad u took the foundation year or do u wish u went straight to the uni? and oooh so its not that bad going to college i guess if u still mainly apart of the uni!
Original post by PriyaM
are you glad u took the foundation year or do u wish u went straight to the uni? and oooh so its not that bad going to college i guess if u still mainly apart of the uni!

If I could have gone straight to uni then I would have because it would have saved a year, but it is worth doing if you need to brush up on your sciences before starting a degree, and the fact that you're not actually at the uni makes no difference really since you're welcome there at any time.

Quick Reply

Latest