The Student Room Group

Anyone want to learn a language over summer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What would be the best way to teach each other? Skype maybe?
Reply 41
Original post by Marijketje

Sounds good. Does Khan academy do languages? They do a teacher/student account-linking thing for free
Reply 42
Original post by alaska.
I did the DELF B1 last year, but I didn't speak or use any french for a year now. Reading seems to be fine, but I worry a lot about the Speaking and Listening part :/

But thanks for letting me know :smile: makes me feel a bit bettter :biggrin:

I admit that lady luck was on my side that day hehehe

Anyway, yes, Speaking becomes hard when you learn a foreign language in your own country.

About the listening, I used to have the RFI as background. You can listen it here:
http://www.rfi.fr/player/player.asp?direct=true&Player=Win&Stream=http://mp3.live.tv-radio.com/rfimonde/all/rfimonde-64k.mp3&iframe=http://www.rfi.fr:80/statiques/playerAudioPageDescDefaut.asp&video=monde_direct&s=undefined&s2=&xtpage=undefined&xt_multc=undefined&donneesassocies=streamDirect
(edited 11 years ago)
I would love to start learning a new language.

I am currently learning Spanish but I would be happy to try and pick up another.
Reply 44
Now I'm sure we've gathered enough interest to get this going over the Summer, it's time to vote for a language based on suggestions from the other thread here.

What will we do?

First we'll vote for a language, hence this thread

Each day we'll chose a topic, for example the alphabet, animals, numbers, common phrases, tourist phrases.

Each day we'll self teach these topics, but with eachother's help and support.

We'll also have helpers on hand, fluent in said language that can teach us pronunciations on Skype etc.

We'll encourage eachother and link eachother to useful online material.

We'll track eachother's progress, and familiarise ourselves with eachother.

We'll listen to songs in said language, try and translate them, and also encourage eachother to watch films in said language to enhance our grasp on it.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vixen47
German! :h:

Ja! Ich liebe Deutsch!

And thats about all I can remember from my GCSE German. But man, I would love to take German up again :frown:
Why isn't English on the poll?
Deutsch, natürlich :colondollar:
Reply 48
Original post by najinaji
As a fellow language enthusiast, I support this idea. :yy: Currently trying to get to grips with German.

Original post by NerdyBashir
Gonna spend 3 months in Kenya! - I'll try to pick up some Kiswahili.

Original post by Frankster
I can speak in English, German, French but would like to learn Mandarin.. I guess it's too complicated for TSR?

Original post by Vixen47
German! :h:

Original post by IAmTheKing
I'd love to become fluent in welsh... Again...

Original post by katyness
High five everyone :biggrin:

Original post by DannyJC
Hola, I have been so interested in Spanish.

Do you believe in love at first sight? It's an illusion, I don't care.

Original post by The Puppet Master
German! :mmm: As I was born there people always ask "Can you speak it?" and it's embarrassing to say no. :frown: I speak French and English.

Original post by chinaberry
Already decided on Italian :-D no idea what level I could get up to, but hoping to book some conversation lessons at the end of September and see how I get on, and maybe stumble my way through some children's books.

Probably should try to get ahead in Dutch instead (my first language, but lost loads of it)- I was learning vocab and reading in it a while ago, but got out of the habit. I did read a Dutch comic strip of Jane Eyre though :cool:

Original post by Perfectly_Imperfect
Arabic!

yes, Arabic would be cool!

Original post by Mocking_bird
I would love to learn Dutch! I have a lot of Dutch friends who could help out too :smile:

Original post by pink pineapple
Would love to learn Spanish over the summer :smile:

Original post by nataliekwong
I want to learn Latin...but we all know I wont be able to xD

Original post by Jiraya Sama
Arabic? Mandarin? :biggrin:

Original post by xmarilynx
I'm tempted to take up a new language but should probably focus on my German and Russian for now... Particularly since the main two languages I would be interested in learning, Dutch and Polish, might confuse me because they're similar. I often wish I spoke Spanish and Hebrew too, might leave that until September though as my uni does free language courses :wink:

Will definitely be doing everything I can to improve my German and Russian this summer though, so challenge (partially) accepted :biggrin:

Original post by chocolatechoco
Check out a site called duolingo, it allows you to learn a language for free. It's still in beta format but is going live soon and I know French and Spanish are going to be up with Italian and mandarin coming later. I think German might be up too!

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Marilyn I hope you don't mind me asking such a nosy question, but I looked at your signature and I wondered, how does one acquire a position at a foreign university? There is no government subsidy, is that right? I'm only a college student so I'm not well versed in how universities work. I'm just curious. :smile:

Original post by alaska.
Yay :smile: definitely joining. I do my B2 DELF exam in a month, so I'd like to improve till then.

I am a native German, so I can preread texts or help you with grammar and vocabulary :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830

Original post by Thomas2
Don't worry, it comes back to you pretty quick when you start using it again.

Original post by Mediterrasian
I'm totally joining this, I love being able to speak other languages.

I can help with French.

Me too. :smile:

Original post by r4ndom
Good luck!!

I did the DELF B2 this last february :smile:
I barely passed (58/100) but I had five months to prepare it and I started almost from scratch :h:

Original post by Tensei
:redface: This sounds like fun!!!

But I am going to be learning Japaneese at UCL's Language Summer School - Thank you very much language requirement :frown:

Original post by Emmie3303
Sometimes I speak it (randomly, I don't know why!) or I hear it on TV and I'm surprised at how much I still understand. I think I just need to go back over the grammar a little and learn more vocab :smile:.

I'd love to try this too. I was going to do it this summer and use the materials from the Latin teaching page on my university website but procrastination is winning so far :p:. Maybe we could try and encourage eachother :smile:.

Original post by Devon
Definitely! Took a year and a half of Spanish before transferring, but haven't used it since, so I've forgotten a lot of vocabulary.
Plus, I'd like to learn Japanese without my parents telling me to focus on school stuff. I love this idea

Original post by Devon
Sounds good. Does Khan academy do languages? They do a teacher/student account-linking thing for free

Original post by r4ndom
I admit that lady luck was on my side that day hehehe

Anyway, yes, Speaking becomes hard when you learn a foreign language in your own country.

About the listening, I used to have the RFI as background. You can listen it here:
http://www.rfi.fr/player/player.asp?direct=true&Player=Win&Stream=http://mp3.live.tv-radio.com/rfimonde/all/rfimonde-64k.mp3&iframe=http://www.rfi.fr:80/statiques/playerAudioPageDescDefaut.asp&video=monde_direct&s=undefined&s2=&xtpage=undefined&xt_multc=undefined&donneesassocies=streamDirect

Original post by Pixxy_
I would love to start learning a new language.

I am currently learning Spanish but I would be happy to try and pick up another.

Original post by nash_4_lyf
Ja! Ich liebe Deutsch!

And thats about all I can remember from my GCSE German. But man, I would love to take German up again :frown:

Hello guys.

Please see this thread for the voting

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2019790
Original post by thegodofgod
Deutsch, natürlich :colondollar:

Surely if you're learning German already it doesn't count :tongue:
When are we going to start learning :smile: ???
Reply 51
I already voted for German, but I noticed that Polish isn't on the poll (if you pardon the pun). I am disappoint.
Reply 52
French
"s'il vous plaît" :proud:
I voted Dutch because I am going to Amsterdam in the summer but learning German is probably more handy in the long run. :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by hannah_dru
Surely if you're learning German already it doesn't count :tongue:

We'll also be needing some fluent speakers in which ever language wins, which can help us with pronounciations on Skype and correct us if we're wrong. If she's learning the language, it'll be advantageous both ways as she'll be able to practice the language more and we'll be able to learn from her.
Original post by Miracle Day

[*]First we'll vote for a language, hence this thread

I like the idea of mutual support and working together to achieve the goal, but does this mean everyone learns the same language? Not sure I can see that working as everyone has different interests...
Currently teaching myself spanish, so if you guys decide on spanish in the end, then I'll join in :biggrin:
Original post by najinaji
I already voted for German, but I noticed that Polish isn't on the poll (if you pardon the pun). I am disappoint.

This. I have always wanted to learn Polish.
Original post by Miracle Day
We'll also be needing some fluent speakers in which ever language wins, which can help us with pronounciations on Skype and correct us if we're wrong. If she's learning the language, it'll be advantageous both ways as she'll be able to practice the language more and we'll be able to learn from her.

OK, I'll go and vote then as I'm fluent in German.
Considering the fact that I am fluent in German and English and can understand Dutch to a moderate level I'd like to learn Spanish.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending