The Student Room Group

Could the UK become a part of America?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
really? I'd say this place turns into a mini-USA culturally a little bit more each year

I wouldn't - I think we're sort of pushed into thinking that but in actual fact it's more the other way round, usually when it comes to things like fashion and music Britain will be far ahead of America. And you only need to look at the amount of remakes they do of British shows to see that we still retain our originality in entertainment rather than just living off US shows.
Original post by megan.c
I wouldn't - I think we're sort of pushed into thinking that but in actual fact it's more the other way round, usually when it comes to things like fashion and music Britain will be far ahead of America. And you only need to look at the amount of remakes they do of British shows to see that we still retain our originality in entertainment rather than just living off US shows.

mmm I don't know, when I turn on the telly I see an american show on half the channels, I hear people come out with american language quite a bit, we've become a nation of massive materialism/consumerism (if that's a word).
Reply 62
In short, no.

Whilst England alone could probably unite with the USA (we are not dissimilar to the north east states), NI, W and S are significantly European.

Personally i would never support joining any nation which has the right to bear arms in its constitution and allows the death penalty in some states.

I think the UK as a whole is much closer to Europe (bar language) than the USA.
Reply 63
Original post by aarora
I hope so, just so I can enjoy some American food :biggrin:

This. Food in the UK, or at least in London, is atrocious.
Reply 64
Original post by Rakas21
In short, no.
Personally i would never support joining any nation which has the right to bear arms in its constitution and allows the death penalty in some states.

It is what makes it a free country. The people can't have power as long as weapons are only in the hands of the government. You can't invade a country where in each neighborhood there are dozens of armed citizens who will gun down anyone who claims their land.
Reply 65
Original post by askew116
Unfortunately not with the weather :mad:

:biggrin:
Reply 66
Original post by Joe911
Absolutely no way!
If we voted ourselves out of the EU, who in their right mind would want us to become part of America? :s-smilie:

The Conservative Party.
It won't ever happen, we're more likely to become Canadian due to historical links and even chances of that are extremely low. We're too different in so many ways within our ways of life and values and political views. That being said, places like Texas and New York differ dramatically from each other yet are part of the same country, so it could happen one day. I just don't think that day will be in our life time.
Reply 68
-cough, cough- No offense, we think you guys are cool and all, but no, we do NOT want the UK to join the US.
Ever.
Reply 69
Original post by biggie
The Conservative Party.

Do you mean the Conservative Party in the US?? Like the Republicans? Actually, it's more likely that Liberals (Democrats) would want the UK to join, as Conservatives are seriously patriotic, and inherently xenophobic.
No
Reply 71
This thread title is nightmare inducing :eek: Dear God, I'd rather us be a part of France than America.
I can't think of a more sickening, shameful and humiliating idea than the UK becoming part of America. Just the thought of stars and stripes flying over London makes me want to run and vomit in the toilet.

The USA has hardly anything in common with the UK other than a language and that is starting to become less similar. The British stand for monarchy, democracy, civilisation and dignity. The UK is quite possibly the oldest, country in the world in that there has been no foreign occupation for a thousand years - the UK has a strong history of independence and freedom and I would rather have my head kicked around as a football by a group of Uruguayan youth's than for the UK to become part of America.
Reply 73
Original post by Yanaj
Do you mean the Conservative Party in the US?? Like the Republicans? Actually, it's more likely that Liberals (Democrats) would want the UK to join, as Conservatives are seriously patriotic, and inherently xenophobic.

No, I meant the UK conservatives. They seem to idolise many of the institutions and practices valued across the pond.
Reply 74
Nope, i hope not
Reply 75
There is such a large gap in deologies and laws (look at obama's attempt to introduce a health service) I hope to God that it'll never happen, because although atm I'm not very keen on the idea of joining the USA. I like to think that our Commonwealth would have more meaning, and that perhaps a market and/or economic union would be set up amongst the Commonwealth countries with the UK at the helm
Reply 76
I would honestly shot myself if this happened.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Will the UK become part of the US? Short answer no
Reply 78
Original post by Yanaj
-cough, cough- No offense, we think you guys are cool and all, but no, we do NOT want the UK to join the US.
Ever.

No offense, we enjoy your films and media, but we would NEVER want to join the US. UK society is bad, but it's not that bad :tongue:
Reply 79
Maybe if all the events of 1984 come into alignment then we'll become Oceania.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending