The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

ADHD

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by ufo2012
I don't think we have actually determined this to be this case or not yet.

We discussed this earlier in this thread, but could not determine if anyone who has ADHD has actually been labelled as disabled and/or listed it on an application form and/or given a disabled badge or not for it.

Methinks those with ADHD/ADD in employment are too afraid to speak up here, still waiting to hear from someone in this position.

That makes it appear then that the government obviously don't fully understand it, but then I guess how could they when many psychologists have the same problem(s) and haven't reached firm conclusions on all of it. The government are relying on these people as "experts" but I don't know how we can label them so when they don't yet have the final and definitive answers on the subject.

True, I think it is one of those things not yet fully understood. However, I dislike the label "disabled" being used outright for anything. I believe the government is trying to separate those with conditions from those without. You cannot have one label to encompass all the different ailments, otherwise you end up with cases of people with allergies being given a disabled parking spot because the gov classifies them as disabled. The higher powers really need to differentiate if and how a "disability" affects someone's life.

I know that government doesn't understand ADHD, but they should at least understand how people are affected by it, because I know that cases of ADHD/ADD have been recorded since B.C.
Original post by KasanDude
They simply slap a "disabled" sticker on everyone who has a slight condition and give them all benefits like parking spots.

Actually, they don't. I am slowly losing my sight. Despite meeting one of the conditions on the blue badge form, ("receives mobility allowance") I was turned down.

As to people who think ADHD isn't real, they know **** all about it.

I have relatives who supposedly have it. They can sit and watch a film. I can't.

Bizzarely, I seem to also have something called hyperfocus.
Reply 162
Original post by ufo2012
Not my findings, but... opinions on these?

Possible triggers for ADHD:

1. Food intolerances
2. Heavy Metals
3. Antibiotics
4. Candida
5. Blood sugar imbalance
6. Low Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Omega-3
7. Head Injury
8. Low pH

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/ADHDcauses.html
http://www.healthymagination.com/blog/what-triggers-adhd/
http://www.livestrong.com/article/344679-foods-that-trigger-adhd/

Right.

The first url - go on the main page, the site is by no means at all a reputable source. There's no way of checking their claims properly, they've provided only one study, carried out over 17 years ago, which only even suggests at the conclusion that there is a correlation between ADHD and low Omega-3. There are no other studies at all on the page. Claiming ADHD is a lifestyle issue supports the motive of their site anyway (which is to live an 'unhindered' lifestyle, or else ADHD!), so that's a pretty weak source.

The second one doesn't even support the 'triggers' you mention. At all.

The third one - only two of the items (Dairy Products, Mercury Based Fish)
are described to actually trigger ADHD - the others just "exacerbate ADHD symptoms".

While the information provided isn't yours, of course, your post gives the impression that the information is well reputed and reliable, which it just isn't.
Also, the majority of your points come from the first url, which is just majorly unreliable and misrepresentative.

I think it's better to say that some of those points can exacerbate symptoms of those who already suffer, and that the rest trigger ADHD symptoms. You should also make it clear that your post doesn't claim ADHD to be actually *caused* by any of them, just triggered. In fact, on the contrary, the very sources you provided (all three of them, I think) support the idea that it is caused by genetic issues.

Sorry, that was long, but you get my drift, your post just gives a misleading representation of everything.
ADHD is a real thing: it can be seen on an MRI.

Whether it is overdiagnosed and whether concessions are useful is another question.
Reply 164
Original post by Dinnes

While the information provided isn't yours, of course, your post gives the impression that the information is well reputed and reliable, which it just isn't.

Sorry, that was long, but you get my drift, your post just gives a misleading representation of everything.

I don't see how you got that from my post.

I didn't suggest any of it was correct, I didn't even say that I agreed with any of it, I asked for opinions.

Also, I can't *claim* anything about those URLs, I didn't write those, I only had a read at them, like you did and, again, asked for opinions about them.

You have given yours, so thanks, but no need to make out they are my opinion when they are not.
Original post by nickbob00
ADHD is a real thing: it can be seen on an MRI.

Do you have a link to that, please?
Original post by Jimbo1234
ADHD is a load of crap and simply a way for doctors to tell parents that their child is a little **** in todays PC world.

Now why do I say this?

Because I have seen the miracle cure to ADHD- it is called harsh punishment. If the kid is being a pain, throw freezing water on him and watch as he will now behave for as long as you need them to. Now if it was a real problem, this would have simply not worked :rolleyes:

Not really :rolleyes:. I think there are real cases and fake cases. Obviously there are some who who're just badly behaved and their parents can't accept it, but there are others who actually do have it and just can't concentrate and are lovely. Those with it don't benefit from it anyway, other than being treated slightly differently if they're not doing what they're meant to in school. Some probably do use the excuse of having ADHD to get away with things though.
Reply 167
Original post by scottkincaid
I don't mean to offend anybody with ADHD or anybody that knows somebody with ADHD. I have a friend that has it too.

I honestly think that it is a lot of nonsense. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Somebody with ADHD can spit in a teachers face and get away with it and called 'brave' and receive a new gaming console or something. If somebody like you or me did it we'd probably be kicked out of education personally.

I just think that it's an awful reason for parents to justify why their child/children are misbehaving.

I would say that it's a little bit too far to call it a disability.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think that you're far from sufficiently qualified to hold forth on the subject of clinical diagnostics with any semblance of authority, and that your opinion is consequently of no account whatsoever except as a bellwether for public ignorance and mindless scepticism towards anything not spelt-out at God-height in obnoxious red text.

Am I on the right track?
Reply 168
I thought we already established several times over that it is/was not a disability?
Reply 169
Original post by ufo2012
I don't see how you got that from my post.

I didn't suggest any of it was correct, I didn't even say that I agreed with any of it, I asked for opinions.

Also, I can't *claim* anything about those URLs, I didn't write those, I only had a read at them, like you did and, again, asked for opinions about them.

You have given yours, so thanks, but no need to make out they are my opinion when they are not.

I didn't actually say they were your opinions :3
Reply 170
Original post by Dinnes
I didn't actually say they were your opinions :3

In that case you need to check how you have worded your previous post, it seems to imply my previous post was 'misleading' when all I was asking was what people thought of it all.
Reply 171
Original post by ufo2012
In that case you need to check how you have worded your previous post, it seems to imply my previous post was 'misleading' when all I was asking was what people thought of it all.

I understand what you're saying, allow me to clarify: basically I was saying the information you're giving is misleading rather than any opinions you expressed personally. :smile:
Reply 172
Original post by Profesh
I think that you're far from sufficiently qualified to hold forth on the subject of clinical diagnostics with any semblance of authority, and that your opinion is consequently of no account whatsoever except as a bellwether for public ignorance and mindless scepticism towards anything not spelt-out at God-height in obnoxious red text.

Am I on the right track?

Don't think so, as OP doesn't need to be "sufficiently qualified" to express his opinion on the issue. Just saying what he/she thinks.

Whether or not it is "public ignorance" is not actually the case here - the OP has expressed his ideas which is how he sees them - as it has been determined many times in this thread, whether or not a person really has the condition or what the condition really is still entirely subjective.
Reply 173
Original post by ufo2012
Don't think so, as OP doesn't need to be "sufficiently qualified" to express his opinion on the issue. Just saying what he/she thinks.

Given that the OP's unduly forthright 'opinion' consists almost entirely of supposition culled from an extremely limited subset of anecdotal evidence garnished with meaningless hyperbole, I honestly don't care what he thinks, and nor should anyone else who favours reasoned scepticism above ignorant, self-righteous, tabloid-style diatribes and the raft of ill-informed speculation they invariably promote.

Whether or not it is "public ignorance" is not actually the case here - the OP has expressed his ideas which is how he sees them - as it has been determined many times in this thread, whether or not a person really has the condition or what the condition really is still entirely subjective.

Good; then I feel vindicated in my decision to respectfully withhold judgement pending further investigation by those properly versed in the principles and methodology of behavioural neuroscience, and will endeavour in the meantime to overlook your misuse of the phrase 'entirely subjective' with respect to an emergent (but potentially legitimate) psychological phenomenon.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 174
Original post by Profesh
I feel vindicated in my decision to respectfully withhold judgement pending further investigation by those properly versed in the principles and methodology of behavioural neuroscience, and will endeavour in the meantime to overlook your misuse of the phrase 'entirely subjective' with respect to nascent (but potentially quite legitimate) psychological phenomena.

Of course, just like anyone you are entitled to withhold judgement on the issue(s) presented.

However, you will find that the phenomena is not entirely 'nascent' but has been discussed for years and also there has been substantial discussion beyond the OP's initial thoughts. Although a long thread, you may find some posts an interesting read.
Reply 175
Original post by ufo2012
Of course, just like anyone you are entitled to withhold judgement on the issue(s) presented.

However, you will find that the phenomena is not entirely 'nascent' but has been discussed for years and also there has been substantial discussion beyond the OP's initial thoughts. Although a long thread, you may find some posts an interesting read.

I don't object to a mature discussion of the salient points, but rather the brazen certitude with which the OP and his cohorts seem content to dismiss more than three decades of (albeit controversial) research by medical professionals in favour of 'I think it's all nonsense, really'. What's the point?
Reply 176
Original post by Profesh
I don't object to a mature discussion of the salient points, but rather the brazen certitude with which the OP and his cohorts seem content to dismiss more than three decades of (albeit controversial) research by medical professionals in favour of 'I think it's all nonsense, really'. What's the point?

I know, this is why I said that you may 'find it an interesting read'.

Both sides of the argument and even more issues than the 'brazen' OP have been debated throughout the thread and maybe you can even add something new that hasn't already been identified or discussed.
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Not really :rolleyes:. I think there are real cases and fake cases. Obviously there are some who who're just badly behaved and their parents can't accept it, but there are others who actually do have it and just can't concentrate and are lovely. Those with it don't benefit from it anyway, other than being treated slightly differently if they're not doing what they're meant to in school. Some probably do use the excuse of having ADHD to get away with things though.

I just can't believe that a metal disorder is real when simple self control is the solution.
Reply 178
Original post by Jimbo1234
I just can't believe that a mental disorder is real when simple self control is the solution.

Good point indeed

:thumbsup:
Reply 179
Original post by scottkincaid
Good answer my friend.

The drugs you get for 'ADHD' is more of a relaxant, so it 'mongs you out'... Which in conclusion: If you have 'ADHD' and you take your pills/medication then you aren't going to be in a state of mind fit for learning because you will be chilled out.

However, I know of people that don't take their medication on purpose to be little ****s basically. So you can't win.

wow you know **** all about this. ritalin is a stimulant the opposite of a relaxant, it supposedly stimulates the brain- it doesnt work tho, ive known ppl whove been on ritalin and theyve ended up on drugs in later life

Latest