The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bleak Lemming
A trick for young people which I use is to add my parents to my policy, knocked £100 off my quote :biggrin:

my parents dont drive and my bf added 50 quid to my policy! haha
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 6681
Original post by Piko_Piko
Have you got an exam or piece of coursework looming? Or have you just started a course?
Making your surroudings all clutter-free does help with the motivation a bit, I find. Feng shui ftw. :smile:

No just started my modules. No exams, just TMAs and EMAs,

I keep meaning to tidy the room and read my notes. It's a maths education module and I have my first students for teaching sessions on Saturday morning and Sunday morning yikes. Also I need a Grade 1 in both my modules to get a 1:1 overall which is what I'm desperate for. Oh please I must do it!
Reply 6682
So people got their grant today. Hope mine arrives soon.
Original post by dg2009
So people got their grant today. Hope mine arrives soon.

Apparently they started sending them out last week, they're doing a couple of modules a day or something. Fingers crossed!
Weekend of manic revision commences. :sigh:

Why, oh why didn't I learn the material inside out and back to front in the first place?
ok, so on my course, last years results... only 68% actually got 'a' result, and 17% of them failed :redface: bit worried about that.
Implicit differentiation confuses me :/
Original post by inksplodge
ok, so on my course, last years results... only 68% actually got 'a' result, and 17% of them failed :redface: bit worried about that.

So 15% dropped out & 17% failed...

What module's this for?

I wonder what the drop out rates are for MST209
So 15% dropped out & 17% failed...

What module's this for?

I wonder what the drop out rates are for MST209

15% dropped out? 68%? surely that's 32% dropped out? :P

http://www8.open.ac.uk/platform/files/platform/file/ecms/web-content/2011_course_results.pdf

u213 :smile:
Original post by inksplodge

68% Passed + 17% Failed = 85%, which leaves 15% who must have dropped out?

Edit:

MST209:
% With results 66.1
% passed 89.7

What does % with results mean? Is that how many people were left for the exam? and 89.7% of them passed it?
(edited 11 years ago)

What does % with results mean? Is that how many people were left for the exam? and 89.7% of them passed it?

I think % with results is how many people actually submitted/did all the necessary stuff for the module (e.g. TMAs, exam, whatever you have to do to be able to pass) - so anyone not included in that dropped out at some stage or another. And then % passed is what percentage of those people who got results got a passing grade. So for U213 I'd read it that 31.9% dropped out, and then 16.4% of the people who didn't drop out, failed.
45% drop out rate is pretty brutal.
It's rather scary isn't it?? 22% get a pass 4, 25% get a pass 3 and 25% got a pass 2... 10% only got a pass 1. so errk.
45% drop out rate is pretty brutal.

S282 Astronomy is like that so I've read. People probably aren't always aware that it's not a casual course for amateurs but there's some tricky physics to get to grips with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
MST209:
% With results 66.1
% passed 89.7

Christ. Knew it was high, didn't realise it was that high.
I CANT WAIT FOR THE EXAM TO BE OVER!!!!!

i'm going to fail at this rate.
Reply 6696
I agree with Nitebot. High drop out rates are usually due to unprepared and/or uninformed students. MST209 has a very reasonable pass rate, I wouldn't be put off by it.

I plan on taking S377 (Molecular and cell biology). 40% drop out, only 60% that complete the course pass. People have been complaining about it for a long time and it was to be discontinued and replaced, but they're extending it! :rolleyes:
Reply 6697
I'm taking S377 in Feb
I hate trig.

For a tiny part of a 2 mark question how the heck are you meant to quickly calculate cosec(2pi/6)... without a calculator... So annoying.

Managed but takes ages
(edited 11 years ago)
MST209 TMA01 part 1 complete :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending