The Student Room Group

Criminology Society Official Thread!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
DancinBallerina
No, there isn't anything on here at all in regards to Criminology apart from the threads people start, like yourself enquiring about the course.

Definately needs looking into I reckon. I don't know about anyone else, but I learn from others and visual, and I feel if people were to post threads on interesting matters in regards to Criminology, it would greatly benefit me with my learning and many others.

I know, it's a shame, but I think it's because it's a quite a new course.

Yep it does, though i'm not too sure how to go about these things...anyone know?!
I don't know if that's how I learn best, but I have found it useful every now and again. I think how I learn depends on WHAT i'm trying to learn, but I think it would be useful to have!
Reply 41
Just a though....anyone on here like me and starting Criminology in September?!
Where are you going to be studying?
LouLou815
Just a though....anyone on here like me and starting Criminology in September?!
Where are you going to be studying?

Durham. :biggrin:
Reply 43
NDGAARONDI
Durham. :biggrin:

Excited?!lol
Yeah. Reading up on the subject already.
Reply 45
That's what I need to start doing actually....Time to head to a bookshop methinks!
LouLou815
That's what I need to start doing actually....Time to head to a bookshop methinks!

Yes but mine was riveting reading. Male Victims of Sexual Assault by Gillian C Mezey and Michael B King. Just started on the Oxford Handbook of Criminology though.
Reply 47
NDGAARONDI
Yes but mine was riveting reading. Male Victims of Sexual Assault by Gillian C Mezey and Michael B King. Just started on the Oxford Handbook of Criminology though.

Let me know how long it takes you to get through the Handbook!
Mackem85
Let me know how long it takes you to get through the Handbook!

Haha. When I saw how many pages it said on Amazon, I did think ^o) after reading the word handbook. Will read selected chapters later on tonight for sure. :smile:
Reply 49
NDGAARONDI

Eep! Sounds interesting though.
Someone I know has just reccomended the handbook actually...finding it useful?
LouLou815
Eep! Sounds interesting though.
Someone I know has just reccomended the handbook actually...finding it useful?

Thoroughly. I made notes from it, keeping original references below each detailed bullet point I made. I had a limited time with this so I picked the most useful chapters and made do with that. It's not as 'gory' as you expect. And I was hoping for more up to date figures quoted in the book, because five years is a long time for this subject.

My current book I requested is, since it is on a medical perspective so it has pictures. I'm not the sort of person who buries their head in the send so to speak. It is entitled "Sexual Assault: Victimization Across the Lifespan" and is written by Angelo P. Giardino, Elizabeth Datner, Janice Asher et al. It's more or less American based but there are still useful parts of the book. the cahpters are devided up well and concise, which means I can pick up more relevant chapters more easily. Chapters on evidence for example, is an important matter, it's not what I'm interested in right now. However, chapters such as "Dating violence and Acquaintance Rape" and "Domestic Violence and Partner Rape" are.

Book I'm reading right now.
Reply 51
NDGAARONDI
Thoroughly. I made notes from it, keeping original references below each detailed bullet point I made. I had a limited time with this so I picked the most useful chapters and made do with that. It's not as 'gory' as you expect. And I was hoping for more up to date figures quoted in the book, because five years is a long time for this subject.

My current book I requested is, since it is on a medical perspective so it has pictures. I'm not the sort of person who buries their head in the send so to speak. It is entitled "Sexual Assault: Victimization Across the Lifespan" and is written by Angelo P. Giardino, Elizabeth Datner, Janice Asher et al. It's more or less American based but there are still useful parts of the book. the cahpters are devided up well and concise, which means I can pick up more relevant chapters more easily. Chapters on evidence for example, is an important matter, it's not what I'm interested in right now. However, chapters such as "Dating violence and Acquaintance Rape" and "Domestic Violence and Partner Rape" are.

Book I'm reading right now.

Looks like you've got it all figured out! Need to get my head in gear, hopefully picking up a book or 2 tomorrow.
They sound like pretty good books though, deffinitly useful and informative. I think I need to head to a library and see if they have them, or can transfer them for me (knowing my library, they wont have it at all!). There's deffinitly no way i'm buying that, it's a tad on the expensive side I think!:rolleyes:
LouLou815
Looks like you've got it all figured out! Need to get my head in gear, hopefully picking up a book or 2 tomorrow.
They sound like pretty good books though, deffinitly useful and informative. I think I need to head to a library and see if they have them, or can transfer them for me (knowing my library, they wont have it at all!). There's deffinitly no way i'm buying that, it's a tad on the expensive side I think!:rolleyes:

I used a loan request service at my local library. It only costs £3.50 each time but after 10 requests (in your lifetime I believe) it becomes £7.50, which I think is a tad extortionate. The irony is that, if I lose this book I have to pay £111.00 plus VAT, which is £130.43. This works out to be £31.15 cheaper than buying on Amazon (taking away the £3.50 loan charge)! And it's not the first time it's worked out cheaper buy declaring the book 'lost' to buy it as well. This must be the upper limit.
Reply 53
NDGAARONDI
I used a loan request service at my local library. It only costs £3.50 each time but after 10 requests (in your lifetime I believe) it becomes £7.50, which I think is a tad extortionate. The irony is that, if I lose this book I have to pay £111.00 plus VAT, which is £130.43. This works out to be £31.15 cheaper than buying on Amazon (taking away the £3.50 loan charge)! And it's not the first time it's worked out cheaper buy declaring the book 'lost' to buy it as well. This must be the upper limit.

Thats pretty good. I'm not sure how much it is at my library (haven't requested anything in YEARS!). That's deffinitly extortionate, £7.50 seems very expensive to me =/
Hmm, maybe declaring things 'lost' is the way forward, just depends on how much you want the book! I guess if it's a useful book, it'd be worth it!
LouLou815
Thats pretty good. I'm not sure how much it is at my library (haven't requested anything in YEARS!). That's deffinitly extortionate, £7.50 seems very expensive to me =/
Hmm, maybe declaring things 'lost' is the way forward, just depends on how much you want the book! I guess if it's a useful book, it'd be worth it!

To be honest, if Hewlett-Packard did not stop manufacturing their Capshare devices, I'd just scan a way - paperless photocopying into PDF format ready to be viewed on the computer. I have some but they're not designed for heavy use. And they can scan beyond the width of the scanner by scanning a U shape over the book. It then stiches up the letters as if you scanned it in one go. It sells very well on eBay, and I had to use foreign based sellers, to get a good deal. Not that it takes much effort using online translators of Dutch and Spanish these days!
Reply 55
NDGAARONDI
To be honest, if Hewlett-Packard did not stop manufacturing their Capshare devices, I'd just scan a way - paperless photocopying into PDF format ready to be viewed on the computer. I have some but they're not designed for heavy use. And they can scan beyond the width of the scanner by scanning a U shape over the book. It then stiches up the letters as if you scanned it in one go. It sells very well on eBay, and I had to use foreign based sellers, to get a good deal. Not that it takes much effort using online translators of Dutch and Spanish these days!

Sounds like it'd be alot of work though! I guess if it saves money though, doing it that way makes sense! I wish I had something like that, but I don'y think my laptop would be able to cope with anything that intelligent methinks!
Ahhh the usefulness of translators online....you can literally find everything on the net!:biggrin:
LouLou815
Sounds like it'd be alot of work though! I guess if it saves money though, doing it that way makes sense! I wish I had something like that, but I don'y think my laptop would be able to cope with anything that intelligent methinks!
Ahhh the usefulness of translators online....you can literally find everything on the net!:biggrin:

Good way to save space. :smile:
Reply 57
NDGAARONDI
Good way to save space. :smile:

And money! If I can get my old computer working again, I might look into it!
Reply 58
Pre-freshers reading around the subject already. Are you all insane? He he :biggrin:
Reply 59
Mackem85
Pre-freshers reading around the subject already. Are you all insane? He he :biggrin:

Insane!?Pretty much!:p:

Leaves me a bit more free during freshers week you see, as I doubt i'll be fit state to read around then :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending