The Student Room Group

how many hours of independent study do you do for each A-level subject per week?

Scroll to see replies

strawberry_princess
What?? I do my homework... so about 1??! How do you have time to do 6 hours?!

you can do an hour or an hour and half each day and viola 6/7 hours by the end of the week :smile:
omg 30 hrs per week!!! i worked v hard during my A2s (not my ASes) but dont think i did that many!
Turdburger
30 hours... jesus, im sure you dont need to do that. I revised for exams sure.. but 0 the rest of the time.

Well I spend my frees doing set homework and 5 hours after school doing things I've said I'll do on my schedule. 3 nights a week for English (which requires a lot of work to perfect your understanding the texts), 1 for Geography, 1 for Philosophy/History uni preperation. I spend my Sunday doing C/W usually (which doesn't require that much effort, as, at the moment I'm just re-reading the English text I'm doing it on).
Reply 23
necessarily benevolent
If that's 1 hour a week then, *hmm* *hmm*

Spoiler

My school embeds it in our brains that we should do at least 5 hours per subject per week, and that's not even to get an A.

I barely turned up to lessons last year, so doing my homework is a step up for me! I still got good grades though :s-smilie:
necessarily benevolent
If that's 1 hour a week then, *hmm* *hmm*

Spoiler

My school embeds it in our brains that we should do at least 5 hours per subject per week, and that's not even to get an A.

Yeah thanks thats a lovely thing to say. Jeez well if you wanna do like 50 hours a week then thats up to you.
No Future
omg 30 hrs per week!!! i worked v hard during my A2s (not my ASes) but dont think i did that many!

And I'm not even a straight A student. :frown:
necessarily benevolent
3 nights a week for English (which requires a lot of work to perfect your understanding the texts),

/
english lit?
No Future
/
english lit?

Naturally.
Dear god I feel really guilty now that I do barely anything outside of school. Economics and english never give us homework, so they get no attention until exam time. Politics and classics give the odd homework which I sometimes do, but not often. The onyl subject I'm doing any work for outside of lessons this year is french because I'm rubbish it at it and I really enjoy learning the language so I do the exercises sometimes in my book, nothing else.
necessarily benevolent
Naturally.

but english is fabbo because it requires less work than anything else! why put in that much time? for me, it was discussion during lessons yadda yadda, sometimes set essays. i did some essays but not most of them because it would take too much time and effort. i did okay. i love english. i blag it
I think it's mainly my English teacher who keeps driving it into us that we need to know the texts exceedingly well (and he's very encouragimg too). Can't hurt I suppose. I mean most of the time it's just reading and making notes, which is needed for a constructive class discussion, especially with Shakespeare and Chaucer.
Excluding lessons...

I try and do 6-8 hours, but including procrastination, I attempt to study for 10+ on each subject each week :s-smilie:
Reply 32
i'm doing my as levels and for that about 3 hours a week which is hwk.
i really should do more, makes me feel guilty reading some of the other posts.
Reply 33
Umm...i do about 8 - 9 hours of "independant study" per week per A level subject, all of which has to be done at home becuase i only have 5 frees every two weeks at school. But...im going to drop economics, as soon as they let me and sign the bloody form, so ill soon be able to do more work at school and less at home. Well that's the plan anyway.
By the way I didn't do 30 hours for AS, it's just this year where I've decided to step it up a notch and get AAA[A].

Last year I think I spent around 4 hours per week in my frees, about 2 hours a week night, making 10 a week and about 1 hour in the weekends. So it was around 15 hours last year.
5 hours a week
Reply 36
italianstallion
Rougly. I probably do about 6 hours

omg!!! You are really the studious type of person.
When i took A Level, i divided my time according to the subject's toughness.
Since i don't like Physics so I spent around 5-6 hours for it.
Since i wasn't the one who not really good in memorising things, so I spent around 4-5 hours for Biology.
and for the easiest subjects plus I love both of them, I spent around 2-3 hours for Chemistry and Mathematics.:smile:
Independent study? At A Level? Ha. For me at least, the only thing I'd class as independent was when I googled things because I didn't quite understand them, or as part of coursework. Other than that, I did what I was told to do, and as much as was needed.
Reply 38
About 15 hours; two on a school night and three on a weekend.
Reply 39
wow u guys find so much time, my college says u should do 4 hours per subject so 16 hours a week, i am struggling to achieve that and i normally study alot... should i try harder with subjects like maths, economics, bio and chem

Quick Reply

Latest