The Student Room Group

Harvard

Scroll to see replies

Danny_777
Also, what the hell were you drinking; since WHEN has $40k equalled £17k?

You'd probably graduate with £100k+ debt from Harvard.

i realised my mistake but i never got around to changing it. and yeah, maybe £100k debts OVERALL, not PER YEAR as the other guy was suggesting.
Reply 41
Fandellos
i realised my mistake but i never got around to changing it. and yeah, maybe £100k debts OVERALL, not PER YEAR as the other guy was suggesting.

yeah 100k pounds is close for overall

well actually it's going to be more....but its not a good estimate for just one year

I tried the "calculate average college costs" on collegeboard the other day and it spit out $205,000 total for four years and I think I almost threw up. At least it gave me some incentive to fill out my FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) :biggrin:
Actually, it's a lot harder to get into Harvard/Yale than into Oxbridge. Because at the Ivies, they look at your extra-circulars beside your academic achievements. It's really a pain-in-the-ass. However, you have a good chance of getting into Oxbridge with AAA, but even a 2400/2400 in SAT can't guarantee you admission into the Ivies. And before anyone starts ranting the SATs, I've done A-levels and SATs myself, the SAT English is particularly very hard. Otherwise it's a joke.
Reply 43
accelerator
Actually, it's a lot harder to get into Harvard/Yale than into Oxbridge. Because at the Ivies, they look at your extra-circulars beside your academic achievements. It's really a pain-in-the-ass. However, you have a good chance of getting into Oxbridge with AAA, but even a 2400/2400 in SAT can't guarantee you admission into the Ivies. And before anyone starts ranting the SATs, I've done A-levels and SATs myself, the SAT English is particularly very hard. Otherwise it's a joke.

it's meant to be a general aptitude test that you are supposed to take without preparation...if you are pretty smart, it should be easy.

plus it's standardized and is used for all universities across the country (most unis don't expect as high SAT's as Harvard)

but I do see a lot of faults in the SAT... ie the difference between a 790 and a 740 could be 2 questions and how that looks to college admissions
plus all those who are gunning for the top unis have basically the same SAT scores anyway...i really think they should look at AP's but whatever.

As for the original question lol, Harvard/most ivies are much harder to get into than oxbridge. Just because of the amount of applications they get...my friends COULD NOT UNDERSTAND that cambridge had a 1/4 acceptance rate
when i told them i had a 1/5 chance in the pool they all were like WOW THATS AMAZING
For ivies and schools like it, you must be perfect in every way to be accepted (at least if you're from here) and sometimes that isn't enough: our valedictorian got rejected from stanford ED (not even deferred!) and she has the best academic profile I've ever seen. but you could argue it had to do with stanford's whole "diversity" thing but that's a whole nother story :biggrin:
Reply 44

Uhhh, you don't have a good chance of getting into Oxbridge with just AAA. A good look at the admissions procedure will make that abundantly clear.

As someone pointed out before; if you're schooled in the US system getting into HYPSM is easier; if you're schooled in the UK system, getting into Oxbridge is easier. Oxbridge's admissions process has a much more academic slant; and nothing in the Harvard admissions process really compares to the rigour of a good Oxbridge interview.

Most of that aid does consist of loans though.

I don't think that's true. I'm quite sure the elite American universities have abolished loans in the need based financial aid schemes. Harvard's financial aid is godlike.

I must admit that Cambridge does have a better mathematic programme, but the same cannot be said for the other scences, with many at Cmabridge opeenly admitting on TSR that the courses at Oxford (chem, the bio (multiple subsets) and physics), are much better in Oxford than Cambridge.

Ughhhh, no idea where you get this from. Oxford is not better than Cambridge at sciences far less to be called MUCH better; that's just silly. It is generally well established that Cambridge is supreme in sciences.
jw366
Uhhh, you don't have a good chance of getting into Oxbridge with just AAA. A good look at the admissions procedure will make that abundantly clear.

As someone pointed out before; if you're schooled in the US system getting into HYPSM is easier; if you're schooled in the UK system, getting into Oxbridge is easier. Oxbridge's admissions process has a much more academic slant; and nothing in the Harvard admissions process really compares to the rigour of a good Oxbridge interview.

If you didn't know, international students who get accepted into Oxbridge are rarely interviewed. And that's a lot.
Reply 46
harvard is harder... i think
Reply 47
If you didn't know, international students who get accepted into Oxbridge are rarely interviewed. And that's a lot.

Statistics? Or just guessing?
Reply 48
HESA
well it's much easier, SATs are easier than A levels, the americans emphasise the need for EC.

It's harder if you're already doing A levels as you have to revise for SATs, but if you're doing SATs much easier.

HAHA, SAT's are not the A level equivalent! Its just a entrance exam like the GMAT or the LSAT. Americans must deal with AP exams, the equivalent of A levels, though imo a little harder because it all comes down to the exam not much course work.

Harvard is much, much harder to get into. The academic profiles of those who have been accepted, that I have seen, are ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous, top of the class since before they could spell university. Oxbridge offers are pretty sad tbh, you can get away with more A's than A*'s and still limp away with an offer. The EC's that you need to get into Harvard, Yale and the like are coupling a sublime academic record. Oxbridge it seems to not care for EC's and seem to be lowering standards. Plus there is the whole issue of different courses being harder to get into, not every course is as hard to get into as PPE.

Furthermore, Harvard has many many more applicants, the internationals are now more than ever making a difference in acceptances. This is because the do quota internationals, or at least they used to up until recently, so it is even more competitive considering only the highest caliber of students from the most prestigious schools abroad apply there.

Acceptance rate Harvard = 7-8%

Oxbridge in general is 20-25% i think? (not certain on this one)
Reply 49
Connhk
HAHA, SAT's are not the A level equivalent! Its just a entrance exam like the GMAT or the LSAT. Americans must deal with AP exams, the equivalent of A levels, though imo a little harder because it all comes down to the exam not much course work.

Harvard is much, much harder to get into. The academic profiles of those who have been accepted, that I have seen, are ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous, top of the class since before they could spell university. Oxbridge offers are pretty sad tbh, you can get away with more A's than A*'s and still limp away with an offer. The EC's that you need to get into Harvard, Yale and the like are coupling a sublime academic record. Oxbridge it seems to not care for EC's and seem to be lowering standards. Plus there is the whole issue of different courses being harder to get into, not every course is as hard to get into as PPE.

Furthermore, Harvard has many many more applicants, the internationals are now more than ever making a difference in acceptances. This is because the do quota internationals, or at least they used to up until recently, so it is even more competitive considering only the highest caliber of students from the most prestigious schools abroad apply there.

That is just not true.
Reply 50
I know a lot of American Ivy leagures who would not cope at Oxbridge.
Reply 51
sulpicia
I know a lot of American Ivy leagures who would not cope at Oxbridge.

Same; a great deal of them are monkeys, and certainly not in there because of academic merit, despite their performance on the ironically named 'scholastic aptitude test.'

MIT people on the other hand, are a very different matter. The exchange students I met made Cambridgians look like party animals rather than losers, like slouches rather than academic gimps. Truly atrocious people. Some of the absolute G-I-M-P-S that I met from MIT, second year at Cambridge, were on a year abroad that didn't even ******* count for anything, essentially, and still shut themselves up in their rooms desperately studying, rather than enjoying the experience, probably chomping down on the anti-alzheimers and narcolepsy drugs that they are so fond of during term time at their own institution. One asked me if I knew where I could procure some, megalolz.
Reply 52
SouthernFreerider
lol

i hear this a lot.

basically, it all depends on where you live.

if you have been brought up in the uk system, oxbridge is a lot easier.

if you have been brought up in the us system, harvard is a lot easier.

its because the unis are TOTALLY different. could write pages on the differences, and basically, the uk system gears you to get into oxbridge, and vice versa, making it very hard to get into the overseas equivalent.

also, as far as undergrad goes, you cant beat cambridge in general. its postgrad where harvard wins. you cant beat the job prospects at harvard either. but cambridge is more academic.

:smile:

lol, you're missing out Oxford, which is obviously a LOT better :yep:
Oddjob39A
I'd imagine Harvard would be far, far harder to get into.

1) Best university in the world and can afford to turn away anyone less than brilliant

2) Pay equal attention to extra-curricular activities in keeping with the whole american 'leaders of tomorrow' shtick

3) Have a damn fine reputation to uphold and don't want anyone with any kind of blemishes

4) Have a truly global prestige and can pick and choose from anyone, anywhere

Isn't it something ridiculous like 40 applicants per place?

Cambridge is different how exactly?
Reply 54
Oddjob39A
I'd imagine Harvard would be far, far harder to get into

Isn't it something ridiculous like 40 applicants per place?

:eek: OMG, are you serious?!
Reply 55
Nyet
Same; a great deal of them are monkeys, and certainly not in there because of academic merit, despite their performance on the ironically named 'scholastic aptitude test.'

MIT people on the other hand, are a very different matter. The exchange students I met made Cambridgians look like party animals rather than losers, like slouches rather than academic gimps. Truly atrocious people. Some of the absolute G-I-M-P-S that I met from MIT, second year at Cambridge, were on a year abroad that didn't even ******* count for anything, essentially, and still shut themselves up in their rooms desperately studying, rather than enjoying the experience, probably chomping down on the anti-alzheimers and narcolepsy drugs that they are so fond of during term time at their own institution. One asked me if I knew where I could procure some, megalolz.

A good chunk of MITers are internationals... The American High School System is hardly a preparation for a degree. Same Britian is going the same way.
Nyet

The SAT is basically an IQ test; you don't get Harvard-level scores on it by being a monkey, as much as you might believe otherwise. You can hardly blame American high schoolers for lack of knowledge when their high school curriculum is so poor. That's one of the reasons why US higher education is four-year and the first year has lots of subjects studied outside of a final major choice. It's essentially high school but with real learning.
Mahana
:eek: OMG, are you serious?!

No, he's an idiot who's making **** up.

(Btw I'm not being sarcastic :P )
Reply 58
Connhk

I never said they're the same as A-levels :wink: maybe you should learn to read before you consider Harvard?

Like i said, Harvard is easier to get into than onxbridge if you're in the american system.
Reply 59
For another interesting stat, fewer than 10% of the valedictorians (the person with the highest grade in the entire school) who apply to Harvard get in. A majority of people with perfect SAT grades do not get in. Virtually everyone applying to Harvard is one or the other, so the college makes decisions based on other criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending