The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophiaMaria
hello everyone
i really want to go to glasgow and sat my ukcat today, got 2630 (657.5)
worth applying?

652.5 last year. Hard to tell what way it will go. depends entirely on who applies and with what scores. I applied with 660. If you really would like to go there, then risk it.

Is it your only risky choice? What is your first choice?
Reply 261
Does that mean everyone who got over 652.5 was interviewed?
Original post by Oggz
Does that mean everyone who got over 652.5 was interviewed?

as long as met academics too then yes and were ranked in the 800!
2009 - 615 cutoff
2010- 640 cutoff
2011- 652.5 cutoff

So if the maths continues the way it has so far, we're looking at 658.25 cutoff.

Now because my maths is only based on 3 results, it is likely to be inaccurate but...
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero
2009 - 615 cutoff
2010- 640 cutoff
2011- 652.5 cutoff

So if the maths continues the way it has so far, we're looking at 658.25 cutoff.

Now because my maths is only based on 3 results, it is likely to be inaccurate but...

Sergio I think reading your posts you are desperate to apply. If I were you I might chance it if I felt the same. I understand your maths but I think the cut off will be higher than 658 so your taking a big chance with anything under 670 I think that's my honest opinion. Ask sweetchilli she knows a lot about glasgow:smile:

Btw as a general rule how many reapplicants are successful 2nd time anyone any idea
Original post by Oggz
I'm pretty certain I will be rejected from Glasgow.

If you're certain why are you applying:confused: can't you choose another one that might suit better?
Sergio I think reading your posts you are desperate to apply. If I were you I might chance it if I felt the same. I understand your maths but I think the cut off will be higher than 658 so your taking a big chance with anything under 670 I think that's my honest opinion. Ask sweetchilli she knows a lot about glasgow

Btw as a general rule how many reapplicants are successful 2nd time anyone any idea

You're right, I love big cities. I've never been one for the smaller unis. I've already applied to 3 unis and I'm looking for a 4th.

I'd hate it if I applied and didn't even make an interview but I'd hate myself even more if i didn't apply and the UKCAT score was <662.5.

But I think it's one of those times were if it was meant to be, it would. I feel it would be much better to apply for a uni were the ukcat wouldnt be the be all and end all because I believe I can really shine in interviews.

Thanks for everyones help on this thread and wish everyone the best of luck in getting into Glasgow. C ya.
Original post by Sergio Kun Aguero
You're right, I love big cities. I've never been one for the smaller unis. I've already applied to 3 unis and I'm looking for a 4th.

I'd hate it if I applied and didn't even make an interview but I'd hate myself even more if i didn't apply and the UKCAT score was <662.5.

But I think it's one of those times were if it was meant to be, it would. I feel it would be much better to apply for a uni were the ukcat wouldnt be the be all and end all because I believe I can really shine in interviews.

Thanks for everyones help on this thread and wish everyone the best of luck in getting into Glasgow. C ya.

The application process is terrible and really stressful . Good luck But just remember we are all in the same boat with choices.I can only apply to Scottish universities so I'm really limited:redface:
Original post by sweetchilli
652.5 last year. Hard to tell what way it will go. depends entirely on who applies and with what scores. I applied with 660. If you really would like to go there, then risk it.

Is it your only risky choice? What is your first choice?[/QUOT

Yes I remember you from last year, congrats on your place! Glasgow is my dream choice, but I also love Dundee. Know what? I'm just going to go for it :smile:
Yes I remember you from last year, congrats on your place! Glasgow is my dream choice, but I also love Dundee. Know what? I'm just going to go for it :smile:

Glasgow is my dream choice too - got 690 on the UKCAT. Fingers crossed!

Ah all the best of luck then! If you want any more info, PM me... :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 271
692.5 in the ukcat yesterday :smile: Revenge for the 580 I got last year!
I think I'm safe for the cutoff, when did they say what the cutoff was last year?
Reply 272
Hey guys, thought I'd get involved in this thread.

I'm a graduate re-applicant going for glasgow again.

All the best with your applications guys!
Original post by Vox0
Hey guys, thought I'd get involved in this thread.

I'm a graduate re-applicant going for glasgow again.

All the best with your applications guys!

Good luck to you too! You sat your UKCAT yet?
Reply 274
Original post by ChangedMyMind
Good luck to you too! You sat your UKCAT yet?

Yes indeed, did well enough (see my profile) but I've had two interviews-> rejection so its not the UKCAT I'm worried about this time!
Original post by Vox0
Yes indeed, did well enough (see my profile) but I've had two interviews-> rejection so its not the UKCAT I'm worried about this time!

O great UKCAT score! Fancy sharing some interview advice for Glasgow :wink:?
Reply 276
Original post by ChangedMyMind
O great UKCAT score! Fancy sharing some interview advice for Glasgow :wink:?

Hah! they were before my degree, about 5/6 years ago, so I'm not sure how relevant that exp is now. I definitely had the standard doctor questions. Talked about PBL and had questions on extra-curriculars. Oh! I had at least 1 question on recent medically related news I think. The one question that stood out went something like: 'what is the health like in the area that you live in?' I was pretty stumped at that but I said that health is good compared to other areas, due to decent health education, wealth etc.... but tbh I had no idea.
I spoke to a couple of junior docs today who said Glasgow was very friendly to grad applicants!
Original post by Vox0
Hah! they were before my degree, about 5/6 years ago, so I'm not sure how relevant that exp is now. I definitely had the standard doctor questions. Talked about PBL and had questions on extra-curriculars. Oh! I had at least 1 question on recent medically related news I think. The one question that stood out went something like: 'what is the health like in the area that you live in?' I was pretty stumped at that but I said that health is good compared to other areas, due to decent health education, wealth etc.... but tbh I had no idea.

732.5 in the UKCAT, so going to be brushing up on my mad interview skillz for Glasgow :woohoo:

Quick Reply

Latest