The Student Room Group

Received offers, unsure about which uni

Poll

Which uni would you choose?

The title itself is pretty self explanatory :smile:. The offers I have received are from:
- Southampton
- Sheffield
- Queen Mary University London
- Exeter
- Reading

I've been looking through various posts on TSR, league tables and any other information, but I'm still at a loss as to which uni I should firm. I'm considering using Reading/Exeter as an insurance as they're both AAB.

Would be great to hear current student's experiences. Discuss away I guess :biggrin:. I've also added a poll, so you can vote (written reasoning as to your choice would be much welcomed though :P)

Thankyou for reading :biggrin:

EDIT: This is for law btw :P
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey I was just wondering what courses these are for.
Personally out of all these 5 I would say Queen Mary, but that is personal bias, towards the uni and london
Reply 2
Oops! I've just added that in (kinda helpful knowing the course I guess :P )

It's for law :biggrin:
I went for Southampton, but I have a pretty huge bias! That said, I'd probably rank Southampton as [one of] the best in that list, although I'm not sure of the current rankings (not that they're the be-all-and-end-all anyway). I expect QMUL is still high but in my opinion it's a bit of a hit and miss university because the law faculty is highly respected but the university as a whole, not so much.
However I went to Queen Mary a couple of weeks back to visit and its a great university, and their Law program is insanely good, like on those best rate lists its right behind Oxford and Cambridge. I loved the campus, and the teachers are great. They also have epic people come in, like a few months back Noam Chomsky gave a speech, its insane. and the athomsphere is very nice, and basically although the whole uni is not as good, like ur not going for the whole uni, ur going for law, and its literally like 15 minutes (not even) from london central. Super chill.
Reply 5
QMUL is still high but in my opinion it's a bit of a hit and miss university because the law faculty is highly respected but the university as a whole, not so much.

This is part of the trouble I'm having picking between the two. I've heard though, like Sarah has mentioned, that qmul does have a really good reputation for certain areas of law. So I guess the question would be does the general prestige of the uni outweigh how good it's department is?

Rascacielos you couldn't possibly elaborate on your time at Southampton could ya? I.e. what you enjoyed, what you thought was lacking and opportunities available (I realise the last largely depends on what the individual makes of it) ? :smile: If you could drop me a pm that would be awesome.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Bump. Any more ideas guys :biggrin: ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
From what I've heard Queen Mary has a really good law department :smile:
As always with uni choices - have you visited all the choices your seriously considering - in your case 5? Obviously it costs money and travel takes time, but at the end of the day, you are going to be spending the next 3 years of your life at uni. However, most people will enjoy the their uni time wherever they go. Definitely worth visiting 2/3 though!
Reply 9
I visited 4 of the 5 so I have a pretty good idea what they're like. Qmul I'm yet to attend an open day. Mainly looking for current student's experience of the uni and thoughts on reputation etc... :smile:.
I am visiting QMUL in two weeks, I can ask questions for ya if you need!?
Reply 11
If you could just drop me a pm with your general impression of the uni, campus etc.. and all that stuff that'd be really good :smile:. Are visiting the law department?
Original post by Ihai
If you could just drop me a pm with your general impression of the uni, campus etc.. and all that stuff that'd be really good :smile:. Are visiting the law department?

yea no worries, it is actually my second time visiting the QMUL campus, only this time all students will be in session, while when I was there, it was winter break so everybody was gone. :smile: so an update will come to you in about 2 weeks :smile:
Reply 13
Awesome stuff, will be really useful to get an impression of qmul :smile:. I should be visiting around March time but it'll be nice to know what to sort of expect :smile:.
Reply 14
QMUL because it's one of the few universities that offers Cyber Law :cool:
Reply 15
I would tend to say QMUL (which I chose btw) because I don't know much about Southampton and Exeter apart from the fact that they're a bit lower-ranked than QMUL for Law.

However, avoid Reading and Sheffield if you can. Not that they're bad, they're just not as good as the other unis...

Making up your mind will depend on which modules you want to study, good luck :smile: !
Reply 16
I've thought about shelving Reading and Sheffield for a while now tbh :smile:. I'm not so sure about the rankings being a best judge though. If we're going on league tables... QMUL is ranked higher than say KCL, but we all know KCL is better for law. Which then brings us back to the dilema; Southampton a more established uni or QMUL and up and coming law school?...
Reply 17
Original post by Ihai
I've thought about shelving Reading and Sheffield for a while now tbh :smile:. I'm not so sure about the rankings being a best judge though. If we're going on league tables... QMUL is ranked higher than say KCL, but we all know KCL is better for law. Which then brings us back to the dilema; Southampton a more established uni or QMUL and up and coming law school?...

I understand but then, did you also look at the modules you'll have to choose in your 2nd and 3rd year (generally)?

Which ones do you think you'll end up doing? Even a rough idea is good, because some universities are better in Human rights law than Commercial law for example.

KCL is a bad example because right now it's not, academic-wise, as good as it was for law but I agree with saying that for now, it's better (in terms of employability).

Have a look at the Law league table thread to make up your mind. Your choice depend on what you want to do after studying law (sollicitor/barrister/something else?) too.
Heya I visited QMUL have a bunch of pictures if you would want that. I liked the Queen Mary campus A lot, it is very campus based, so everybody is on campus. THe people are really nice, and very focussed on their studies. The library is like the centre of the whole university. The campus is almost like divided up in campus side and university side. Law building is fab. and they have so many extra curricular clubs. the area is a bit dodgy, between uni and central london. However going past it there is nature, there is water in the neighbourhood, and some stores and good restaurants. It is like a meltpot of cultures at the uni and in the neighbourhood. Any questions??
Reply 19
Hey,

If you could send me some pictures that'd be really good :smile:. Would you like me to pm you my email?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending