The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The worst I have encountered is a bit of teasing which is actually a bit of fun in small amounts. Then again, people I know make small race puns to each other as well, we pretty much poke fun but never bully each other at many different things.
Example, people ask me "what is it like to sleep with guys?" I sometimes poke a bit of fun and say it is like sleeping with a woman if the *i*s are big enough.
People make jokes out of whatever they can to give everyone a decent laugh every now and again.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Actually, as I said, I am gay and all my friends know it too. I AM "Tolerated" and was never bullied for my sexuality. So, obviously Africa will not tolerate it because it kills gay people because it is seen as a crime punishable by death because they view it as a "sickness".

Besides, we are not talking about marriage here. Anyway, that *kinda* crosses the species barrier. The basic biology of courtship is that an animal will try and woo a mate through a courtship dance. I am pretty sure that if a monkey, dog or cat tried to do its mating dance with you, you wouldn't respond, right?

Homosexuality has been legal since 1967 (a total of 45 years) and has since evolved and the UK will probably legalise gay marriage by the year 2015 (can't say I am that bothered because marriage is under religion and, 1 - I am not religious, 2 - Most religions would see me dead).

So, in short, homosexuality is NOT frowned upon in the UK like the rest of the countries you have seen. Well, at least not where I have been anyway. People view me for who I am and not what I am, albeit I usually wait a good few months before coming out to people so they get to know me as a person and thereby know whether or not I am the kind of person they want to be around.

So, in short, I am openly gay but I am not fruity. I like most of the stuff guys like but, I just don't find women attractive.

Religion doesn't own marriage, it doesn't have to have anything to do with it, my parents civil marriage never mentioned god, neither did my brothers..
This isn't really directly related but is somewhat indirectly related to the current situation we are talking about here.

There is a theory of a gay gene way back in prehistoric man where there was a dominant male and, since biologically, males are supposed to be fighters, or to say the least, more physically capable of hand to hand combat than women.
Homosexual individuals would be left with the females as a method of protection.
So, if this is a kind of adoption because if you trusted a person not to sleep with your daughter, aunt, stepsister, sister, or in this case, an adopted child, then, it was seen as something which could be beneficial to the group.

Video is seen below:

[video="youtube;MHDCAllQgS0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MHDCAllQgS0[/video]

So, in a sense, homosexual individuals were and still possibly could be seen as adoptive individuals, if you have it, "nannies" to people in need of a home.
I am not trying to apply this to such a full extent back then, but, the adoption part could be seen and brought back (well, when I say brought back, I mean as it was then without the mother/father role model BS issues). How it disappeared I will never know.

Although, these are all theories and no proof exists as of yet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Dawkins obviously isnt aware of the super wonderful theory of green.tea. Which is that gays realised that they would need offspring to care for them as they got old so still formed m/f partnerships purely for the purpose of child rearing.
Yes, i really am now going to start arguing with richard dawkins.

Gonna need some good battle music for this...
(edited 11 years ago)
Also I disagree with the idea homo=ninny incapable of hunting. From what ive read samurai often had gay sex and theyd own you in the face. I think gay ninnyism is a cultural thing like hippies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 906
I did my essay on this for my folio and I think they should be allowed to. Surely a child is better off with two loving dads/mums, than no parents at all?
Original post by green.tea
Also I disagree with the idea homo=ninny incapable of hunting. From what ive read samurai often had gay sex and theyd own you in the face. I think gay ninnyism is a cultural thing like hippies.

That was never said. It was said that many homosexuals had desirable traits, perhaps one was a better hunter or perhaps one had better trapping skills. However, it wasn't like humans to leave their females unprotected at home. So, it was said in the video that the one who stayed behind to protect the females was probably a homosexual due to him being physically stronger than the females and not sleeping with the dominant male's woman.

So, it wasn't as though homosexual individuals/partners weren't incapable of adopting back then or looking after children for long/extended periods of time because a hunt could possibly have taken several days to complete.
So, why so different now?

*Gone slightly off topic here*
As for bullying, in my experience while mothers are all tell the teacher dads say to punch anyone that picks on you as hard as you can. Thats what stops the bullying. Telling the teacher will only make it worse but physically sticking up for yourself will earn respect and stop the bullying. A good example of an area where male input is required.
That was never said. It was said that many homosexuals had desirable traits, perhaps one was a better hunter or perhaps one had better trapping skills. However, it wasn't like humans to leave their females unprotected at home. So, it was said in the video that the one who stayed behind to protect the females was probably a homosexual due to him being physically stronger than the females and not sleeping with the dominant male's woman.

So, it wasn't as though homosexual individuals/partners weren't incapable of adopting back then or looking after children for long/extended periods of time because a hunt could possibly have taken several days to complete.
So, why so different now?

*Gone slightly off topic here*

Dawkins implied homosexuals as other than "big butch men"
As for bullying, in my experience while mothers are all tell the teacher dads say to punch anyone that picks on you as hard as you can. Thats what stops the bullying. Telling the teacher will only make it worse but physically sticking up for yourself will earn respect and stop the bullying. A good example of an area where male input is required.

Actually, my mother is a proper tom boy and will have a go at anyone who is an ass. I remember getting into a fight when I was about 15. Whilst there was no official winner because a teacher came into it, I did earn a bit of respect and actually became friends with the guy in the end.

You DON'T need a male role model in the house. All you need is a good head on your shoulders telling you when to fight or not. I am not a violent person and typically never ever lose my temper.

EDIT:
Bad English is bad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Actually, my mother is a proper tom boy and will have a go at anyone who is an ass. I remember getting into a fight when I was about 15 and I got into a fight. Whilst there was no official winner because a teacher came into it, I did earn a bit of respect and actually became friends with the guy in the end.

You DON'T need a male role model in the house. All you need is a good head on your shoulders telling you when to fight or not. I am not a violent person and typically never ever lose my temper.

Ok it a generalisation. But its still generally true.

EDIT:
Bad English is bad.

This is my conversational english. I find it good.

Actually, when I told a member of staff and the police, the bullying stopped. At least from one source anyway.
And again the 'male' input of telling you to punch someone doesn't have to come from a father, it could come from a cousin, uncle, grandfather, family friend or even a mother. It's a stereotypical gender role, and it doesn't require you to have a father.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by minimarshmallow
Actually, when I told a member of staff and the police, the bullying stopped. At least from one source anyway.
And again the 'male' input of telling you to punch someone doesn't have to come from a father, it could come from a cousin, uncle, grandfather, family friend or even a mother.

I dont wanna go back over that again. Lets discuss the gay gene.

What do you think about the gay gene dying out due to adoption but remaining as result of my suggested m/f child rearing partnership idea?

What do you think about the gay gene dying out due to adoption but remaining as result of my suggested m/f child rearing partnership idea?

Don't need it. Whoever said you need penetrative sex to have kids nowadays?
Sperm and egg donation?
Reply 916
I've given up any hope of green.tea grasping the idea of gender roles.

You don't want to go over it again because you're wrong? Hurray!

Did you watch the Dawkins video? If my brother was gay and I was straight and I had a baby his 'gay gene' would be potentially passed on in my children, because we share some of the same genes.
And homosexuality is not 100% genetic, as evidenced by twin studies.

Your suggested m/f child rearing partnership idea would probably work as a family unit, but it isn't necessary, so why bother considering it at all unless that is what people want to do?
Don't need it. Whoever said you need penetrative sex to have kids nowadays?
Sperm and egg donation?

Arent anything to do with adoption. Even 50% of gays choosing adoption will see the prevalence of their gene drop pretty sharpish.
Original post by Jester94
I've given up any hope of green.tea grasping the idea of gender roles.

Well he doesn't want to discuss it again, so I'm assuming he's conceding, seeing as how he knows nothing about it and I have studied it in psychology.

Latest