The Student Room Group

I did all my exams in blue ink

I never realised you were only supposed to write in black.
What's gonna happen? I'm doing A-levels by the way.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This might not be of any help but I did my geography gcse in blue ink and nothing happened, I think it is only really an issue if it's scanned by a computer, but I'm sure they'll mark it regardless
Reply 2
Original post by hannahsy
This might not be of any help but I did my geography gcse in blue ink and nothing happened, I think it is only really an issue if it's scanned by a computer, but I'm sure they'll mark it regardless

Thank you!
I think it's fine, just so long as you didn't use a pencil!
Reply 4
As long as they can read it when it's scanned it should be fine. You won't be the only person, I guess they worry about people writing in highlighter or glitter gel pen.
Reply 5
I did all my exams in blue ink, still got B's and C's :/ wouldn't worry until it comes stun
Reply 6
To be fair, you should read the instructions, if you're not capable of reading and comprehending the simplest of instructions, it's probably better that your exam won't be marked.
Even though it always says on the front page to "Write in black ink".
Reply 8
your school's invigilators are pretty ****e not to realise that you write in blue on the cover when you wrote your name!!

It's not that big a deal I don't think.
Reply 9
I think such papers go in an 'unscannable' pile and are marked by hand instead of scanning. That's what my English teacher told me last year, anyway :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by shezshez
To be fair, you should read the instructions, if you're not capable of reading and comprehending the simplest of instructions, it's probably better that your exam won't be marked.

I'm sure you've never made a mistake in your life :smile:
We were told that black was required as it's easier to scan in.

I don't know about not marking it.
You won't gte in trouble, or automatically get zero or anything, the only problem would be if your writing doesn't show up on the scanner. It should be fine though.
Original post by shezshez

This... lol
I'm almost certain they used to say 'write in blue or black ink'.

Either way, if it doesn't scan it gets marked by hand, usually.
Reply 15
Original post by ~Infinity~
I'm sure you've never made a mistake in your life :smile:

Oh I probably have, you're right. (Yeah I detected your sarcasm) but when I acknowledge I make a mistake that is entirely my fault I don't bitchfit on TSR.

I'd like to think I can follow the simplest of instructions.
Reply 16
Are they really that fussy, when we do exams, we're told blue or black, and have pencil for multiple choice grids!
Does that only apply for A-levels?
Original post by EmmaJane_

It's not an issue, I did all my A-levels in blue ink and was fine :wink:
Original post by EmmaJane_

In every exam I've ever sat, the invigilator reads out the rules of the exam, which they legally have to do. Part of it is: 'Write in black ink only. No highlighters, gel pens or correction fluid may be used on your answer paper'. Every question paper says 'Write in black ink only' on the front. The invigilators at my school also say 'Anybody who does not have a black pen, raise your hand now', and they give out black pens to those who don't have one.

Your papers will show up as not have any writing on them, as the scanner only picks up black pen.
(edited 11 years ago)
I've written loads of exams in blue pen, I still do, don't worry about it. They ask you to use black because it scans better, but they won't refuse to mark an exam written in another colour. If it's dark, it'll scan. Some exam boards still have "black or blue pen" written on the instructions. As long as you're not using something like yellow, don't worry about it

Quick Reply

Latest