The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tathrim
Hey all, been busy this past week, but awesome things are happening!

Three companies looking at me for possible summer work and a job following after Uni! I'm only a second year, but it's nice to have! One's unpaid, but the other two seem promising for options as well. I'm arranging dates for interviews, so hopefully I'll have some money.

Though, in the short term, I'm a bit sunburnt after an awesome weekend listening to the Prodigy, Metallica and Black Sabbath, among others! :biggrin:

So Gofre, those Audio Technica over ear headphoness you recommended me still considered by the community to be the best for around £120?

As for Apple, my iDevice isn't supported by iOS6, and Macbook Pros seem a bit meh, it'll just mean screen tech and Thunderbolt'll become cheaper in the next few years. I'm more interested in a Transformer Book, or the Taichi laptop/tablet, both of which are from ASUS. My parents have a Transformer Prime at home, and I like the form factor, but want something more useful as a laptop on a daily basis.

You bastard! You never told me you were going to Download! :mad:
Original post by Tathrim
I'm more interested in a Transformer Book, or the Taichi laptop/tablet, both of which are from ASUS.

Just googled these... Crazy! Especially the second (though I don't really see a use for it - I think a detatchable keyboard makes more sense and who wants to give presentations through the back of their laptop on an 11.6" screen? :s-smilie:).
Original post by Tathrim
So Gofre, those Audio Technica over ear headphoness you recommended me still considered by the community to be the best for around £120?

Was it the M50s that I suggested?
Reply 2343
Original post by Mad Vlad
You *******! You never told me you were going to Download! :mad:

I wasn't aware that anyone here was a fan of that sort. I apologise, I will warn in advance, next time.

Original post by hassi94
Just googled these... Crazy! Especially the second (though I don't really see a use for it - I think a detatchable keyboard makes more sense and who wants to give presentations through the back of their laptop on an 11.6" screen? :s-smilie:).

I have a HP TouchSmart series 2 laptop, and I use it more in the rotation state with the lid facing up and over the keyboard unless I'm working heavily on something. It's a convenience thing of not having to find the keyboard each time you wanted to use it.

Yup, those are the ones. Anything better arrived since March?
Original post by Tathrim

Not really, the M50s take a lot of beating. Definitely my suggestion in this price range!
I've just been seriously asked, by an IT colleague with a degree, how many thirds make a whole... :facepalm:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Not a bad target to con out of pizza slices. :holmes:

:lol:

I like your thinking.
http://www.amazon.de/N56VZ-S4066V-Notebook-Intel-3610QM-NVIDIA/dp/B007RLLO00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339596607&sr=8-1

Looking very 'Macbook Pro' but decently priced for what it is!

P.S. Is there any way of making Chrome auto-translate pages? I know it's only one click as it is but I'd prefer if it was automatic and didn't come up with the translation bar.
(edited 11 years ago)
If anyone's after some cheap, quality storage for their PC: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000511BI
Original post by Tathrim
I wasn't aware that anyone here was a fan of that sort. I apologise, I will warn in advance, next time.

I have a HP TouchSmart series 2 laptop, and I use it more in the rotation state with the lid facing up and over the keyboard unless I'm working heavily on something. It's a convenience thing of not having to find the keyboard each time you wanted to use it.

I sold my ticket because I didn't have anyone to go with :frown: I am disappoint.

Who gives a stuff about CIO's. It's CISO's that need to worry about these FAPple trinkets. They are verboten from our corporate network because their security is just non-existent.
Original post by hassi94
If anyone's after some cheap, quality storage for their PC: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0000511BI

Oh ****ing excellent news! Ordered.
Reply 2354

Another option might be for CIOs to require workers who want to bring their own high-powered devices to the office to bring their own bandwidth as well.

I don't even what is this. :eyeball:
Reply 2355
Original post by G8D
I have a question about Macs (apologies).

Do all of them still come with 1 year free Apple Care? Also is it true that students who purchase in store get 3 years AC for free, someone told me this but not sure if true.

If you buy a Mac through regular channels you get the standard 1 year warranty and 90 days' phone support. Through the education store you get 3 years of AppleCare and 1 year of telephone support. Both can be fully extended to 3 years of AppleCare and phone support (in the case of the student plan this is basically a waste of money).
Original post by G8D
See I'm on the edu store at the moment and it's still speaking like AC is an optional extra. Do you need to purchase from the physical store to get it free?

FWIW "APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN UPLIFT MACBOOK/MACBOOK AIR/MACBOOK PRO 13" (HE CONTRACT) [+ £48.00]" is the thing on offer besides "none".

if I remember correctly it gets tacked on automatically rather than being an option you choose.
Reply 2357
Original post by G8D
So this £50 thing is probably just the extra phone thing?

Yes.
Original post by G8D
I have a question about Macs (apologies).

Do all of them still come with 1 year free Apple Care? Also is it true that students who purchase in store get 3 years AC for free, someone told me this but not sure if true.

AFAIK - students get 3 year warranty and the 1st year of that is also applecare, and then you can upgrade to 3 year applecare for £50.

Original post by Dez
Yes.

I thought applecare IS the phone support?
Reply 2359
Original post by hassi94
AFAIK - students get 3 year warranty and the 1st year of that is also applecare, and then you can upgrade to 3 year applecare for £50.

I thought applecare IS the phone support?

It's phone support and extended warranty. On the student discount you don't get the full phone support unless you buy it separately.