The Student Room Group

Cambridge - post A Level

Hi all, just out of interest, I have an offer for Experimental Psychology at Bristol (AAA) which are my predictions ( I was lucky to get an offer :tongue: ). However, if I get say A*AA/A*A*A which based on my January modules is possible do you think it's worth having a shot at Cambridge's new Psychology degree.

-I do Psychology, Geography and RS - All A's at AS level.
-AS Biology (grade C) which I dropped
-Extended Project: A*
-Open uni module 72%
-GCSE's ( 3A*, 3A, 3B)

Or do you think I should just accept Bristol which I do love ! Just Cambridge's new course looks perfect for me and what sort of grades would I need in my A2's to give myself a good shot ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Nobody here can tell you what to do. However, since Cambridge is really competitive you're not guaranteed a place - so you would have given up something you love for something not guaranteed.

But really, it's just wait and see. You don't know yet what grades you have, so you could be worrying for nothing.
Reply 2
I think it'd be really risky; and if you got rejected, it will have been a complete waste of a year.

BUT... Having said that... If you feel really confident, I'd recommend it. But I mean REALLY confident. If you got 3 A*'s at A-Level, I'd definitely do it. But I think it's worth knowing that some may argue that you haven't exactly taken the 'hardest' subjects. I think for Psychology they also like to see Maths A-Level, but I could be wrong.
Reply 3
Original post by Hebbamundo
I think it'd be really risky; and if you got rejected, it will have been a complete waste of a year.

BUT... Having said that... If you feel really confident, I'd recommend it. But I mean REALLY confident. If you got 3 A*'s at A-Level, I'd definitely do it. But I think it's worth knowing that some may argue that you haven't exactly taken the 'hardest' subjects. I think for Psychology they also like to see Maths A-Level, but I could be wrong.

The subjects are all 'strong' apart from psychology which is a 'medium' subject - but due to its relevance to the degree programme will be considered a as a good subject.

His/her subject choices are all perfectly acceptable.

OP - keep Bristol's offer (for now). Wait until results day; if you get the grades A*AA (or higher) you'll be in for a decent chance at Cambridge. You can always re-apply to Bristol too to add security to your application.
Original post by Jackkkkk
Hi all, just out of interest, I have an offer for Experimental Psychology at Bristol (AAA) which are my predictions ( I was lucky to get an offer :tongue: ). However, if I get say A*AA/A*A*A which based on my January modules is possible do you think it's worth having a shot at Cambridge's new Psychology degree.

-I do Psychology, Geography and RS - All A's at AS level.
-AS Biology (grade C) which I dropped
-Extended Project: A*
-Open uni module 72%
-GCSE's ( 3A*, 3A, 3B)

Or do you think I should just accept Bristol which I do love ! Just Cambridge's new course looks perfect for me and what sort of grades would I need in my A2's to give myself a good shot ?

Information about the course says "Neither course has any specific A Level subject requirements, although a science or mathematics subject to A Level (or equivalent) is considered useful for PBS."
Reply 5
Original post by Jam'
The subjects are all 'strong' apart from psychology which is a 'medium' subject - but due to its relevance to the degree programme will be considered a as a good subject.

His/her subject choices are all perfectly acceptable.

OP - keep Bristol's offer (for now). Wait until results day; if you get the grades A*AA (or higher) you'll be in for a decent chance at Cambridge. You can always re-apply to Bristol too to add security to your application.

Thanks for the advice :smile: I will ofc keep the offer for the the moment and if I get high grades I'll consider Cambridge and yeah as you say I'll re apply to Bristol.

I just needed someone to say my plan was rational and I'm not being silly :tongue:
But then again i won't just chuck Bristol in lightly if you know what I mean :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest