The Student Room Group

Does science count as 3 GCSE's?

I've never really thought about it but does taking all 3 sciences count as 3 gcse's but all 3 sciences are combined in 1 test?
It depends. Double science is worth 2 GCSE's and triple science is worth 3 GCSE's. I don't if this has changed now but when I did GCSE's that's how it was.
Reply 2
Original post by alexmaan
I've never really thought about it but does taking all 3 sciences count as 3 gcse's but all 3 sciences are combined in 1 test?

I doubt it. Ask your teachers to be sure, though.

Edit: Negged?! Why?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by alexmaan

If they're combined into one test then it counts as one GCSE. If you do Triple Science (3 separate subjects and exams) then you'll get 3 GCSEs.
Reply 4
*GCSEs :tongue:

But, otherwise, alexmaan is right. I did double science on AQA and, if I remember correctly, there were 2 exams plus a couple of assessed experiments (Investigative Skills Assessment) for each of biology, chemistry and physics.
Reply 5
If you're doing Triple science (biology, chemistry and physics) then it counts as 3
Core science + Additional = double award which is equivalent to 2.
Check with your teachers you can do a variety of different examinations in different combinations with different exam boards and different qualifications (IB & IGCSE). Most people are taught in separate lessons but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll take 3 sciences individually or an award which produces 3 GCSEs.
If your taking double award then on your results slip will it say biology, chemistry, physics ?
Reply 8
Original post by Midnight1811
If your taking double award then on your results slip will it say biology, chemistry, physics ?

If you take a double award your certificates will say....Core Science and Additional Science. :smile:
Reply 9
I did triple, and on my certificate I have all 5 listed (bio,chem,phy,additional and science). So do only the 3 separate science ones count? :s-smilie:
Reply 10
If you choose Triple Science. You'll take a test in Physics, Biology and Chemistry and you'll get a separate grade for each, equalling 3 GCSE's.

Quick Reply

Latest