The Student Room Group

What Happens If You Overdose On Prozac?

What effect does it have on you? How many would you need to take for it to have a serious effect?

Don't worry, I'm not planning suicide or anything like that - I'm just wondering because I occasionally double-dose by accident when I forget I've already had one that day, so I just wanted to check I'm not doing myself any damage.
Reply 1
Probably just feel a bit woozy and light headed. How long have you been doing it? It might be worth a liver function test.
Reply 2
You're one happy bunny.
I'm not sure whether a double dose will do that much harm, though some more medically minded people will probably correct me.
Reply 4
It's still not worth double dosing though, it's fairly pointless. Just try not to forget in the first place. Do you have a pill box?
Prozac is pretty safe to overdose on so even if you're planning suicide you'll look like an attention seeker if you try it on prozac.
According to Drugs.com

Symptoms of a Prozac overdose may include nausea, vomiting, fever, sleepiness, rapid or uneven heartbeat, confusion, fainting, seizures, or coma.

But it doesn't say what dose this is about. A double dose shouldn't do much harm but for god's sake buy a pill box. I think you can get them free if you ask your GP.
You feel crap the next day because you no longer have a pill for that day.
relaxes you maybe, i haven't personally overdosed on that drug so i don't know.
Double dosing = bad, however, the chances are you're not on the highest possible dose of of the drug anyway (i.e. the normal therapeutic dose is around 20mg, but you can go up to 80mg safely), so you're probably not doing yourself any major harm.

However, mood-wise it's likely not great for the therapeutic effect. You need to take antidepressants regularly and consistently for them to achieve the desired effect.

And just to clarify, taking a double dose won't make you happier. You can't take a whole box of antidepressants and feel ecstatic, it's simply not how they work, sadly. It's more likely you'll feel a whole lot worse because of the side effects of upping your dose.
From personal experience, It was like a high, i dont remember anything aside from puking my guts out, and being so hot i felt like i was on fire. I was in the hospital for almost a week on iv's, i completely ruined my kidneys, and my liver is so damaged that i cant even take two tylenol. Although that was my fourth time overdosing. Dont do it, its painful, and not worth it. I got help, so could you.
Anonymous
What effect does it have on you? How many would you need to take for it to have a serious effect?

Don't worry, I'm not planning suicide or anything like that - I'm just wondering because I occasionally double-dose by accident when I forget I've already had one that day, so I just wanted to check I'm not doing myself any damage.

If you double dose occasionally, that's probably not going to harm you.

A big overdose can cause seretonin syndrome...a rather unpleasant and potentially life threatening complication.
What if you take about 35 in one take
Original post by Rockthisway
From personal experience, It was like a high, i dont remember anything aside from puking my guts out, and being so hot i felt like i was on fire. I was in the hospital for almost a week on iv's, i completely ruined my kidneys, and my liver is so damaged that i cant even take two tylenol. Although that was my fourth time overdosing. Dont do it, its painful, and not worth it. I got help, so could you.

Erm whoever posted this honestly made me decide not to overdose...so thank you I guess

Quick Reply

Latest