The Student Room Group

Car Insurance - Nissan Micra 1.0 - 17 Year Old Lad

Main Driver: Male - 17 Years Old -
Named Drivers: 1 50 Year Old Female - 1 51 Year Old Male
Car: Nissan Micra - 1997 - 3 Door - 1 Litre
Driving License: Full UK Manual with Pass Plus - Held For 7 Days -
Type of Cover: Fully Comp - Social Domestic &Pleasure (Inc Commuting)
Main Driver Occupation: Student (Further Ed)
Car No Claims Bonus: 0 Years
Modifications: None
Added Extras: 1 Years Standard Breakdown Cover with Greenflag
Address: Low Crime Area
Length of Cover: 12 Months
Company: Churchill Insurance

£2k? £1.5k? £1k? Nope........£725.00!

The secret?....Churchill Insurance accepted 1 years no claim bonus on a 50cc scooter when I was 16 years old! Although they don't treat it the same as Car NCB, they still offer a substantial discount!

Tips?

> Insure a 50cc scooter when you're 16. Should cost around £200 which you will save when you come to buy car insurance anyway.
> Add parents as named drivers...it was cheaper with additional named drivers than with me on my own.
> Do your Pass Plus. Mine cost £40 through the Council and knocked 5% off my premium. If you're premium is £2k, thats £100 off the price. The experience is good also.
> Buy a little 1 litre car as you're first car. Nissan Micras seem to be really cheap on insurance. Its very basic, but still comfortable and can cruise at 70mph on a motorway, getting up to 95mph if you really need it.
> Go with CHURCHILL....they seem to be good for young drivers, and they are practically the only insurance company which accept motorcycle no claims discount from people aged under 18.
> Ask for freebies, I got given 1 years breakdown cover provided by Greenflag, which I was thinking about paying £70 for anyway!
> If you dont need them, cancel any extras they make you pay for. If you've got legal cover from your home insurance, don't pay for it a second time on your car insurance. Cancelling it could knock another £30 off your premium.

I'm sure there are loads more tips but I thought I'd pass on just a few.

Have any 17 year old lads out there got quotes cheaper than £725, fully comp on any car? If so, how did you manage it?

Thanks.

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I was paying less at 17 on a 1.6l.

though I wasn't the main driver...

Sounds like you got a good deal!
I pay £960 to be a named driver on my mum's policy for a 6 y/o 1.2 Micra (new bubble shape), 5dr. Grats on that deal :smile:
Reply 3
Same car and year as me, I had £900 for my first quote, fully comp. I had no NCB though.

I still drive it now, 4 years down the line. About to renew mine funnily enough. Car is fine for a first one, even if it's not the most stylish.
I got my provisional at 17 and have only just got insurance a year later.
Third party insurance on my mum's nissan micra (it's about 15) was only £48 for three months with a £150 excess, just long enough over the summer for me to learn to drive.

My advice:
Get your provisional asap. Don't learn to drive for a year. Get third party insurance. My insurance costs and excess have decreased by about factor 3.5 just because I've been holding a provisional for a year.

(I'm a girl)
Reply 5
I wouldn't recommend to anyone getting a 1ltr car due to how underpowered they are for todays roads with lots of junctions and sliproads.

If you want cheap insurance go for something completely undesirable for students but still fills your needs.
Reply 6
Steeps
I wouldn't recommend to anyone getting a 1ltr car due to how underpowered they are for todays roads with lots of junctions and sliproads.

If you want cheap insurance go for something completely undesirable for students but still fills your needs.

You need something that appears low risk for the insurance companies. Small 'hot hatches' are in innumerable accidents with teenagers at the wheel, and as a result are a very high risk for insurers to have a policy with. As a result, if you move up one size, like to an Astra from a Corsa or to a Xsara from a Saxo then your insurance will most likely go down. Or get a Land Rover :p:
Reply 7
The breakdown cover was included anyway. And if you were going to spend £70 on it, then you should've took a second look.
Nuffles
You need something that appears low risk for the insurance companies. Small 'hot hatches' are in innumerable accidents with teenagers at the wheel, and as a result are a very high risk for insurers to have a policy with. As a result, if you move up one size, like to an Astra from a Corsa or to a Xsara from a Saxo then your insurance will most likely go down. Or get a Land Rover :p:

Not in my expirance at least, i went from a punto to a astra, cost me an extra £400. Its because bigger cars have more power apparently, despite being safer.
Reply 9
PeterGriffin
Not in my expirance at least, i went from a punto to a astra, cost me an extra £400. Its because bigger cars have more power apparently, despite being safer.

Depends, I drive a 2.5L Turbo'd car with a honking great full width intercooler which can easily take 8 people + luggage or tow a fully loaded twin axle trailer yet I pay pittance for the insurance because it's a 20 year old Land Rover.
My ex shared a Micra with his mate, that they were given by a family friend. His mate got Quinn insurance for £300, and they added my ex on for free! Apparently it's a bit dodgy though, because Quinn don't show up on the police database or something, so they used to get pulled over quite often for "driving uninsured".
I have that exact car and my insurance is £310.
Reply 12
Micra = FAIL
1L = FAIL
Churchill Insurance = WIN

Not a bad price at all mate, I went with them on my 1.2 Ibiza and got £1700 which ain't bad, best I could find (That's main driver BTW)
Reply 13
how did you get full driving licence with pass plus in 7 days????? how can you get pass plus so quick!!!!
Reply 14
Passed my test, and had already booked a whole day with the Instructor. Council paid for most of it.

I disagree with the comments about 1 litre cars being dangerous. Its got a 16 valve engine and more than capable of pulling off quick enough in traffic. I'm usually at 70mph by the time I go from the sliproad to the motorway. If you need more power, just drop down a gear. Its a nippy little car.

PJ, I already said that breakdown was included within the premium.

Another tip: > Fully comp is often cheaper than TPFT with low value cars, so try quotes with both.

Also check whether your insurance company will charge you extra once you go from provisional license to full license holder. Churchill don't.

Adding a 17 year old friend to my insurance for a day cost just £20. Handy with daytrips.

Gotta say I'm impressed with the Micra. Runs very well, and because its not a boy racer car, the insurance companies won't sting you.
Tom54321
I disagree with the comments about 1 litre cars being dangerous. Its got a 16 valve engine and more than capable of pulling off quick enough in traffic. I'm usually at 70mph by the time I go from the sliproad to the motorway. If you need more power, just drop down a gear. Its a nippy little car.

I was like that at first, but have you tried a newish 1.6-1.8? Its good to have something to compare too.
Reply 16
nice one
Reply 17
i have tried to get insurance with the same car but churchill say that they cannot give me a quote with the infomation i entered
what do i do?
Reply 18
I hate reading cheap insurance threads, I always feel like i'm being ripped of. :frown:
Reply 19
Well done for getting cheap insurance :smile:

Good tips with the scooter insurance too, my brother had same he had a 50cc Supermoto and got 1 years NCB on that.

However, the only thing I don't agree with is saying a 1.0 Micra is nippy. It just isn't. lol

Latest