The Student Room Group

Stuff that annoys you in the gym

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tara I
Girl 1: "Oh my God! That was knackering! What do you wanna do after?"
Girl 2: "Go to McDonalds?"
Girl 1: "Yeah, I'm craving a Big Mac"

Why the hell do you bother?

Well I do it because I'm putting on weight, so the more I eat the more muscular I can get :biggrin:

I suppose if somebody's gym-ing to lose weight, then that's a bit :confused:
Original post by Architecture-er
I presume it's a denizen, who's fit :tongue:

Just checking it wasn't exclusively muscle-bound, been lifting for 3+ years people.
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
To be honest mate I've not met one girl that doesn't like guys having a quick glance, staring is creepy, especially if you just stare then go away. If you're going to stare go and start a convo :/

I was just going to say I hate guys who try and chat you up in the gym...especially mid workout.

And if we ever met I'd tell you I do not particularly like guys even having a quick glance :tongue:
There are some things that are minor irritations, like people being inconsiderate with equipment (curling in the squat rack, leaving weights lying around etc.) and being very loud and arrogant in groups. The one thing that truly annoys me, though, is people giving bad advice. I suppose they mean well, but when you hear a clueless newbie getting advised by an equally clueless but more experienced guy, it's frustrating, particularly if they're advising on lifts where bad form is likely to be dangerous. I sometimes have to restrain myself from intervening as I'd likely end up doing more harm than good and probably wouldn't be listened to over big-armed, chicken-legged guys.
Reply 44
It's not an annoyance, but I'm intimidated by the free-weights section..

It's always full of massive men, and I don't feel like I can go in without already being ripped - plus I'd feel stupid if I went in and then started examining the equipment and fiddling with things, obviously not knowing what to do

Just go in there, knowing what you want to do and do it. After a couple of times you'll feel right at home.

I used to be the same.
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Just checking it wasn't exclusively muscle-bound, been lifting for 3+ years people.

Hmm maybe.

I've been lifting for like 4+ years, I just have rather long rest periods in-between :colondollar:
Well I do it because I'm putting on weight, so the more I eat the more muscular I can get :biggrin:

I suppose if somebody's gym-ing to lose weight, then that's a bit :confused:

Not if you eat fast food - your gains from that meal will be mostly fat. I'd recommend eating lots and lots, but only healthy, protein rich food.
Original post by bax121
Just go in there, knowing what you want to do and do it. After a couple of times you'll feel right at home.

I used to be the same.

RIGHT

GONNA FECKING DO IT :biggrin:

I will probably pussy out
Reply 48
Other people.
Original post by Dark Horse
But it's the principle, my friend.

lol, you mean "it's the illusion"
Reply 50
Original post by Chumbaniya
There are some things that are minor irritations, like people being inconsiderate with equipment (curling in the squat rack, leaving weights lying around etc.) and being very loud and arrogant in groups. The one thing that truly annoys me, though, is people giving bad advice. I suppose they mean well, but when you hear a clueless newbie getting advised by an equally clueless but more experienced guy, it's frustrating, particularly if they're advising on lifts where bad form is likely to be dangerous. I sometimes have to restrain myself from intervening as I'd likely end up doing more harm than good and probably wouldn't be listened to over big-armed, chicken-legged guys.

Yeah a couple of workouts into SL5x5 a regular lifter told me I should diversify the exersizes I do and encouraged me to use the Smith. I listened (with no intention of following his advice) and thanked him but have completely ignored what he said I feel a bit awkward when I see him now but whatever I can do whatever the **** I want.
Reply 51
Original post by Dark Horse
Yes I have many. And I know that you do too.

Let me start by saying that I dislike people who don't wipe their sweat off equipment when they're done. Disgusting really.

I also dislike friends who are "running" on the treadmills next to each other, and can still physically have enough breathe for a conversation. Crank up the speed, ffs.

I'm guilty :colondollar:
Guys who go to the gym, and lift really heavy, but with really bad form. It just doesn't make sense to me? Who are they actually going to impress, and it does more harm than good!
Girls who don't wear sports bras and then go on the treadmill.
Guys who make sex noises when lifting weights.
People who stand there staring at you if they want to use the machine you're on.
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Not if you eat fast food - your gains from that meal will be mostly fat. I'd recommend eating lots and lots, but only healthy, protein rich food.

I think it's easy to overstate the value of protein over sheer calories. Upping your protein intake is important, but I think that getting enough of a calorific excess to gain weight is where most people trying to bulk up fall down.

Eating fast food isn't particularly great for you, but eating a genuinely big diet without some saturated fats and empty carbs is actually quite difficult.
Reply 55
Original post by mikestraws
Girls who work out in really skimpy shorts and tight low cut tops who have a go at me when I stare.

Girls who don't work out in really skimpy shorts and tight low cut tops.

You say that but I've seem some girls wearing extremely skimpy shorts when they really shouldn't, not a pretty sight tbh.
Original post by bax121
Yeah a couple of workouts into SL5x5 a regular lifter told me I should diversify the exersizes I do and encouraged me to use the Smith. I listened (with no intention of following his advice) and thanked him but have completely ignored what he said I feel a bit awkward when I see him now but whatever I can do whatever the **** I want.

I'm fortunate enough that I don't tend to get people advising me - I think the trick is to be very focused on what you're doing. I tend to look pretty severe when I'm lifting so people don't like to interrupt me! Works even if you're tiny as hell like I am :biggrin:
Reply 57
Original post by The Baron
Curls in the squatrack. Not eating oatz.

How many /fit/izens are there in this thread then?

Sup brah.
I presume it's a denizen, who's fit :tongue:

Incorrect. :wink: If you have to ask, then you're not. :tongue:

If you're scared of the free weights section and don't want to do things wrong, ask one of the guys in there if they'd mind helping you out a little bit with your form/spotting you. Chances are if they're huge then they'll be fairly dedicated to bodybuilding/weightlifting and will love it if a person is sincere in their desire to learn/get stronger. Either that or they might eat you for the protein.
Original post by JordanR
If you're scared of the free weights section and don't want to do things wrong, ask one of the guys in there if they'd mind helping you out a little bit with your form/spotting you. Chances are if they're huge then they'll be fairly dedicated to bodybuilding/weightlifting and will love it if a person is sincere in their desire to learn/get stronger. Either that or they might eat you for the protein.

I don't know that this is a particularly reliable method. It depends on the gym really - if you're in a serious gym typically frequented by athletes, you'll probably get some good advice, but in an ordinary commercial chain gym asking the average reasonably large man in the weights section for advice is going to get you all sorts of misinformation. Pro-tip: if you see somebody doing squats and the top of their thigh goes below parallel with their knee, you're probably safe to ask them for advice.

Otherwise there are plenty of online resources with no-nonsense advice on routines and form (can't be arsed to find a selection now - ask in the muscle building soc).
Reply 59
- Strangers asking me to spot them. 1) I'm here to work out, not to help you. 2) you don't even need someone to spot you unless you are an olympic lifter which you are not.

- Strangers asking me how many sets I have left and then just standing there waiting regardless of my answer. If you were just going to stand there anyway, why bother asking.

- accidentally making eye contact with a middle aged juicer and then having them stare at you for the whole rest of the time you're in the gym

- the amount of frustrated homosexuality in the free weights area

- guys (usually rugby players) who think standing naked in the middle of the changing room for inexplicibly long periods of time is an act of manliness

- accidentally making eye contact with an unnattractive or average girl and then having her think that you were staring and play at being offended. Believe me my little angel, if I was going to perve over someone, it wouldn't be you.

- old people who would be much better off just going for a walk outside

- old gay men in general, especially in the changing room

- anyone who interupts anyone else to offer advice. Just stfu and mind your own business. If I want advice I'll ask someone who I know and respect.

- the terrible, terrible music and moreso the volume. Noone likes early 2000s cheese dance. Why force everyone to listen to it? At least turn it down so I don't have to deafen myself with my headphones just to drown it out.

There's probably more. Kind of makes me wonder why I still go tbh

Quick Reply

Latest