The Student Room Group

A Level or foundation program?

Hi, I am an international student and I am 18, I want to study architecture in the UK. For that I came to the UK since February 2012 for studying English.*
Apparently, I will able to study Pre-UNI( A level ad foundation program) in September 2012.*
I am getting confused that I can't make any decision further choosing A level or foundation.*
Actually I want to study in top universeties but I have got some questions:

1- as an interantional student which one shall I choose?
2- what is the deference between both of them?
3- to be an architect which one should I go for it?
4-if I go to the uni ( not top) is there any defreent between graduated student for none top and top nuis?
5- if I choose Alevel which subject shall I choose?
Reply 1
Original post by Serwan
Hi, I am an international student and I am 18, I want to study architecture in the UK. For that I came to the UK since February 2012 for studying English.*
Apparently, I will able to study Pre-UNI( A level ad foundation program) in September 2012.*
I am getting confused that I can't make any decision further choosing A level or foundation.*
Actually I want to study in top universeties but I have got some questions:

1- as an interantional student which one shall I choose?
2- what is the deference between both of them?
3- to be an architect which one should I go for it?
4-if I go to the uni ( not top) is there any defreent between graduated student for none top and top nuis?
5- if I choose Alevel which subject shall I choose?

It will depend what qualifications you currently have, if you don't have the equivalent of A-levels then I would say do A-levels. Generally places that do a foundation architecture course won't be the best architecture schools.
As far as I know a foundation course (if you are talking about an ARCHITECTURE foundation) is one year extra in addition to the normal architecture course, A-levels are separate qualifications and you would take about 3 taken over two years, but is the more expected way to enter a degree.
I don't think it would matter in the long one which route you chose to enter the profession, but it may make a difference to which universities you can apply to. What universities were you thinking about?
When you first apply for jobs it may be easier to get a job with a degree from UCL than an old poly, but that will depend hugely on the portfolio you produce over the degree and the degree you come out with, 1st, 2:1 or 2:2 a first from a lower ranked university will be much better than a 2:2 at a lower ranked one.
And A-levels if you choose to do them you are likely to need 3 A2s but architecture does not generally require any particular choices, perhaps art or a design based subject would be most helpful. But other than that choose subjects you will enjoy and will do well in and preferably diverse choices so maybe a mixture of sciences/humanities and art would be good.
Reply 2
thank you for your replay.
so if i do A level which subject shall i choose? I don't like to choose physic, will it be a problem?
as you know most of the uni ask for A*AA but if i get AAA or AAB, does it mean that i wont able to join them?
Reply 3
Original post by Serwan
thank you for your replay.
so if i do A level which subject shall i choose? I don't like to choose physic, will it be a problem?
as you know most of the uni ask for A*AA but if i get AAA or AAB, does it mean that i wont able to join them?

I did fine art, geography, biology and general studies and chemistry just to AS. I didn't even do GCSE physics, so no, in a word it isn't a problem. But I would say just a mixture, preferably with an art subject, purely because it makes portfolio making a lot easier and personally I would think if you want to do architecture you should like art anyway.
No most don't ask for A*AA, the only ones in the UK that do are Bath and Cambridge, the majority of the best schools ask for AAA. Newcastle out of the ones I applied to seem to be the most lenient, they say they offer AAA but I had an offer for AAB.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Wow that is great. I decided to choose Maths, fine arts, maybe physics,mand photography is these subjects are good mixture?

Frankly, i am not english speaker, do you think i can get at least AAA or AAB?

I am very good at maths as well as photography, and i am almost good at drawing but i love it.
Reply 5
Sounds like a good combination if you think you can do well. And it really depends on how good you are at the subjects, which obviously I don't know. Art is less about drawing than other things, although most development work is drawing the final pieces generally wont be, I only know one person who did a large piece of work as a drawing. So are you good at painting, 3D work, printing, pastels etc?

As art is the only one of your subjects I've done that's all I can comment on, but don't doubt how much work it requires, I'm aiming for an A and it has taken a lot of holiday time, after school and lunchtimes to get it all done. But i really enjoy it so I don't really mind. Also there is a long dissertation to write in A2 art, you will get help but you will want to get your English as good as possible by then, it would make it easier.
Reply 6
Ah in fact i had not got any art lesson in mupy country, so i am not good at things thad you told me? But i will go to CSM for summer course.

If i do fine art, does i get any help and advice feom my teachers!

Do you think if i do foundation it will be easier for me and if i do foundation does my o,ace feom uni is guranteed!?
Reply 7
Yes you get a lot of help, you will soon find what you are best at and they will help you to improve your technique, obviously without doing it for you. The problem is all the work you do counts towards your overall grade, for instance, my first AS work was awful and i think that was the reason why my grade got pulled down, as a result there is a chance it could affect my A-level grade, so you really need to get as good as possible over the summer. Obviously a course will help but make sure you try out as many things as you can before you start A-levels.

Are you talking about an art foundation course or an architecture foundation? In any case I'm pretty sure you will need A-levels or equivalent to get onto them and universities will probably want some proof of this when you apply to the undergrad course.
Reply 8
yup those foundation course which provide you to do architectue in uni
Reply 9
I'm not really sure, you would probably need to reapply afterwards and will need some qualifications before so I would still advise doing A-levels first. Plus it would give you a chance to improve your drawing and art skills. You may find after the two years that you can then go straight into the BA/BSc course anyway
Reply 10
Thanks.. Now I have unconditional offer at Kent university for doing foundation in humanity subject leading to architecture and if I get %60 my place will be guaranteed.. Do you think this one migh be a good one? Can i ask what is the different between architecture and engeneering archotecture?
Why did you choose a humanities degree? You may find you change your mind after a year anyway. Kent is ok for architecture, but it isn't very high on the league tables. I'm not really sure, I guess at the end of architectural engineering you won't be fully qualified in either profession but I may be wrong. I would think with engineering you would build structures rather than buildings and will be more mathematical, but in probably wrong.
Reply 12
Because when I asked wich one is for architecture they said Humanities. After that i am going to do BA. According to gaurdian it is number 10. For 2013/2014. Can i know hy i am going to change my mind?
Thanks
Hmm, just seems odd, but they wouldn't have said if it wasn't accepted. Ah ok, well I'm saying that from earlier rankings maybe 2011 or 2012. I don't obviously, but I suppose you make just decide you love that subject and want to carry on, there's always a chance of that in any degree really, changing your mind or deciding something isn't for you
Reply 14
Basically I called them today and I asked if I chose since imsted of hum. Am I able to study arch? He said no becuase we have a specific arch pathway in hum. Tjat is why m

Are you studing arch?
Ah ok. No I'm starting in september, just had confirmation from Sheffield
Reply 16
Ow thas is lovely to hear that. Congrats. Is it BA or Bsc? Do you inspired by any architecture?
I'm pretty sure it's a BA because the course is more art based. Well I really can't imagine doing anything else, I've just decided that it is probably the career for me. I've always been interested in buildings and design so the course seemed the perfect combination. You?
Reply 18
Same as you, i cant imagine doing anything else too, and arch is the best thing to me. And I can remeber when I was in grade 1 i said i want to be an arch in future, at the maintime I did not know any thing anout arch at all except making buildings though. :biggrin: Peronally I love buildings and espically skyscreapers. I spend plenty of time of looking at attractive buildings and akyscreapers. And my family has been supporting me alot to gain my dream hear in the UK it is like a storry. One day I will explain it to u if u like. :smile:

Do you think in BA course we are going to do maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending