The Student Room Group

I think i'm going to be heavily depressed when I graduate from university

I just finished first year and it was the best year of my life hands down. I met so many people who I made genuine friendships with, went out clubbing at least three times a week and I found that my course was decent and ended up passing first year

but from here on it's downhill. i'm moving out of halls which i'm sad about since I loved living in halls and everyone in it. i'm going to miss stepping out of my room and wasting a couple hours speaking to be people about random crap haha.

my degree counts from second year onwards so that means I have to work immensely harder. the people i'm living with in a house aren't very outgoing so I doubt i'll be out as much.

also most of my friends at uni are in relationships which is annoying and makes me want to be in a relationship but it's really difficult for me at the moment.

then I have to move out after uni because I hate my hometown since it's pretty deprived and far away from where I want to work. have to find a roommate but then they'll get into a relationship and move out

does anyone else feel this way?

but after typing this all out, I just want to get back to uni and enjoy second year :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I know exactly how you feel!

I've just graduated from a science degree and I thought that my final year would be awful since exams and projects were worth so much but it actually turned out to be the best year ever for going out and making new friends!
All of the people I ended up friends with and went clubbing with were all in much easier courses and in younger years and none of us lived in the same house even!! Since they're still going to be there next year I'll be visiting them loads!!

Also, we all lived in houses and its not uncommon to just walk into people's houses if you want to just waste time chatting about random stuff!! It was basically all we did last year!

I couldn't stand the thoughts of leaving the student life behind so I'm starting post-grad in Sept and I'm so excited about just doing it all over again in a different city now with more new people!!

You still have time as an undergrad....instead of thinking about what you'll miss out on when you're finished, think of ways you can hold on to it for longer!!

Hope this helps a wee bit (:
....also relationships in uni can be totally over-rated (:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by #JayJay
I just finished first year and it was the best year of my life hands down. I met so many people who I made genuine friendships with, went out clubbing at least three times a week and I found that my course was decent and ended up passing first year

but from here on it's downhill. i'm moving out of halls which i'm sad about since I loved living in halls and everyone in it. i'm going to miss stepping out of my room and wasting a couple hours speaking to be people about random crap haha.

my degree counts from second year onwards so that means I have to work immensely harder. the people i'm living with in a house aren't very outgoing so I doubt i'll be out as much.

also most of my friends at uni are in relationships which is annoying and makes me want to be in a relationship but it's really difficult for me at the moment.

then I have to move out after uni because I hate my hometown since it's pretty deprived and far away from where I want to work. have to find a roommate but then they'll get into a relationship and move out

does anyone else feel this way?

but after typing this all out, I just want to get back to uni and enjoy second year :P

whaaat?? i just want to finish as soon as i can my degree and start working immediately! {basically i think uni is such a waste of time since almost 80% of the job you learn it while doing it..}
Reply 3
Original post by almalibre11111
whaaat?? i just want to finish as soon as i can my degree and start working immediately! {basically i think uni is such a waste of time since almost 80% of the job you learn it while doing it..}

It is so not a waste of time! You must be doing it wrong!!
Uni isn't just about the piece of paper at the end of a few years!! You can wipe your ass with that, the life experience and friends you gain are of far greater importance!!

Reply 4
Live the present. :smile:
Original post by Kikifluff
It is so not a waste of time! You must be doing it wrong!!
Uni isn't just about the piece of paper at the end of a few years!! You can wipe your ass with that, the life experience and friends you gain are of far greater importance!!

the life experience i agree...the part where you live on your own ,where you socialize with unknown people and generally when you become a "man" on your own.. about the friends part i think it is sooooo overrated! and also i agree about the piece of paper you wipe you ass but unfortunately if u dont have a **** paper like that you would be serving fries the rest of your life..thats why you got it also..
Reply 6
Well for me the friends I made during my undergrad were the most important thing I got from the 4 years!!
I'm closer to people I've only known a year than to those I've known over ten years from school!! Its those people who help to make the uni experience what it is!!
More often than not during uni you'll get yourself into situations where you need people you really trust around you so I can't imagine the friends made in uni being classed as over-rated!

Reply 7
Enjoy it while you can. After uni - **** gets real!
Reply 8
*wooooooo we're all at uni, wooooooo life experience, wooooooo lets go clubing*

Oh please grow up. Why did you go to university if not to graduate and move on with your life? You can't be a drunken student forever... Clubs, friends and 'life experiences' exist outside of university. As if you're moaning about graduating in your first year...
Reply 9
Yeah, eventually, you'll actually have to work.

Reply 10
Obviously we all have to work at some stage. I just don't see the point in rushing into it at the moment with the economy the way it is.
No harm in staying in uni longer and becoming more qualified in order to get a better job and still enjoy student life in the mean time....beats sitting at home jobless any day or doing a job you don't want to do.

I feel this way too- University was where I academically succeeded, and thrived in an intellectual environment that you simply can't get in the working world.

Id say, keep on your feet regardless, and know your strengths. Don't stay in your hometown, move out (im planning on moving to another city when im done)
Reply 12
When I graduated some years ago, I was surprised at how easily I was able to leave the student life all behind. The world of the young professional beckons and that can be a lot of fun as well!! :smile:

Reply 13
Original post by M1011
*wooooooo we're all at uni, wooooooo life experience, wooooooo lets go clubing*

Oh please grow up. Why did you go to university if not to graduate and move on with your life? You can't be a drunken student forever... Clubs, friends and 'life experiences' exist outside of university. As if you're moaning about graduating in your first year...

you know that the key to success in life is to be happy right? you sound very boring

first year is the time to have as much fun as you possibly can while getting used to the workload at university. of course I want to graduate and get the best possible job, that's the main reason I went to university. but first year is the peak, which i'm going to miss a lot

Original post by Nitebot
The world of the young professional beckons and that can be a lot of fun as well!! :smile:

that scares me haha, but at least you're making money
Reply 14
Original post by #JayJay
you know that the key to success in life is to be happy right? you sound very boring

first year is the time to have as much fun as you possibly can while getting used to the workload at university. of course I want to graduate and get the best possible job, that's the main reason I went to university. but first year is the peak, which i'm going to miss a lot

"The key to success in life is to be happy" - he says whilst moaning on an internet forum about graduating after a single year at university...

How in the world of Jebus do you know when the peak of university is? With your one year of experience? My final year was my favourite year at university, and I know many that would say the same.

I'm not boring thank you very much, the point I CLEARLY made was that all these things exist outside of university so stop moaning about it!
You say that now, wait until third year has driven you to the end of your tether and you can't wait to start real life. :wink:

Spoiler

Reply 16
Original post by TheSownRose
You say that now, wait until third year has driven you to the end of your tether and you can't wait to start real life. :wink:

Spoiler

but real life is scary, expensive and boring :frown:
Original post by #JayJay
but real life is scary, expensive and boring :frown:

:nah: You get a point during university where you realise that you're living a weird sort of suspended animation where you feel like you should have progressed beyond sitting in your room playing video games all day and getting wasted every night ... but you haven't.
Reply 18
Original post by almalibre11111

I really have to disagree. And not in the way that all the people who are pushing the experience and clubbing and blahdiblah.

If you are doing a degree in a subject you love then it is something you study for its own merit in its own right, not something which is merely a means to an end. I find my degree so interesting and actually think I will be sad when it is over because I won't have a constant stream of new ideas coming my way. I'll be able to read and develop my own ideas of course, but I won't have anyone to have discussions with or learn from my tutors.

It's why I'm actively considering an MA and PhD.

Having said that, I also want to do the whole London young professional thing at some point...so I do see the silver lining in the huge cloud of graduation.
Reply 19
Original post by TheSownRose
:nah: You get a point during university where you realise that you're living a weird sort of suspended animation where you feel like you should have progressed beyond sitting in your room playing video games all day and getting wasted every night ... but you haven't.

haha, I can imagine so

i'm almost getting bored of going out almost every night when i'm at uni anyway. I do it mainly because I get bored when i'm not around with other people and I do like going clubbing

this is why I don't want university to end! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest