The Student Room Group

Leaving presents for teachers?

Right, so I'm leaving my school this year, and I really want to get my teachers leaving presents, in particular three who've taught me since lower 6th. The problem is, I don't really know what they'd like. Beyond their subjects I don't really know what their interests are. I'm planning to definitely get presents for my form tutor (also chemistry teacher), biology teacher who's inspired me to continue the subject to university, and english teacher (and head of sixth form), and possibly the other three.

My english teacher, unsurprisingly, is a bit of a book worm, so I'm going to try and get him one - but does anyone have any good recommendations. Beyond that, has anyone got any ideas for the others?

Scroll to see replies

Errr chocolates or alcohol?
Reply 2
I would've thought wine would always be an appropriate, and probably well appreciated, present
Reply 3
dont get your english teacher a book. whilst theyd enjoy it theres a chance theyve already read it since theyre a bookworm. stick with chocolates or alcohol.
Reply 4
~Ollie~
I would've thought wine would always be an appropriate, and probably well appreciated, present

Yes, everyone likes a bottle of good wine.
i would say alcohol is always the most appreciated :smile:

if not chocolates but everyone seems to get chocolates
i dont knoe - you must know what they like - what do you talk about when not talking about school work?

Well i leave next year but ive got my physics teacher a signed copy of Feynman's lectures to give to him next year - because he is a great fan - and ive borrowed his copy like fifty times and its in a bit of a mess - one of the pages been ripped out etc.

For others i dont really know - i dont really like them that much - lol
Reply 7
If I was a teacher, I'd want a bottle of red. Mmm.
Reply 8
Oh man, I got a teacher socks once. I don't know what I was thinking.

Don't get them socks, for the love of God.
Reply 9
My biology teacher's very into fashion, but I don't know where to go from there. My english teacher once mentioned in passing something about enjoying a certain british comic book when he was younger, but like a fool i forgot the name so no chance of getting him a compendium or anything, for nostalgia. My chemistry teacher/form tutor is just very into chemistry. I probably will end up going for wine or similar, but I thought it'd be nice to go for more personal presents - if that makes sense seeing as I don't know very much about their interests.
Reply 10
none of mine are really deserving tbh.

my gf has got me doing more work than any of them ever have done.
slap to the face?
Reply 12
shootbangfire
Right, so I'm leaving my school this year, and I really want to get my teachers leaving presents, in particular three who've taught me since lower 6th. The problem is, I don't really know what they'd like. Beyond their subjects I don't really know what their interests are. I'm planning to definitely get presents for my form tutor (also chemistry teacher), biology teacher who's inspired me to continue the subject to university, and english teacher (and head of sixth form), and possibly the other three.

My english teacher, unsurprisingly, is a bit of a book worm, so I'm going to try and get him one - but does anyone have any good recommendations. Beyond that, has anyone got any ideas for the others?

Well we got gifts for each of our teachers as a class. For our chemistry teachers we got a tshirt with Excelman on te front and Hardcore 08 on the back- in joke with the class, and the other teacher we got a mug with a photo of the class with her on it.

For the bio teachers we got one a orchid and the other a decorated trowel. They really liked them

THink of something that they don't get all the time to make it special.
Reply 13
a bottle of vodka!! on the day study leave started, i had to get my teacher something, i got him some vodka! he loved it, and we even had a drink together @ 9 in the morning! lol, but it was goood fun, and could have only done it with him ... hes so great : ) loool
Reply 14
Caliowin
Well we got gifts for each of our teachers as a class. For our chemistry teachers we got a tshirt with Excelman on te front and Hardcore 08 on the back- in joke with the class, and the other teacher we got a mug with a photo of the class with her on it.

For the bio teachers we got one a orchid and the other a decorated trowel. They really liked them

THink of something that they don't get all the time to make it special.

The one for the bio teacher is really good - i like it! What a lovely thing to give, and plus it's something they'll remember you by!
Reply 15
shootbangfire
The one for the bio teacher is really good - i like it! What a lovely thing to give, and plus it's something they'll remember you by!

the trowel was the V&A one with William Morris design on it, from Lakeland. Places like bloomsbury sell it too. You could also of course get a normal trowel, a permament marker and decorate it.
Reply 16
I meant the orchid, but thanks :smile:
id say wine is very dodgy! most are ok with it - they expect it - however theyre probably gonna end up with about 30 (depends on class size - also consider presents from lower years) bottles of wine then!!

if you know ur teachers well see what theyre in to from other teachers or people who knw them, or get something you think is meaningful.

some people have got teachers (a bit of girls present) me to you teddy bears and things. obviously you can start with a card...
its a good idea to get together as a few people (say in the english class) and get a collective present, signed card from all etc. we were going to get my maths teacher (whos leaving) a t-shirt with a phrase she always says "It's like getting blood out of a stone" !!! however the yr 11s beat us to it! presents like that are really good as its original and sentimental
My friend always buys teachers pens...not sure why but they seem to love them!
I agree, the problem with getting wine is that most students go for that, and if they end up with 20 bottles of wine it starts to loose its sentimentality (and they may think you think their an alcoholic or something...)

I tend to buy flowers for female teachers, like this Orchid and for male teachers, cufflinks are always a nice gesture. Depends if teachers at your school wear suits though?
Reply 19
shootbangfire
I meant the orchid, but thanks :smile:

Ah, M&S have some nice ones :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending