The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Aha, OK - I can never remember what the official guidelines for this are from the biology peeps but generally the best bet is to draw a smooth curve through the dots - it doesn't have to touch them all and in fact you usually don't get a perfect curve from your dots, but it should be a smooth curve. I wouldn't join the dots. If you Do join the dots, use a ruler - but it's usually best to draw a line that looks as if it's what your dots would fit to if there weren't any experimental errors. If you get my drift.

Sorry, explaining this stuff is difficult but I never worked out how to attach pictures - I'll try to do you an example and attach it!
Reply 2
MadNatSci
Aha, OK - I can never remember what the official guidelines for this are from the biology peeps but generally the best bet is to draw a smooth curve through the dots - it doesn't have to touch them all and in fact you usually don't get a perfect curve from your dots, but it should be a smooth curve. I wouldn't join the dots. If you Do join the dots, use a ruler - but it's usually best to draw a line that looks as if it's what your dots would fit to if there weren't any experimental errors. If you get my drift.

Sorry, explaining this stuff is difficult but I never worked out how to attach pictures - I'll try to do you an example and attach it!

Yeah, I think I smooth curve is the best way to go. Don't worry if you can't attach a file :smile:
Reply 3
Melanie47

That's not a line of best fit, you've just joined the points.
Here's an example - http://www.harcourtschool.com/glossary/math_advantage/definitions/line_o8.html

You're probably better off with a curve of best fit.
Reply 4
Grotbag
That's not a line of best fit, you've just joined the points.
Here's an example - http://www.harcourtschool.com/glossary/math_advantage/definitions/line_o8.html

You're probably better off with a curve of best fit.

Yeah, I know... that's why I was asking for advice. Thanks for the link.
Reply 5
Yup, I am in fact completely incapable of uploading the file. They always seem too big and I don't know how to make them smaller :s: (Biologists are allowed to be technophobes, OK?!) But hopefully the link Grotbag (GREAT name) provided is helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Calculate the centroid and then draw the line :smile:
Centroid=average of all X coordinates and Y .
That should give you a good line of best fit.
If it is a curve being plotted, use a "flexi curve " ruler , those bendy ones.

Latest

Trending

Trending