The Student Room Group

Christianity and Masterbation

I am struggling with masterbation and I profess to be a Christian so this is really worrying to me. I need help!

I have been looking online, reading through all the advice Christianity has to offer regarding this problem and Ive seen arguements confessing this as both sin and not sin.

Ive grown up (a catholic) and up untill my early twenties I did not masterbate but it seems thats I have fallen away somewhat and it seems as though now I am powerless to accomplish victory in this area.

I know about LEV 15:16 in the OT, and there is hardly no mention of this sin beyond this passage.. the word 'masterbation' if ever one existed (in greek/ Hebrew) is not mentioned in the Bible I thnk...

I know what Christ said in the NT.. and my arguement is I do this out of weakeness not rebellion because I agree with God...

My point is (and Im convinced if u want to argue that Im sinning when masterbating) how do I overcome this temptation/ problem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I feel sorry for you I really do.

I'm probably not going to convince you but I really think this should'nt be a problem. The teachings you look at stem from a time where beliefs included such things as sperm contains babies, and it just goes inside the women and grows (they had no concept of the womans egg). Because of this they came to the conclusion that masturbation was murdering babies. We now know that this is not the case. ******* is perfectly natural, it is the way you rid yourself of sexual frustration when you can't have sex. If God wanted you not to **** then he would have not given you such a strong temptation. He would have only given it to you once you were married in a loving relationship.

Some Christian philosophies.
Situation ethics: would say it causes no one any harm if you masturbate and would be a better alternative than have you struggle against your natural desires.

Natural law: could be interpreted to say that it is not bad because at the moment you do not have the opportunity to procreate, if you did and you masturbated that would be wrong.

It doesn't go against any of Kants precepts.

This is one of the sad things I find about some strains of Christianity, they turn sex into something shameful. Some strains even teach against taking pleasure in it.
Masturbation has been the norm since we were monkeys, it harms no one. Do you know other animals who get sexually frustrated? Dogs, and we castrate them to stop this.

To point you in a direction I don't want you to go in, in Christianity masturbation is often referred to as Onanism, or the crime of Onan. He was this guy who had sex but pulled out and came on the ground.

But seriously, live your life through reason, not what some old guy or some old book tells you. If the bible said cutting your hair was a crime against God would you not do it?
The sad thing is probably yes.

If God had that big a problem with it you'd think that Jesus would have something to say about the subject would'nt you? he doesn't. Red letter Christians only follow what Jesus actually said and see everything else as human fabrication. I have respect for that viewpoint.
Also if you just leave it you will eventually come in your sleep. You won't be able to help it. Would God make you come in your sleep when you cannot control yourself 24-7?? these are all questions that your faith has not come up with any descent answers.

Goodluck
Reply 2
Or you could just enjoy life and not read some crap book... how revolutionary! If you wanna have a ****, do it.
sorry lol but someone has to mention monty python's "every sperm is sacred" :p:
Reply 4
ogloom
You are in your twenties! ****!

Why are you surprised ?
Christianity stunts development.
You will burn in hell...:woo::eek3::yep:
Hello, I had this same problem. If you regard it as a sin as I did then the way to battle it is the same as other temptation; prayer, reading and reflecting on the total sufficiency of the cross. I had tried to stop pre being a Christian and found it quite impossible, Christ gave me sufficient grace to quit this. Also whilst leviticus mentions this, it only does so on grounds of ceremonial uncleanness, it also lists sex within a marriage context which is clearly no sin. Jesus and apostles teach on sexual immorality frequently, the question is whether this act falls within that term. I would argue it does as i had insufficient strength before and was given sufficient strength to stop post conversion. Sorry if this isn;t theological enough but may help you.
I think if you're a good christian then this isnt as important as you're making it. It's totally natural and although i had that kinda guilt when i started as well, i just separated that stuff from every thing else lol- you're causing no harm and if nothing else its a release that allows you to concentrate more fully on other things, and other aspects of your faith as your not always fighting that temptation
mate, isn't it true that God is the almighty forgiver? exactly :smile: x
Reply 9
You touch your cock, you gonna go blind and get a haemmoroid in your ass. Jus' sayin'.
Reply 10
I am not christian but I have friends that are...

Its a tough issue, I think this may sound strange but as long as you feel guilty when you do it - to some extent or for the act, thats better than not feeling it at all. And in your position as soemone who respects and believes in commands.... that feeling is important even if you go against the commands. Though this isnt enough on its own- and youd have to try maybe not to give in as much as you would like to. Im female and i do think guys with have this alot more difficult than we do. Maybe whilst doing this try and find a lady friend, but I have noticed alot of guy go into sports and get a bit of release that way. I hope this helps I am just trying to see it from your point of view. Sorry if this wasnt the answer you were looking for. I enjoy reading about different religions and although I am not christian in reading and discussions I came to the view that it is definitely not aprroved not by the people but by christian doctrine. And maybe.....and I am just thinking if it is a sin it is somehwhat redemable against good deeds... but I think you have to feel somewhat bad and show some restraint to it.
Reply 11
Try rolling dices instead. :dice:
Reply 12
flugestuge
A fascinating discussion from Tractate Niddah
http://www.come-and-hear.com/niddah/niddah_13.html

I do not know what Jesus would want you to do about masturbation,
however I hope that he would spell better than you do.

this ^^^^
storm9

Can I just say to most of the people who've replied so far who are being a bit silly about this:

Juest because you don't believe in Christianity, doesn't mean everyone should just go along with what you believe.
Some people do have a spiritual dimension in their life which they care about. Just because you can't see something, doesnt mean its not real. And its not a sign of stunted growth or anything like that, it's having the balls to be able to make decision about the way you live your life based on what you believe.

Just to say to the OP, my personal understanding of the Bible is that masterberbation is accepted, although not as an alternative to sex in a loving relationship. The old laws are there for the Jews of passed generations, and no longer appliacable since the coming of Christ.

The key example I look at is in Acts.
God tells Peter in a vision to kill and eat. But Peter says he wouldn't eat anything impure on unclean (under Jewish rules), and God says "'Do not call anything impure that God has made clean". Basically saying, the old laws have been abolished. Just listen to Jesus.

So yes, dont worry about Leviticus.
Reply 14
If you don't think Jesus wacked it occasionally you're kidding yourselves.
moley89
If you don't think Jesus wacked it occasionally you're kidding yourselves.

:rofl: rep!
Reply 16
This is one of the reasons I hate christianity.

Jerk it, dude!
I remember being in the same position way back when I was still a Muslim. I tried to quit, but could only last about a month. It's no use going against a healthy natural urge. Who exactly are you hurting when you masturbate? How could it possibly be immoral? When I asked myself that, I realised how silly I was being. You might want to read the Bible one of these days - any sane person would find the Abrahamic god's standard of morality to be appalling.
I'm no Christian, but I'd still assume that St. Pete's got bigger things to worry about than youngun's pleasing themselves now and then. :smile:
Reply 19
storm9
I am struggling with masterbation and I profess to be a Christian so this is really worrying to me. I need help!

I have been looking online, reading through all the advice Christianity has to offer regarding this problem and Ive seen arguements confessing this as both sin and not sin.

Ive grown up (a catholic) and up untill my early twenties I did not masterbate but it seems thats I have fallen away somewhat and it seems as though now I am powerless to accomplish victory in this area.

I know about LEV 15:16 in the OT, and there is hardly no mention of this sin beyond this passage.. the word 'masterbation' if ever one existed (in greek/ Hebrew) is not mentioned in the Bible I thnk...

I know what Christ said in the NT.. and my arguement is I do this out of weakeness not rebellion because I agree with God...

My point is (and Im convinced if u want to argue that Im sinning when masterbating) how do I overcome this temptation/ problem?

ok so I am a Christian too and, unlike many other comments on this post, I'm not gonna be rude. (You'll be surprised at what you're missing out on in "life"!!) Personally I haven't had the issues you do but I've heard a lot about the whole situation. After reading and hearing so much about it I came to the (personal) conclusion that it is a sin because you do it for your own "pleasure" and it is therefore selfish. Others may disagree and I'd like to hear what they have to say but that's what I think on the matter - people seem to have different views regarding this topic.

Hope that helps in some way :smile: x

Latest

Trending

Trending