The Student Room Group

MPA at the LSE

Just wondering if anyone who has applied for the MPA program at the LSE has had a decision yet? Conscious that it's still relatively early in the application cycle but I would love to hear from other applicants. Seems like such an interesting program - fingers crossed!
Edit/Delete Message

Scroll to see replies

Hello catch-cato, I've not applied to this programme but I attended its talk at the LSE Graduate Open Day, I feel I should share with you what I heard about it. Basically, it has been defined as very competitive to get into, and work experience is not only a plus but almost a pre-requisite. It also has one of the heaviest work-loads you can find among masters in the School. Of course, it's one of the best MPAs you can apply to in Europe and it opens you many doors after graduation.

These things I'm sure you already know, but that of application is a time of uncertainties, and I hope I can confirm what you already know and clarify any eventual doubts you could have upon these matters :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! So true about the applications process being a time of uncertainty - I also attended the Open Day and spent hours interrogating everyone that was remotely connected with the MPA program. But it does seem like such a fab program - here's hoping for an offer. Best of luck with your applications.
catch_cato
Thank you! So true about the applications process being a time of uncertainty - I also attended the Open Day and spent hours interrogating everyone that was remotely connected with the MPA program. But it does seem like such a fab program - here's hoping for an offer. Best of luck with your applications.

Thanks, best of luck to you too!

If you were there during the second event of the last Open Day the previous winter, 6.15-7.15 I think, we have been attending the same talk then (MSc Global Politics and MPA), or well anyway we've been both there. The world is small, as a village ... a global one :smile:
Reply 4
TheSocialScientist
Thanks, best of luck to you too!

If you were there during the second event of the last Open Day the previous winter, 6.15-7.15 I think, we have been attending the same talk then (MSc Global Politics and MPA), or well anyway we've been both there. The world is small, as a village ... a global one :smile:

Just thought I'd say that I managed to get into the MPA - tremendously excited, excited, excited! Best of luck with your applications!
Reply 5
catch_cato
Just thought I'd say that I managed to get into the MPA - tremendously excited, excited, excited! Best of luck with your applications!

Congrats!! What track are you again? perhaps we'll see each other next fall. I feel I have a difficult decision to make coming up...
Reply 6
Thanks! I put in for the PPM track but I think the bulk of the first year is common courses so likely that if you do take up LSE (which you absolutely must!) then I will indeed see you in September! Best of luck with the decision (not that there is one to make....!).
Reply 7
catch_cato
Thanks! I put in for the PPM track but I think the bulk of the first year is common courses so likely that if you do take up LSE (which you absolutely must!) then I will indeed see you in September! Best of luck with the decision (not that there is one to make....!).

Are you considering the dual degree program and do the 2nd year elsewhere? That's a big attraction about LSE to me, though the high price of MPA program is not. :smile:
Hey everyone, I too applied to the MPA and am absolutely fascinated by the programme.
My application was sent to the department end of December and I haven't gotten a response yet... Can't wait now...
I applied for the International Development track and am not sure yet about the dual degree option although it's very tempting, especially Columbia I think.
Reply 9
Hello All,
I'd like to add myself to the unofficial count. I applied to LSE's MPA (PPM) 1/10 received the complete application at 1/22. Did not apply anywhere else. Did not submit GRE/GMAT scores, feel confident about my statement and have 3.6 US undergrad and 2:1 British Master's degree. BTW second choice was MPA ID.

I would love to hear about people's motivations for applying to the LSE MPA.

Good luck to you all!
-L
Reply 10
Best of luck! My application took just over 7 weeks from the date it was forwarded to the department. Think you should be okay without the GMAT scores - I didn't submit any mostly because I was in a pretty full-on job at the time and just couldn't find enough time to practise sentence correction and fraction conversion (!). But luckily it didn't seem to matter in the end. I also have a feeling my personal statement was too long (like 50% over the word count) but I had a lot to say! I am really looking forward to starting the program in September - I have heard such good things about it and I think it will be a really engaging, interesting and frankly fun program. Hope I'll be seeing you guys later in the year!
Reply 11
Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately, I was rejected from both the public management and international development track. I'm actually very surprised by the "ding". So, application received notice on 22-Jan and rejected on 15-Feb from both choices--very fast turn around.

Best of luck to everyone out there waiting!
lolo
Reply 12
I sent in my acceptance, just need to work through fafsa and get my money in place. Super pumped!

There's a good chance I'll be going for Sciences Po for year two, and potentially applying to HEC Paris - apparently you can complete an HEC MBA pretty quickly there if you do an MSc at LSE (I assume an MPA would get the same treatment).

Wendy - don't worry about the price, as I always say the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten - come to LSE!
rnmks84
I sent in my acceptance, just need to work through fafsa and get my money in place. Super pumped!

There's a good chance I'll be going for Sciences Po for year two, and potentially applying to HEC Paris - apparently you can complete an HEC MBA pretty quickly there if you do an MSc at LSE (I assume an MPA would get the same treatment).

Wendy - don't worry about the price, as I always say the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten - come to LSE!

Hi there! Interesting point regarding HEC Paris! I was not aware of that option. How does that work? An extra year after the 2 year MPA? I was set on LSE until Sciences Po made me a big offer with their international affairs program. decisions decisions!
Reply 14
Yes, would be an extra year after the MPA

Good luck with your decision, keep us posted!
I have just received my offer for the International Development stream. I'm really relieved after all that waiting (7 weeks exactly) and incredibly excited! See you all in autumn then :smile:
Reply 16
Congrats dennis! Great news

PS the housing application is now activated - I put in for shared rms at Grosvenor, Nurthumb, and Holborn, then Hughes, Canterbury and Commonwealth at UL - also checking out some private options but figured best to apply early, guess I will get a response in ~28 days and then not sure how long I can hold the housing offer
Hi everyone.
I just wanted your inputs on the MPA ID:

How well recognised is it and what kind of jobs can one do thereafter?

The first year appears to be more academi and the second more hands-on.

in case of the dual degree, any idea how many people actually go to the second uni?

Thanks a bunch guys!
Hi everyone

I have also applied to the MPA ID.

Wanted to know what kind of jobs are available after completing the course? How well recognised is the MPA in the market?

Just want to know what are the options...

Cheers!
xdennis900
Hey everyone, I too applied to the MPA and am absolutely fascinated by the programme.
My application was sent to the department end of December and I haven't gotten a response yet... Can't wait now...
I applied for the International Development track and am not sure yet about the dual degree option although it's very tempting, especially Columbia I think.

Hi
would you know what are the qualifying criteria for the second year at columbia? relevant work experience, for example? would be great if you could share your thoughts!
cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest