The Student Room Group

Madeleine McCann's parents 'no doubt' case will reopen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17924623

Madeleine McCann's parents 'no doubt' case will reopen Gerry and Kate McCann say they are 'hopeful' their missing daughter will be found.

The parents of Madeleine McCann "have no doubt" that Portuguese authorities will reopen the investigation into their missing daughter's disappearance.

On the eve of the fifth anniversary of their daughter's disappearance, Kate and Gerry McCann added their voices to calls from Scotland Yard last week.

The Portuguese attorney-general's office say the case will stay closed, unless there are credible new facts.

Madeleine, from Rothley, Leics, was nearly four when she disappeared.

The family were on holiday in the Algarve at the time.

Gerry McCann said: "I think it's fairly clear that the case will have to be reopened for [investigation opportunities] to be pursued adequately.

"We were not expecting a knee-jerk reaction by any means. This is an ongoing dialogue, and I am sure the investigation will get opened again in due course.

"I have no doubt about that. It will get reopened."

The official Portuguese investigation into Madeleine's disappearance concluded in July 2008, although private detectives employed by the McCanns continued the search.

Operation Grange, a review by Scotland Yard investigators, was set up in May 2010 after UK Prime Minister David Cameron responded to a plea from the McCann family.

Metropolitan police officers have so far identified 195 potential new leads after analysing 40,000 pieces of information.

The officer leading the process, Det Ch Insp Andy Redwood, said the Metropolitan Police would like the case to resume, but stressed that the decision was one for Portugal.

On 26 April, Pedro do Carmo, deputy head of the Portuguese criminal police department, told the AFP news agency: "There are no new elements at the moment that would allow for the reopening of the inquiry."

But Mr do Carmo said a team of investigators would "re-examine elements of the inquiry" in collaboration with the British police, stressing this was normal practice and did not amount to a reopening.

Speaking about the Portuguese authorities' apparent reluctance to restart their investigation, Mr McCann said: "The only way everyone will be able to move on is for the case to be solved, and that is for Madeleine to be found and the perpetrators brought to justice.

The McCanns used a press conference on Wednesday to make a fresh appeal for information or clues, that could help find Madeleine.

They added that the fifth anniversary of their daughter's disappearance has been easier than previous landmarks, because of these positive recent developments.

Kate McCann said: "Comparing to this time last year, at that point we didn't have the review in place, and now we do. Such progress has been made that has definitely given us a lift and makes things more hopeful."

Her husband said Scotland Yard's public statements last week backed up what the couple have been saying for three-and-a-half years.

Mr McCann said: "Probably for the first time in four-and-a-half years, information [is] coming in, and you know it's going to get through to officers who are actively pursuing the information."

Is anyone else annoyed that this is getting so much attention? Loads of kids go missing everyday but we don't stop the world to look for them, and it's been YEARS. I hate how they don't take responsibility for their daughter's disappearence too. In my opinion, this needs to stop, because if it does not you can guarentee there will be a story about this case every few months for the rest of our lifetimes :eek:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's sad that she hasn't been found. She was so young.

I agree though OP theres hundreds if not thousands of people missing. Do they get the same attention as this case has? No. Do the families have anywhere near as much support as the McCann's do? No. Has there been any real proof to reopen the case (Rumours of a look alike, that's just clutching at straws for me)? No.

The case should be put to bed. I don't know how many years it's been since she went missing, must be 5 years or so, it's time to forget. Surely the amount spent on this case should go towards the other hundreds that have gone missing recently.
Yeah but they can't accept that she's missing. Why are they bothering, it's been many years and the person who took her is well off the radar.

It's a very sad story, but it was their fault for leaving her unattended, what a shame, considering they were qualified doctors, it was shocking.....
Yes the parents were stupid for leaving her to go have dinner with their friends in a foreign country, yes this has been getting a ridiculous amount of attention when chances are that the person is long gone, but it's still a very sad story and it's nice to see that they're still determined to find her even if it was their fault for leaving her in the first place. Also, I understand that this has been getting much more attention than your average kidnapping but just because other cases haven't gotten this much attention doesn't mean that this one shouldn't have.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
It's a pretty disgusting fact that if she was from a poor, single parent black family she wouldn't have received half the coverage. Obviously it's a tragedy and I can't imagine what the parents went through but she shouldn't be favoured because she's a blonde girl swiped from her middle-class family - all abductions should be given the same importance.
Reply 5
Original post by coconut2456
Yes the parents were stupid for leaving her to go have dinner with their friends in a foreign country, yes this has been getting a ridiculous amount of attention when chances are that the person is long gone, but it's still a very sad story and it's nice to see that they're still determined to find her even if it was their fault for leaving her in the first place. Also, I understand that this has been getting much more attention than your average kidnapping but just because other cases haven't gotten this much attention doesn't mean that this one shouldn't have.

I think the fact she was so young and it being in a foreign country was the reason it became public, otherwise I don't think the media would of caught on to it.
Reply 6
I do agree, that the parents were irresponsible in this case, however because of this, it is often over looked that Madeline was a victim. And it's very easy for us to say 'it's been many years.' I doubt any parent would give up searching for their child and all of them no doubt fight to have the media coverage Madeline has had / has.

That said I'm not disagreeing that it is time (it was time years ago) for other missing children to be highlighted and that the media should stop the obscene amount of coverage this one missing child is getting. Others don't even get a look in.
Reply 7
Original post by Kawa
I do agree, that the parents were irresponsible in this case, however because of this, it is often over looked that Madeline was a victim. And it's very easy for us to say 'it's been many years.' I doubt any parent would give up searching for their child and all of them no doubt fight to have the media coverage Madeline has had / has.

That said I'm not disagreeing that it is time (it was time years ago) for other missing children to be highlighted and that the media should stop the obscene amount of coverage this one missing child is getting. Others don't even get a look in.

I don't know how many there are that are similar cases, where abduction from a family on holiday took place. Has anyone heard of others? It appears to be partly the rarity of this occurrence that has stimulated so much controversy.
Original post by coconut2456

Kate wrote a book about it. She's essentially profiting from the disappearance of her daughter that her and her husband caused to happen.

Yes it's a sad case, but she hasn't been found after 5 years. She'll never be found. And even if she did (assuming that she's still alive, anyway), do they honestly think that she'll let them back into her life after everything that's happened? I certainly wouldn't.

Resources are better spent doing other things than looking for one girl (out of the hundreds of thousands of people that disappear each year) that is likely to be dead and buried in a shallow grave.

Yes, again, it's sad. But at some point they're going to have to face up to the harsh reality of the situation, and just let go (obviously that's not going to be as easy as it sounds, but you get my point).
Reply 9
Original post by Drunk Punx
Kate wrote a book about it. She's essentially profiting from the disappearance of her daughter that her and her husband caused to happen.

Yes it's a sad case, but she hasn't been found after 5 years. She'll never be found. And even if she did (assuming that she's still alive, anyway), do they honestly think that she'll let them back into her life after everything that's happened? I certainly wouldn't.

Resources are better spent doing other things than looking for one girl (out of the hundreds of thousands of people that disappear each year) that is likely to be dead and buried in a shallow grave.

Yes, again, it's sad. But at some point they're going to have to face up to the harsh reality of the situation, and just let go (obviously that's not going to be as easy as it sounds, but you get my point).

Advances and profits from the book sale go to the official fund to find Madeleine, not into their own pockets, as you maliciously allege.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/nov/15/mcanns-book-search-madeleine

As mentioned above, the funds are going towards the search for her daughter, so that point is moot.

You wouldn't? Fair enough that their carelessness lead to her disappearance but they clearly still care for her and are determined to find her, otherwise they wouldn't still be trying to look for her. One moment of stupidity shouldn't outweigh the 4 years they spent with her and the 5 they spent searching but I would hope that if she is found then this whole experience would have made them less careless
Original post by xxm
I think the fact she was so young and it being in a foreign country was the reason it became public, otherwise I don't think the media would of caught on to it.

actually I think all the attention it got was more because she was definitely deliberately taken rather than just "lost", which could have meant she had just wandered off and fell into a river or whatever.
Reply 12

What a disgusting and cynical thing to say. Do you really believe they CAUSED it? They made a mistake that tens of thousands of parents will have made and someone stole their little girl. People like you who rail against them for trying repeatedly to get her back are seriously in need of a hobby such as lying in roads or kicking things in a scrapyard.
Reply 13
Sad thing is that she probably wont remember her parents even if she is found
I don't feel annoyed that they want to keep the case open, because she's their child. You would fight to the end to get your child back. Maybe it's getting far far too much attention in comparison to other children who have gone missing but it just proves the determination of her parents to get her back.
Reply 15
Original post by James A
It's a very sad story, but it was their fault for leaving her unattended, what a shame, considering they were qualified doctors, it was shocking.....

It's shocking that they were parents and they left her unattended. Doctors aren't super-human and exempt from royally ****ing up.
Original post by Eunuch
It's shocking that they were parents and they left her unattended. Doctors aren't super-human and exempt from royally ****ing up.

Your making it sound as if it was a mistake.

Leaving a child unattended whilst having a lush dinner is no mistake, don't get me wrong on that one. Even someone with half a brain would realise that keeping your child by themselves, without a carer is bad.
It's getting attention because there's money in it. The parents are selling their stories and interviews to the Daily Mail and the rest of the juvenile tabloids that report on it and they're all making lots of money out of it because they make big sensationalist headlines about it which draw in more brain-dead readers who have nothing more interesting or important to care about. It isn't new and I hate as much as OP, but it isn't going to change. Best to just ignore it.

Rant over.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
As someone who hopes to be mother in the very near future there is no excuse for leaving your kids unattended.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
1. ****ing annoying. Makes you mad at all the young children who disappear and don't even get national headlines.

2. As a parent would you not do anything and everything to get your child back?

3. Is it healthy that they still haven't accepted their daughter is dead / will never return?

I think the only conclusion we can have is let them do this if that is what they want. If you get fed up by it, skip right past it and don't bother reading.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending