The Student Room Group

In terms of worthwhile...

A lot of people at Uni are applying for work experience either over the summer or on a p/t basis throughout the year. I can't do this, as I need to work a 'real job' to pay for things that other people may have the privilege of not needing to, as my family's financial situation is tight.

I was just wondering what employers, or even those looking at postgraduate applications, would prefer: someone who has held down a low-key job in a supermarket for years or someone who has undertaken experience in the University situation?

Although the positions seem to have fancy names that sound good (democracy and partication monitor or something) all they seem to do is basic admin jobs any normal job would provide experience of.

I currently have two jobs in retail to pay for things so I am completely cancelled out of being able to apply for those sorts of positions. I just hope this doesn't harm my employment/postgraduate chances after.
Reply 1
There are some decently paid jobs out there for getting good work experience. You could ask your uni careers service if they are advertising any. My uni actually run a work experience scheme where you get a bursary of £600 or £1200, which works out to excellent pay per hour. I wish I had done this, but it's too late now.

I've only done 'real jobs' for the same reason as you. I'm about to graduate and now I regret it. Applying to jobs, I'm having to compete with people who have work experience that is more relevant/fancy than mine and it's a biatch.

Otherwise maybe you can organise just a little voluntary work experience for summer, like literally just a week or two, that way it won't matter so much if it's unpaid. Also you could try and get work in the sector/industry you are interested in going into after graduating, that will help with job apps. For example if you wanted to go into tourism you could work as a hotel receptionist, if you wanted to go into banking you could be a bank cashier, etc. Or you could try and stick with one job the whole way through uni and get promoted, employers always like that.

Still having some work experience is better than none, so you have an advantage there :smile:
Reply 2
Hmm not really what I wanted to hear.

It's not so much that these are unpaid - most actually pay well, like you say. It is more that I don't want to leave either of my jobs as they're permanent positions.

I was thinking that re. promotion. One of my jobs is at Uni and they often promote people to supervisor (which comes with a healthy pay rise). I just wonder whether doing this, as well as volunteering over the summer, will be better or equal than those who do these placements.
Reply 3
I guess it all depends on what job you want to go for when you graduate, and your degree, etc.

I did English and I'm thinking about going into marketing and it looks like I'm going to have to do some low paid or voluntary work to get my foot in the door.
Reply 4
Original post by meow444
I guess it all depends on what job you want to go for when you graduate, and your degree, etc.

I did English and I'm thinking about going into marketing and it looks like I'm going to have to do some low paid or voluntary work to get my foot in the door.

Postgraduate mostly, I think I will definitely do a masters.

I've applied for work over the summer in a local oral history archive which is twinned with my Uni. I study history and politics. It looks genuinely interesting and will be a great addition to my CV.

Indeed. How about looking at local papers and stuff? Try and write a few articles? It's not marketing but shows aptitude of written work and being published is never a bad thing.
Reply 5
Original post by CUFCDan
Postgraduate mostly, I think I will definitely do a masters.

I've applied for work over the summer in a local oral history archive which is twinned with my Uni. I study history and politics. It looks genuinely interesting and will be a great addition to my CV.

Indeed. How about looking at local papers and stuff? Try and write a few articles? It's not marketing but shows aptitude of written work and being published is never a bad thing.

Yes that's a good idea I've been considering that. Once I've got my dissertation and uni work out of the way and I've graduated I can try things like that. It would have helped to have written for my uni newspaper too, but I wasn't really considering this career path until recently and now it's too late.

That sounds like a cool job. I think if you do a masters you will find it pretty easy to get work. I wish I could afford to do one. Might do one abroad where they are cheaper/free in the future, once I have some money saved.
Reply 6
Original post by meow444

That sounds like a cool job. I think if you do a masters you will find it pretty easy to get work. I wish I could afford to do one. Might do one abroad where they are cheaper/free in the future, once I have some money saved.

I've been saving and working this year to help pay for it. I don't get anything from parents unfortunately, so it's been a tough year cutting corners and stuff to save up. Not got it all, but a decent amount for a year.

You could work a year and save, or do it p/t

Quick Reply